2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

17 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’d lose what little faith I have left in Mac if he actually trades away next years 1+ to get Allen. I’m scared that’s what he falls in love with “the prototype” QB

We'll have a group of the most inaccurate QB's ever assembled. They all look like QB's though.

4 hours ago, JetsandI said:

What scares me more is that Allen sucks at off foot throwing.  Bates' offense may require bootleg or rollout.  Not compatiable.   Darnold and Mayfield are perfect for that.

Tyrod would be the perfect vet stopgap option for a rook. 

15 hours ago, SDotNova said:

It boggles my mind when I hear Allen has all the skills because he is athletic and can throw the ball on a line. Those things are great but if you can't hit your target, it doesn't matter. He's missing the most important skill a QB needs...accuracy. 

This ^ 

Accuracy is far and away the most important thing for a QB. Bill Walsh used to make Montana and Young throw the ball softer on purpose. They didn't understand it at first, but the idea is if you aren't rocketing the ball into windows you have to anticipate when they will be open and a ball that is thrown softer is more catchable and generally more accurate. 

The Jets have four draft picks in the first 103 overall picks as things stand now.

First round  the # 6 pick

Second round the # 37 pick

Second round the # 49 pick

Third round the 103 pick

There will be no excuses if Mac screws this up.

I AM NOT WORRIED about Mac in the FA market so far his history has been very good. And we sure have the money to make a big splash in the FA MARKET.

But his draft history is another story, once he gets past the first round his picks have been terrible. You can get a Orangutan to make your high first round picks and can't go wrong.

When you look at the picks we have this year it is sure something to get excited about. Our whole future is on the line in this years off season activities.

The only other time we had draft picks like this year was in 2000 when we had the 12, 13, 18, 27, overall picks in the FIRST ROUND.

Having 4 picks in the top 27 is nothing like having 3 picks in the top 103. This isn’t even as good as we had it in 2013 when we had 4 picks in the top 72 and 2 1st rounders in the top 13.

I like that we are drafting higher and have 2 2nd, but this is far from the best draft scenario we’ve had in awhile. Also the possibility of trading up is big, which would more than likely eliminate our pick at 37 and possibly even more.

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Having 4 picks in the top 27 is nothing like having 3 picks in the top 103. This isn’t even as good as we had it in 2013 when we had 4 picks in the top 72 and 2 1st rounders in the top 13.

I like that we are drafting higher and have 2 2nd, but this is far from the best draft scenario we’ve had in awhile. Also the possibility of trading up is big, which would more than likely eliminate our pick at 37 and possibly even more.

I though we were never going to talk about the Jets 2013 draft again. I had to go to a psychologist to clear my mind about that draft. The Dee Milliner draft, the only player left of those draft  picks four years later is Winters. If that wasn't the worst draft class in Jet history I don't know what was worst.

23 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Just looked at our 2013 and 2014 drafts....yikes, atleast we got some run on Winters and solid years from Sheldon but damn 2014 was just trash outside of Enunwa.

2012 was awful as well. Davis is the only guy on our roster still and we had to trade our 2014 1st Rounder to get him. 2015 is nothing to talk about as well. Leo might be the only guy in the roster come Week 1.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

The Jets have four draft picks in the first 103 overall picks as things stand now.

First round  the # 6 pick

Second round the # 37 pick

Second round the # 49 pick

Third round the 103 pick

There will be no excuses if Mac screws this up.

I AM NOT WORRIED about Mac in the FA market so far his history has been very good. And we sure have the money to make a big splash in the FA MARKET.

But his draft history is another story, once he gets past the first round his picks have been terrible. You can get a Orangutan to make your high first round picks and can't go wrong.

When you look at the picks we have this year it is sure something to get excited about. Our whole future is on the line in this years off season activities.

The only other time we had draft picks like this year was in 2000 when we had the 12, 13, 18, 27, overall picks in the FIRST ROUND.

Stop.  Non 1st rounders:  Marcus Maye, E. Mcguire where immediate contributors last year with Stewart and Hanson looking like they are developing.  Jenkins, Shell and Edwards the year before.  His first draft had Simon, Mauldin and Smith - latter two are incomplete because of injury.

