2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

10 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Not sure though because maybe ARI or BUF is interested and forces our hand.  Teams have come up from way down the draft ATL for Julio, PHI was pretty far back when they went for Wentz, BUF for Watkins.  If ARI show interest they are getting good value back, all it takes is a second team to drive the price up.

I doubt we are getting a bargain here, expect to pay fair value which is probably close to what you are suggesting.

We'll see what happens.  They could also sit tight and watch a guy like Josh Allen fall.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

We'll see what happens.  They could also sit tight and watch a guy like Josh Allen fall.

History just tells us that when good QB's are on the board, and by all accounts most people like these QB's, then you are going to have to pay to go up and get them if you are not in position already.  I hope you're right though.

I'll leave it at this come April 27th I want to be discussing our new franchise QB Rosen or Mayfield, no mater how/where we landed them.  

40 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

History just tells us that when good QB's are on the board, and by all accounts most people like these QB's, then you are going to have to pay to go up and get them if you are not in position already.  I hope you're right though.

I'll leave it at this come April 27th I want to be discussing our new franchise QB Rosen or Mayfield, no mater how/where we landed them.  

I'm on board with this line of thinking. If we don't get Cousins, I would like us solidify the defense and OL in FA and land Rosen or Mayfield in the draft even if it means trading up and giving up a 2nd round pick and our 1st RD 2019. Once we have a good young QB, time is on our side.

8 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I don’t know about you guys but Josh Allen is not even on my board in the first round IMO. Not being able to complete 60% of your passes in college is like a cardinal sin to me. Hard, hard pass

I would lose my mind if we draft him in the first round. I would be upset if we draft him in the second round. I would be ok if we draft him the 3rd round. 

19 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I would lose my mind if we draft him in the first round. I would be upset if we draft him in the second round. I would be ok if we draft him the 3rd round. 

He needs to go somewhere where he can sit for a year or two which can’t really happen here. If he lights it up in the bowl some team will nab him early 

Looks like most of us are on the same page, with the last 9 or 20 posts on this subject. The idea of moving in the draft is great if we don't have to give away the store to do it. But that is a awful big IF. When the Jets traded up to get Mark Sanchez we jumped up 12 spots in the draft to get him. We went from seventeen to the fifth overall pick. We gave Cleveland our #1 pick and our second round pick, which was the 52 overall pick . What it would cost to move up 2,3,4, spots in the draft this year, I have no idea. and I am not even try to guess, that is up to Macc.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Looks like most of us are on the same page, with the last 9 or 20 posts on this subject. The idea of moving in the draft is great if we don't have to give away the store to do it. But that is a awful big IF. When the Jets traded up to get Mark Sanchez we jumped up 12 spots in the draft to get him. We went from seventeen to the fifth overall pick. We gave Cleveland our #1 pick and our second round pick, which was the 52 overall pick . What it would cost to move up 2,3,4, spots in the draft this year, I have no idea. and I am not even try to guess, that is up to Macc.

The Sanchez trade was for a 17 (950) and 52nd (380) plus 3 players. It definitely was a great deal. Those players would have had to be valued as mid round picks. It is obvious that nobody else wanted Sanchez. Also the players had played with Mangini when he was our coach so maybe he just wanted players he knew.

The 3rd pick would cost 2200 points.. In theory our 6 (1600), 38 (520) and 4th rounder (somewhere in the 80s) should get it done. However if other teams get involved the cost could escalate. 

The 1st pick is valued at 3000 points. So it would at least cost this year and next year’s first, our 2nd and 3rd (240points) I believe future picks are valued at the 32nd pick of the round so next year’s first is worth only 590 points. That equals 2950 so it might also require a 5th or next year’s 4th.  Again if there are any other teams wanting the first the cost could go up.

3 hours ago, Rich51 said:

The Sanchez trade was for a 17 (950) and 52nd (380) plus 3 players. It definitely was a great deal. Those players would have had to be valued as mid round picks. It is obvious that nobody else wanted Sanchez. Also the players had played with Mangini when he was our coach so maybe he just wanted players he knew.

The 3rd pick would cost 2200 points.. In theory our 6 (1600), 38 (520) and 4th rounder (somewhere in the 80s) should get it done. However if other teams get involved the cost could escalate. 

The 1st pick is valued at 3000 points. So it would at least cost this year and next year’s first, our 2nd and 3rd (240points) I believe future picks are valued at the 32nd pick of the round so next year’s first is worth only 590 points. That equals 2950 so it might also require a 5th or next year’s 4th.  Again if there are any other teams wanting the first the cost could go up.

Points system means nothing when trading up for a QB. Have to overpay.

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

We're at 6 so they move up won't cost a ton. Def next year's 1st and a couple mid round picks(2nd/4th)

I think this sounds about right. We can use the Rams trade up to number as a proxy for the value of the number 1 pick when trading up for a QB.

I took a stab at it and came up with a similar offer from the Jets who have a higher draft position as pick 6, 38 and our 2019 1st Round Pick and 2019 3rd Round Pick. Since the Browns want less draft picks this year, I think they would prefer our 3rd next year vs our 4th this year.

Assuming we miss out on Cousins, I would do that trade. We still have a draft pick in every round this year. We deplete our draft class next year, but we will still be able to improve the team via FA. As long as Rosen checks out medically, I think he is worth it.

59 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I'll ask again, why are we trading away assets, VALUABLE assets to move up from six to 1 or 2, when the QB we land at six might be better than the ones who go 1 or 2???

Because that’s not really how it works.. “might” be better doesn’t mean anything. 

Theres a reason why Rosen/Darnold are touted the way they are vs Mayfield/Jackson. The latter “might” be better but if you want one of the other two you gotta pay to get them. If Mac truly believes Rosen is a better player than Mayfield then he needs to do what he needs to do to get him. If he thinks Mayfield is the best QB in the draft then maybe he sits pat or maybe he even still needs to trade up in front of Denver. What Mac shouldn’t do is settle for the “leftovers”

It’s all about what the GM sees and this is a GM who saw something in Hackenberg so, I’m not confident in whatever move he makes.

Archived