2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Barkley, Nelson, Chubb. Any of those 6 would be a better investment IMO then another DB.

Eventually we need to start drafting good offensive talent (or a pass rusher.) Just my take on it. 

My argument is that CB has become just as valuable as a pass rusher would be in terms of team building perspective.

Just now, Dr.O said:

My argument is that CB has become just as valuable as a pass rusher would be in terms of team building perspective.

I agree, CB is a premium position. Maybe I’m jaded after Kyle Wilson/Milliner but it’s just not the direction I would go, unless he was very clearly the top player left on my board. Like I said, my gut probably just wants to go a different route since we’ve been drafting defensive players so high the last decade and don’t have much at all to show for it.

Id love a shutdown CB, but if it came down to say Barkley vs Fitzpatrick this year, I’m taking Barkley every time. We’ll see what Mac does.

Still irks me he didn’t have the balls to take Watson at 6 last year, if the reports of him trying to trade back up are true.

5 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I agree, CB is a premium position. Maybe I’m jaded after Kyle Wilson/Milliner but it’s just not the direction I would go, unless he was very clearly the top player left on my board. Like I said, my gut probably just wants to go a different route since we’ve been drafting defensive players so high the last decade and don’t have much at all to show for it.

Id love a shutdown CB, but if it came down to say Barkley vs Fitzpatrick this year, I’m taking Barkley every time. We’ll see what Mac does.

Still irks me he didn’t have the balls to take Watson at 6 last year, if the reports of him trying to trade back up are true.

I would take Barkley as well but i just seriously doubt he would be available at our pick. The only guys I'd take over Barkley at this point would be Baker, Rosen, Darnold, and probably Chubb.

19 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Rosen could fall out of top 5. However, if Jets got Cousins, it must be either Sutton or St. Brown.   Kearse and Anderson led the team with 1st down receptions (37 and 36 respectively).   Redskins have been running the same offense for a several seasons and yet 1st down reception leader holds 38 something.  Despite Cousins being able to spray all field, paying Cousins a lot of money and not getting number one WR would be disastrous.

Now, I begin to like Northern Iowa WR Daurice Fountain who has been a hot name in Shrine Game week.  Almost 6 3 with 34 inch arm length. Very impressive with body adjustment and jump ability. So far, he proves he can explode into routes and separate defenders very well.  Pass on Sutton and St.Brown for him will be okay with me.

Even if they light up the combine, they won't be top 10 picks.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if St. Brown is there when we pick in the 2nd.  Sutton will likely not go top 15 IMO.  

20 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Because that’s not really how it works.. “might” be better doesn’t mean anything. 

Theres a reason why Rosen/Darnold are touted the way they are vs Mayfield/Jackson. The latter “might” be better but if you want one of the other two you gotta pay to get them. If Mac truly believes Rosen is a better player than Mayfield then he needs to do what he needs to do to get him. If he thinks Mayfield is the best QB in the draft then maybe he sits pat or maybe he even still needs to trade up in front of Denver. What Mac shouldn’t do is settle for the “leftovers”

It’s all about what the GM sees and this is a GM who saw something in Hackenberg so, I’m not confident in whatever move he makes.

Alex Smith and Brady Quinn were also touted, but Aaron Rodgers turned into the franchise QB of that draft. I don't care who is touted. Those who are touted are those considered the 'prototypical' NFL QB. 

There are fewer and fewer of those guys who are successful in the NFL today. Mobility is now very, very important. Big arms are nice, but not the most important thing. 

And hell, Lamar Jackson has a big arm and the fastest wheels. 

9 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Alex Smith and Brady Quinn were also touted, but Aaron Rodgers turned into the franchise QB of that draft. I don't care who is touted. Those who are touted are those considered the 'prototypical' NFL QB. 

There are fewer and fewer of those guys who are successful in the NFL today. Mobility is now very, very important. Big arms are nice, but not the most important thing. 

And hell, Lamar Jackson has a big arm and the fastest wheels. 

Yeah, I’m just addressing your proposition to sit at 6 and hope the QB they want is still there. It’s not smart unless yeah, Lamar Jackson is the guy they want (doubt it though) and even then it’s not a lock he’s still there.

Im just saying if Mac wants one of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield maybe even Josh Allen (or Jackson could rise by draft time) he’s likely going to need to trade some picks to move up a bit.

And the reason why it matters how guys are touted is because it affects their draft position. Regardless of whether or not they actually become a good QB.

46 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Yeah, I’m just addressing your proposition to sit at 6 and hope the QB they want is still there. It’s not smart unless yeah, Lamar Jackson is the guy they want (doubt it though) and even then it’s not a lock he’s still there.

Im just saying if Mac wants one of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield maybe even Josh Allen (or Jackson could rise by draft time) he’s likely going to need to trade some picks to move up a bit.