I don't understand why folks believe that every draft pick has to be a home run.  The average career in the NFL is 3 years.  Think about that .. it is not just because of injury.  It is because FO and GMs draft guys who just don't make it.  Many reasons why but you gotta just keep plugging away at the inexact science that is the draft till you find a few golden late round nuggets. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

2012 was awful as well. Davis is the only guy on our roster still and we had to trade our 2014 1st Rounder to get him. 2015 is nothing to talk about as well. Leo might be the only guy in the roster come Week 1.

Man we suck lmao

48 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Stop.  Non 1st rounders:  Marcus Maye, E. Mcguire where immediate contributors last year with Stewart and Hanson looking like they are developing.  Jenkins, Shell and Edwards the year before.  His first draft had Simon, Mauldin and Smith - latter two are incomplete because of injury.

I don't understand why folks believe that every draft pick has to be a home run.  The average career in the NFL is 3 years.  Think about that .. it is not just because of injury.  It is because FO and GMs draft guys who just don't make it.  Many reasons why but you gotta just keep plugging away at the inexact science that is the draft till you find a few golden late round nuggets. 

Your 1st through 3rd Rounders should consistently be contributing players for a team. After that is where a GM shows his talent. You must be watching a different team than us. Maye I’ll give you and maybe even Jenkins (although he’s been average to below average). Stewart and Hansen look to be developing? They caught for a combined 120yds on the whole season. McGuire a consistent contributor? He’s a 3rd RB in the NFL. Edwards? Really we’re going to punters as draft success’. Shell is possibly his only “good” pick to date. To get a starter late in the draft like that. Lozo and Smith might not even be on the team. And Simon never plays. I’m not sure what you’re watching.

49 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

How come Stewart and Hanson can' t make the playing field, and Maye was a early second round pick,  I SAID HIS LATER ROUND PICKS SUCK. And McGuire has shown next to NOTHING.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Your 1st through 3rd Rounders should consistently be contributing players for a team. After that is where a GM shows his talent. You must be watching a different team than us. Maye I’ll give you and maybe even Jenkins (although he’s been average to below average). Stewart and Hansen look to be developing? They caught for a combined 120yds on the whole season. McGuire a consistent contributor? He’s a 3rd RB in the NFL. Edwards? Really we’re going to punters as draft success’. Shell is possibly his only “good” pick to date. To get a starter late in the draft like that. Lozo and Smith might not even be on the team. And Simon never plays. I’m not sure what you’re watching.

You have a good imagine if you think other teams hit draft picks 1-3 with any consistency.  We have gone back and forth on this draft stuff before and last time I posted some indisputable facts on hit rates you disappeared from the convo - which blew any cred you had with me frankly.  No team hits 1-3rd rounds with a high rate - its that fact.

My point on the non 1st rounders is that, as the post I was replying to stated, are not terrible.  I did not say he found All Pros each year but he found solid contributors and some starters. 

Even you can't deny Marcus Maye.

Jenkins is a starting OLB.  He is not a star but he is solid and shown improvement each year.

Stewart / Hansen - if you follow football you understand WR (unless elite) take time to develop.  Specifically there is a big jump from year 2 to year 3. So yes they have shown development through their first year and we will see if they continue to develop or not.  They are note terrible picks

Same for Shell, Edwards, McGuire and Simone (not last year since Bowles did not put him on the field for some bizarre reason) - contributors and not terrible picks

I am not sure if you read or comprehend things correctly or not but again remember what I was replying to bud ... the previous post made a blanket statement that all non 1st round Macc picks have been terrible.  Clearly he has had non-terrible non 1st picks the past three drafts. 

10 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

How come Stewart and Hanson can' t make the playing field, and Maye was a early second round pick,  I SAID HIS LATER ROUND PICKS SUCK. And McGuire has shown next to NOTHING.

No you said "once he gets past the 1st round his picks are terrible" - it is right there for all to see.  You did not say later rounds until the post above.

Stewart and Hanson are young.  It typically takes a non elite WR typically 2 full years in the NFL and then a 3rd year jump happens if they are starter level. 

Either way, it is clear his non 1st round picks are not all terrible.  And anyway you slice it - Maye is a non first round pick and looks to be a high end starter. 

Archived