2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

Question for all you arm chair GM's

What do we do in the offseason make a huge move to get Kirk Cousins ?

Or try to trade up to get a QB?

Or sit tight at #6 in the draft hoping one of the QB's in the draft drops to us a 6 which is a real possibility.

Time to be honest none of us really know  which one of the QB's in the draft who is going to be the next star QB in the NFL

I am leaning more and more of sitting tight with the #6 pick, the only problem with sitting tight is that I am afraid teams will try to jump us to get the Browns second pick in the first round or the Colts early first round pick, and that is a real possibility also. I know my idea is a dangerous idea, knowing how desperate we are for a QB.

Lets see if any body can give me a honest answer, without a lot of double talk.

57 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Or sit tight at #6 in the draft hoping one of the QB's in the draft drops to us a 6 which is a real possibility.

Time to be honest none of us really know  which one of the QB's in the draft who is going to be the next star QB in the NFL

I am leaning more and more of sitting tight with the #6 pick, the only problem with sitting tight is that I am afraid teams will try to jump us to get the Browns second pick in the first round or the Colts early first round pick, and that is a real possibility also. I know my idea is a dangerous idea, knowing how desperate we are for a QB.

I've been big on trading up and just getting our guy.  Rosen to me is the best of the bunch. But Mayfield and Darnold are better fits for our offense. I think there's a high chance one of Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold make it to six especially because Allen is likely going Top 5 after his performance. 

I no longer think it's necessary to trade up to one, but I still think we should strongly consider getting up to number 3. Teams will jump us. 

It really depends on how the draft unfolds. If the Browns go Allen and the Giants don't draft a QB, then stay put. But if the Browns go Darnold and Giants go Rosen, I would want the Jets to go up and get Mayfield. 

It would also depend on the price tag. For moving up 3 spots, my limit would be the number 6, our second and a 2019 2nd round. Anything more, stay put. 

56 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Personally, I'm on the Cousins train. If we don't get him, I'm all in on baker but Rosen works too. Trade up to 3 and get your guy IF QB's go 1 & 2. 

8 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Lauletta and Davenport made their money today. Davenport has been mocked in the top 10 recently.  If he lights up the combine, he could be in play for us at 6. 

Wonder if we met with Lauletta. He’d fit a WCO perfectly. Could be a Round 2 target for us, he’s getting Jimmy G. comparisons. 

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

It’s very simple for me. Go into the draft with a starting qb. If that’s Cousins great, if not then get a Bradford, Bridgewater, Tyrod, etc that has upside but obviously probably not the long term franchise qb. 

That way we give ourselves a better state to negotiate from in trades and also teams will be less likely to jump us in the draft. By going into the draft with McCown, Petty and Hack or even without singing McCown and just the two young QBs we are setting ourselves up wrong. 

I hope we get Cousins first of all but saving that I would personally sign Bradford on a 1yr deal with an option for the 2nd year and draft Mayfield at #6.

I see only 3 qbs going in the top 5 which at the minute looks like Rosen, Allen and Darnold. 

9 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Fact is our team will be way better if we sign Cousins. Not just bc we’d have a PROVEN QB (any an we’d draft us a risk) but even more so... we’d be able to use all of our picks to address other needs. I don’t think any QB is worth trading up for in this class. But the only one I wouldn’t be mad that we did trade up for would be Rosen. I’m just not a fan of trading our 2nd Rounder and more to get an ok qb prospect.

31 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Fact is our team will be way better if we sign Cousins. Not just bc we’d have a PROVEN QB (any an we’d draft us a risk) but even more so... we’d be able to use all of our picks to address other needs. I don’t think any QB is worth trading up for in this class. But the only one I wouldn’t be mad that we did trade up for would be Rosen. I’m just not a fan of trading our 2nd Rounder and more to get an ok qb prospect.

Seems  like that is the popular way to go by most folks on our board, I have no problem with that at all. I do love the idea of keeping our draft picks.

13 hours ago, doumeyer said:

You will get the best answer after March 6. The deadline for tagging. The picture will become bigger after Combine.

Generally, I do anything to get a qb with plenty starting experience in NFL before I oscillate between how many pick and picks to get a qb. I can brave up and give up 6th for Jimmy Garoppolo, Teddy Bridgewater, Kirk Cousins or even AJ McCarron because if you plan to trade up to get a non experienced qb you will lose too many good picks as we have no way to know if Jets can turn around like Eagles did.  Since we may focus on using 6th for qb, it is better to lose one pick for a veteran qb. 

14 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I don't think the answer is black and white, I think it's more of an "okay if not this than this" since Free Agency is before the draft.

We will push for Cousins first, if he goes elsewhere then we look to the draft.

If we look to the draft and decide we like any of the top 4 QBs then we sit at 6

If we like 3 of the top 4 then we trade up to 3.

If we decide we like 1 or 2 of the QBs then we wait until draft day to see how high we can move up depending on what the Browns and Giants do.

The best thing that can happen for us is for QBs like Jackson, Allen, Lauletta, and Rudolph to continue to look good. Either they're going to be good enough for us or they could bump someone like Rosen, Darnold, or Baker to #6. This might be the most interesting QB draft I've ever seen. 

Archived