2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

Wentz’s stock didn’t really go into overdrive until much later on in the process. No way was he looked at as being the second overall pick this early on.

The truth of the matter is there will never be ‘the perfect qb’ every year these QBs come through and we hear all the negatives etc but they turn into franchise QBs. 

I’d rather swing and miss but try and get that franchise qb than keep up with these washed out vets.

The last three years we’ve had Fitzpatrick and McCown. Both had careers years and yet we were never even close to a super bowl. Didn’t even make the playoffs. Can’t keep this horrendous cycle going on. We need our de facto franchise qb. Either sign Cousins or go get the QB in the draft no matter the cost.

I agree about just bringing back these vets. I fully expect us to try and sign Cousins and maybe someone else if we miss out on Cousins (maybe the odd man out in Minnesota). If that doesn’t work I think we draft one in Round 1. Not sure if that will be at 6, or a trade up to get the guy we want.

But from a team building perspective... signing Cousins is the best for the franchise. Bc in a trade up scenario we’d have to give up 2 very valuable picks (less young talent in the roster). Where if we sign Cousins we still have all of our picks and a good QB that has a good 7yrs if football in him still.

56 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree about just bringing back these vets. I fully expect us to try and sign Cousins and maybe someone else if we miss out on Cousins (maybe the odd man out in Minnesota). If that doesn’t work I think we draft one in Round 1. Not sure if that will be at 6, or a trade up to get the guy we want.

But from a team building perspective... signing Cousins is the best for the franchise. Bc in a trade up scenario we’d have to give up 2 very valuable picks (less young talent in the roster). Where if we sign Cousins we still have all of our picks and a good QB that has a good 7yrs if football in him still.

I agree that the best case scenario for us is signing Cousins. 

With the HC we have we need instant talent as I can’t see him playing and developing a rookie.

If we had an offensive minded HC who had experience developing QBs and knew he had the time in doing so then obviously getting our guy in the draft would be amazing. 

Bowles is on the hot seat and therefore would sacrifice the future of the team for an extra win or two in order to save his job. 

4 minutes ago, xenajets said:

With the HC we have we need instant talent as I can’t see him playing and developing a rookie.

If we had an offensive minded HC who had experience developing QBs and knew he had the time in doing so then obviously getting our guy in the draft would be amazing. 

Bowles is on the hot seat and therefore would sacrifice the future of the team for an extra win or two in order to save his job. 

Why is Bowles on the hot seat? Management seems to really like him.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Why is Bowles on the hot seat? Management seems to really like him.

After getting this band aid two year extension it’s giving him limited time to make something happen.

If we don’t compete for the playoffs (actually I think maybe even make the playoffs) then he will be gone no doubt about it. 

3 minutes ago, xenajets said:

After getting this band aid two year extension it’s giving him limited time to make something happen.

If we don’t compete for the playoffs (actually I think maybe even make the playoffs) then he will be gone no doubt about it. 

I think depends what we do in FA and the draft. If we get Cousins and do the rest of the off season good, he needs to make the playoffs or he is in the hot seat. If we go the draft a QB route and actually play that rookie... then he has a longer string. I don’t think he has to make the playoffs than. But he will need to get atleast 7 wins I’d say.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think depends what we do in FA and the draft. If we get Cousins and do the rest of the off season good, he needs to make the playoffs or he is in the hot seat. If we go the draft a QB route and actually play that rookie... then he has a longer string. I don’t think he has to make the playoffs than. But he will need to get atleast 7 wins I’d say.

I know but the big question remains if he actually would play the rookie. This year he continued to play McCown, Kerley and Forte. We should of gone to Petty/Hack earlier, probably released Forte to be fair to him and if it wasn’t for his suspension Kerley would no doubt still of played a big part. 

My biggest fear is that come next September we have a rookie battling it out for 2nd team reps with Hack whilst McCown is the starter. With all the money and draft capital we need more.

I’m really open this offseason to be encouraged by Macc and Bowles but I do have reservations. Would love nothing more than Bowles to do well here but things need to change. 

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

I don't know. I think if the team continues to show development, he will stay. I read this contract including what management said about him as "we like what you are doing but need to continue seeing more before we give you a long-term deal". But nothing that would suggest it's playoff or bust. I mean he is under contract for 3 more years. 

It's pretty clear the entire organization is on the same page with developing this team for the long haul. As long as Bowles shows he is a good coach for that philosophy, he will stay. This is to say, I don't think management is in the we have to make the playoff at all cost mode. It's very different than what the Jets have been as well as what most NY teams have been.

14 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I don't know. I think if the team continues to show development, he will stay. I read this contract including what management said about him as "we like what you are doing but need to continue seeing more before we give you a long-term deal". But nothing that would suggest it's playoff or bust. I mean he is under contract for 3 more years. 

It's pretty clear the entire organization is on the same page with developing this team for the long haul. As long as Bowles shows he is a good coach for that philosophy, he will stay. This is to say, I don't think management is in the we have to make the playoff at all cost mode. It's very different than what the Jets have been as well as what most NY teams have been.

I get completely what your saying but it’s not like management are going to come out and express its playoffs or bust. No free agent would want to sign for us knowing the HC may leave the next year. The same goes with draft picks. 