And the reason why it matters how guys are touted is because it affects their draft position. Regardless of whether or not they actually become a good QB.

If Mac doesn't get cousins, I think his gameplan needs to be "which three QB's do I like best?" and trade up to Indy at 3 to snag one of them.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

We really don't have the luxury to pick up a corner. Elite or not, they don't win games. We need to take an offensive piece. QB, T, RB - something to give us life and give our defense a rest.

Well no one is going to claim we take a CB over a QB, but it could certainly be argued that none of these tackles look worthy. I'll wait until after the combine to see the OL that rise but this draft doesn't appear to have a consensus top LT. If we go OL early I'd like Nelson but would understand taking Fitzpatrick. I don't believe Barkley will be there at 6 otherwise he could be the pick.

We can't take a CB or an O-lineman this year. Certainly not a guard. James Carpenter and Brian Winters are OK. Maybe nothing special, but we need to hit a home run with the sixth pick and we need to hit an offensive homer at that. MAYBE I could get on board for Chubb because an edge rusher is another fairly glaring need, but one of the QB's or Barkley should be the focus. 

Cleveland - Allen, Darnold, Fitzpatrick 

NY Giants - Rosen, Darnold

Indianapolis - Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick

Cleveland - Fitzpatrick, Barkley, trade down?

Denver - Mayfield, Darnold, Allen

That is how I see the top of the draft going, so I think one of the QB's or Barkley should be there for us.

10 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

We can't take a CB or an O-lineman this year. Certainly not a guard. James Carpenter and Brian Winters are OK. Maybe nothing special, but we need to hit a home run with the sixth pick and we need to hit an offensive homer at that. MAYBE I could get on board for Chubb because an edge rusher is another fairly glaring need, but one of the QB's or Barkley should be the focus. 

Cleveland - Allen, Darnold, Fitzpatrick 

NY Giants - Rosen, Darnold

Indianapolis - Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick

Cleveland - Fitzpatrick, Barkley, trade down?

Denver - Mayfield, Darnold, Allen

That is how I see the top of the draft going, so I think one of the QB's or Barkley should be there for us.

No one is arguing against anything you just said.  If Barkley is gone and we signed Cousins, are you still implying we take a QB? I think 3 QBs go in the top 5 with the other 2 picks being Chubb and Barkley so in that situation what do you do? 

For me it's either the generational guard to protect Cousins along with signing Jensen or the stud DB. I'd prefer to fill WR in FA if we deem that a need.

I am not even acknowledging the Cousins scenario, because I don't see it happening (nor do I want to see it happen). 

We have to stop thinking like we're the big fish in the pond. We're minnows right now. We need to draft a QB and develop him into our starter and possible franchise player. We then need to upgrade several positions via free agency and the rest of the draft, re-sign our key free agents and hire the right, competent offensive coordinator.

Cousins, who has had a rocky relationship with a dysfunctional organization, is going to pick up and leave Washington to become a Jet? 

Come on.

I would buy the Le'Veon Bell scenario, mostly because of his past (being a Jets fan growing up) and our past history with picking up veteran RB's (Martin, Johnson, Tomlinson, Forte et al). 

But Cousins is simply not an option for us. We have no OC, we have a defensive-minded coach who wants to run the football, we play in the same division as New England, we have terrible luck, a history of incompetence and, despite all that, a mega city filled with built-in expectations and a demanding media.

Not exactly the most attractive football situation for a QB who can pretty much pick and choose where he wants to be. 

Pretty much why I'm slowly fading from the Cousins talk unless we're able to pull in an OC with a great rep and someone like Bell or Graham who QBs would love to play with. We should still shoot our shot, but it's not a great situation right now.

Bowles wants the system that got us to the AFC championship games. I'm not mad at that.

This is what I see happening in the draft. I don't see a trade in the top 5. The only reason the teas trade up is to get a QB. You have 5 QB that could go in the first round. There is no clear cut favorite of the bunch. I think trades might start happening 8-15 range for a QB.

Browns = Sam Darnold, They try again at a QB

Giants = Barkley, I don't buy they want a QB now. Manning will play for another 3 years which gives them a few more years to replace him they want to win now. They need a now.

Colts = Chubbs (NCST) Colts draft the best player in the draft in my opinion. He will hep the D big time.

Browns = Connor Williams. This will give the Browns what they needed a QB and LT. Williams is a franchise LT for the next 10 years. Thomas is old and broken down.

Broncos = Fitzpatrick, Denver will not take a QB. Elway will not give up on Lynch just yet. I do see the signing cousins and grab a shutdown corner to improve a D that has fallen.

Jets = Rosen. I do think Rosen will be here. This will be the guy for the next 12 years.

Archived