2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

9 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

No you said "once he gets past the 1st round his picks are terrible" - it is right there for all to see.  You did not say later rounds until the post above.

Stewart and Hanson are young.  It typically takes a non elite WR typically 2 full years in the NFL and then a 3rd year jump happens if they are starter level. 

Either way, it is clear his non 1st round picks are not all terrible.  And anyway you slice it - Maye is a non first round pick and looks to be a high end starter. 

Now that you open a can of worms lets take a look at Mac second round picks

2016  Hackenberg This has been one miss handled mess the Kid can't get one snap on the field

2015  Devin Smith  who couldn't even make the starting position when we were desperate for WR's before he even got hurt.

2017 Maye is a fine player and I like him, but we needed Dalvin Cook who is a great pass receiver coming out of the backfield and had outstanding stats before he got hurt. How we did not take Cook with our second round pick is way beyond me.

THERE IS A REASON THAT WE ARE A 5-11 teams for the last two years. 

10 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

2016  Hackenberg This has been one miss handled mess the Kid can't get one snap on the field

2015  Devin Smith  who couldn't even make the starting position when we were desperate for WR's before he even got hurt.

2017 Maye is a fine player and I like him, but we needed Dalvin Cook who is a great pass receiver coming out of the backfield and had outstanding stats before he got hurt. How we did not take Cook with our second round pick is way beyond me.

Devin Smith got hurt can't really do anything about that, Hackenberg we don't know what they've done development wise but splitting reps your first year with 3 other QBs then changing offenses your very next year isn't exactly helpful, Maye was a great pick and Dalvin Cook got hurt so he wouldn't have even helped us for long last year.

36 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

No you said "once he gets past the 1st round his picks are terrible" - it is right there for all to see.  You did not say later rounds until the post above.

Stewart and Hanson are young.  It typically takes a non elite WR typically 2 full years in the NFL and then a 3rd year jump happens if they are starter level. 

Either way, it is clear his non 1st round picks are not all terrible.  And anyway you slice it - Maye is a non first round pick and looks to be a high end starter. 

Your viewpoints are very optimistic to say the least regarding players we’ve drafted.

4 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Devin Smith got hurt can't really do anything about that, Hackenberg we don't know what they've done development wise but splitting reps your first year with 3 other QBs then changing offenses your very next year isn't exactly helpful, Maye was a great pick and Dalvin Cook got hurt so he wouldn't have even helped us for long last year.

To add to this Devin Smith was drafted to complement Marshall and Decker, not compete for a starting job. Can't really blame Macc for him catching the injury bug when he came into the league.

9 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

To add to this Devin Smith was drafted to complement Marshall and Decker, not compete for a starting job. Can't really blame Macc for him catching the injury bug when he came into the league.

Can’t say it was an awful pick. But fact is he’s not a contributing player on this team and might not even be on the team. So it’s a failed pick.

15 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

You can't say Cook would have gotten hurt if he were a Jet.  They crazy thing is if some how we get our QB in the upcoming offseason all our pass screw up will be long forgotten.

10 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

You can't say Cook would have gotten hurt if he were a Jet.  They crazy thing is if some how we get our QB in the upcoming offseason all our pass screw up will be long forgotten.

And you can't really say Devin Smith was a bad pick or how things with Hack turn out if they handled his development as a 2nd round QB differently.

Circumstances change everything for these guys.

Dalvin Cook was not our savior and not the difference between 5 wins and say 8, 9 or 10.

Macs drafts have been sub par/mediocre. He cut a ton of vets, but the fact that we are where we are after 3 entire seasons (lots of holes, no real players at the premium positions, and of course no QB) is really all you need to look at. He doesn’t get a pass for 2015. The “competitive rebuild” was a failure.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

LOL.  Your arguements make no sense.  Hack being mishandled is more the coaches not the GM, GM can't predict injury and your really going to compare our pick who looks like a future All Pro to a RB who tore his ACL?  C'mon.

Devin Smith - injured - incomplete - up in the air.

Hack - incomplete - can't call bust  or even predict anything - taken as a project and def get the argument of taken to high (which you did not make).  So lets call this an F 

Maye - looks like a potential star.  Let's call this an A (your Cook argument is bad on many levels so I won't even go there)

I would take these odds each time as the draft is a crap shoot and if you think differently your being overly optimistic and living in a reality as to what happens across the league. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Your viewpoints are very optimistic to say the least regarding players we’ve drafted.

I think I am realistic.  And I think Mac has not been a terrible draft picker; with that said I am not saying he has been a world beater drafter either. 

I don't think you can expect to always hit home runs via the draft.  From your posts I get the impression you believe he should.  There are too many things that can happen that are out of control of the GM with the major one being injury. 

Example: Devin Smith in 2015 was ranked easily in the top 10 WR available.  So taking him at 37 is not a bad value pick. First year he is behind two WRs who had great years in Marshall and Decker.  In fact Marshall was a target hog in 2015 for Fitz. Then Smith gets hurt.  Mac can't predict he will tear his ACL twice, can he?  Those injuries retard his growth.  All the other WRs drafted prior to Smith in that class are not world betters either frankly - Cooper, White, Parker, Agholor, Perriman, Dorsett,.  And the two after Smith - Green-Beckham and Funchess are not All Pro as well.  Funchess developed well this year - which again is the 3rd year jump and then trade of Benjamin that helped him. 

So looking back at the WRs drafted over the first 40 picks in the 2015 draft prove my point that the draft is hit or miss - even in the first round. 

It all so proves the point that the players I listed that are starting an/or contributing on the NYJ roters points to a degree of success.  Don't misunderstand me and what I am saying - Macc has n found Tom Brady in round 6 but he has found some starters and depth which you need on an NFL roster.  He has a lot more work to do and this FA and draft class is very important to that end.

Tony Pauline said we showed a lot of interest in Jamarcus King CB from South Carolina. Outside of the top few guys haven't really looked into the CB class as a whole, definitely gonna check him out see why we liked him so much.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Tony Pauline said we showed a lot of interest in Jamarcus King CB from South Carolina. Outside of the top few guys haven't really looked into the CB class as a whole, definitely gonna check him out see why we liked him so much.

We also interviewed a lot of guys. One was Akrum Wadley who I'm not a big fan of. 

Archived