For me I don’t really think Bowles has showed enough but I’m looking forward to this year and what he can do. You can’t play a qb who’s nearly 40 and be classed as developing. We are treading water so to speak but a good offseason can do wonders. I’m cautiously optimistic.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

Bowles and Maccagnan have different options on Hackenberg. That is a nightmare.  Perhaps Jets should hire Bruce Arians as special talent staff. Every extra option regarding qb is a bonus just in case if Cousins picks other team.

10 hours ago, xenajets said:

I know but the big question remains if he actually would play the rookie. This year he continued to play McCown, Kerley and Forte. We should of gone to Petty/Hack earlier, probably released Forte to be fair to him and if it wasn’t for his suspension Kerley would no doubt still of played a big part. 

Forte was guaranteed his entire 2017 salary, made no sense to cut him. It's hard to say we wouldn't have eased off Kerley considering he only played the first 7 games. I'm not sure what you saw out of Petty or Hack that would make you want to see more out of them, if we started anyone other than McCown it would have been a disservice to the rest of the roster.

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Forte was guaranteed his entire 2017 salary, made no sense to cut him. It's hard to say we wouldn't have eased off Kerley considering he only played the first 7 games. I'm not sure what you saw out of Petty or Hack that would make you want to see more out of them, if we started anyone other than McCown it would have been a disservice to the rest of the roster.

Okay maybe traded him then rather than released him. It’s not that difficult of a stretch to say he wouldn’t of eased him off. I personallly don’t think he would of.

As to the qb situation, the problem is I didn’t see anything of Hack as he never had the chance. Petty proved to be awful and should be gone this offseason. I dont think just because of that you can say it’s better to keep rolling out McCown. 

The positives of playing Petty are that we all saw he’s not up to it. That’s roster development right there. He’s been here three years and that’s the fruits of the labour. This is what scares me about drafting a rookie in the first round 

My feelings are Bowles is the least of our problems now. It is all about the FA period & how we do in the draft. We must be ;patient, we won't know anything for three months. We should be talking about players who will be eligible for the draft, not some of these silly topics that keep popping up.

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Okay maybe traded him then rather than released him. It’s not that difficult of a stretch to say he wouldn’t of eased him off. I personallly don’t think he would of.

As to the qb situation, the problem is I didn’t see anything of Hack as he never had the chance. Petty proved to be awful and should be gone this offseason. I dont think just because of that you can say it’s better to keep rolling out McCown. 

The positives of playing Petty are that we all saw he’s not up to it. That’s roster development right there. He’s been here three years and that’s the fruits of the labour. This is what scares me about drafting a rookie in the first round 

I understand wanting to see Hack and Petty from a fan perspective but the issues they have are accuracy and reading a defense presnap. It is a great feeling when we can say "oo well at least we know" but those are both qualities that can be seen in practice and Bowles likely knew they wouldn't have been able to grade the roster if either saw significant time.

27 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I understand wanting to see Hack and Petty from a fan perspective but the issues they have are accuracy and reading a defense presnap. It is a great feeling when we can say "oo well at least we know" but those are both qualities that can be seen in practice and Bowles likely knew they wouldn't have been able to grade the roster if either saw significant time.

I think it’s more that we technically weren't eliminated from the playoffs until later in the season bc the AFC was weak. I think Bowles is big on doing things in order. Hack clearly has more talent and a higher ceiling than Petty, but Petty has been in the league longer and deserved the chance 1st in his eyes. I think we had zero desire to play Hack until year 3. We knew he was a 2yr project. I still stand by he will get a chance to start before most the rookies if we draft them, For the reasons I just mentioned on why we started Petty over Hack. Rosen I think may be the only guy that would bypass Hack on the depth chart in year 1 with Bowles at HC.

On 12/01/2018 at 3:36 PM, ekill08x said:

Drafting a QB just isnt the efficient move based on where we are drafting and our massive amount of cap space. Spend the money, solidify the position for the first time ever and draft BPA at 6. There are a decent amount of good QBs in this draft for sure, but not a single one is a cant miss prospect or one that is worth trading up for. 

What if the BPA IS a quarterback? Wouldn't that be the most efficient move? And chances are, at No. 6 there will be at least one QB who would be considered the BPA.

On 12/01/2018 at 7:36 PM, KingOfTheDot said:

I agree with sending Cleveland whatever for #1 if that was possible. 

Rams and Eagles seem to not be concerned with what they dealt to move up. 

There is no Wentz sitting there at No. 1 overall this year, though. IF anyone is going to turn into Carson Wentz from this year's crop, it will be Mayfield, Jackson or maybe Allen. So it's more of a Deshaun Watson situation than a Wentz situation.

Goff was a disaster in Year 1, turned a major corner this year. Let's see what happens next. I'm not sold.

On 13/01/2018 at 9:14 AM, xenajets said:

Morton developed (I mean, REALLY developed) McCown's game this past season. If he can do that, he can probably develop a younger, better player.

20 hours ago, xenajets said:

My biggest fear is that come next September we have a rookie battling it out for 2nd team reps with Hack whilst McCown is the starter. With all the money and draft capital we need more.

I’m really open this offseason to be encouraged by Macc and Bowles but I do have reservations. Would love nothing more than Bowles to do well here but things need to change. 

Kerley was a questionable move, for sure. But for the last time, not playing Petty/Hackenberg actually helped this offense develop over the course of the season. Morton would not have been able to do what he did with a clueless rookie QB. We made the right call, we played our best QB.

Archived