2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

Drafting a QB just isnt the efficient move based on where we are drafting and our massive amount of cap space. Spend the money, solidify the position for the first time ever and draft BPA at 6. There are a decent amount of good QBs in this draft for sure, but not a single one is a cant miss prospect or one that is worth trading up for. 

Fact is signing Cousins and keeping our picks to build a strong roster is the best way. To trade up for a QB hurts us in the long run, bc we’d have to give up probably a 2nd this year and a 1st next year all for a guy with question marks. There’s no Andrew Luck this draft to say we have a franchise QB for sure in this guy. We just aren’t close to being guaranteed getting Cousins. He completely alters our FA period as well as our draft. I’ve said this before... part of enticing him to come here will be to have a game plan to try him what we are doing with our cap space and what we are targeting in the draft. And I’m sure a better OLine and a good RB are part of what he wants.

It is time the Jets break from tradition of making mediocre moves and make a big splash.   I"ll trade with Cleveland for the #1 pick and pick the best QB in the draft class.  I am tired of the Jets trying to make a average veteran the franchise QB we need.  I'll rather take a chance with Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold as our franchise.  Let the Jets put their money towards building around a real franchise QB.  Upgrade the offensive and defensive lines via free agency.   Get the franchise QB with the first pick and draft BPA with the remaining picks.  Lets have something worth rooting for next year.   

GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Drafting a QB just isnt the efficient move based on where we are drafting and our massive amount of cap space. Spend the money, solidify the position for the first time ever and draft BPA at 6. There are a decent amount of good QBs in this draft for sure, but not a single one is a cant miss prospect or one that is worth trading up for. 

How do you know none of the QB's in this years draft are not a can't miss prospect. The entire history of the NfL, tell you that, later round QB's like Dan Foust third round, Joe Montana third round, Dan Marino was the third QB pick in his draft class Tom Brady late round pick, John Unitas was a ninth round draft pic. And the list goes on. On the other side of the coin I can give you twenty one QB's who were going to be big time stars coming out of college  who failed. You just never know who will rise to be star QB's, This is one stat that hasn't change since the fifties.

4 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

How do you know none of the QB's in this years draft are not a can't miss prospect. The entire history of the NfL, tell you that, later round QB's like Dan Foust third round, Joe Montana third round, Dan Marino was the third QB pick in his draft class Tom Brady late round pick, John Unitas was a ninth round draft pic. And the list goes on. On the other side of the coin I can give you twenty one QB's who were going to be big time stars coming out of college  who failed. You just never know who will rise to be star QB's, This is one stat that hasn't change since the fifties.

Yeah, nobody knows for sure until a qb actually plays on the field.   If Jets drafted Jackson then I had to go to the monk for silent treatment.  No sense to ***** about Jet player like people on Hackenberg.

35 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

He never said no QBs will be good in this draft class. He said there's no cant miss QBs. And he is correct with that.

Rosen: has some attitude issues and gets injured easily.

Allen: very poor season and hasn't played against legit talent consistently.

Darnold: was a turnover machine this season.

Mayfield: has a lot of growing up to do and is small.

Jackson: is a run 1st QB.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He never said no QBs will be good in this draft class. He said there's no cant miss QBs. And he is correct with that.

Rosen: has some attitude issues and gets injured easily.

Allen: very poor season and hasn't played against legit talent consistently.

Darnold: was a turnover machine this season.

Mayfield: has a lot of growing up to do and is small.

Jackson: is a run 1st QB.

These players you listed are kids and at times act like kids,  that will changes after six weeks in training camp. If nobody wants Rosen I will take him, he played on a bad team. There is not question every scout says he has all the tools. The only thing I don't know is if he has ice water in his veins like a Johnny Unitas. I am going to say it again for the third month if the Giants pick him it is my worst nightmare.

Just now, doumeyer said:

These players you listed are kids and at times act like kids,  that will changes after six weeks in training camp. If nobody wants Rosen I will take him, he played on a bad team. There is not question every scout says he has all the tools. The only thing I don't know is if he has ice water in his veins like a Johnny Unitas. I am going to say it again for the third month if the Giants pick him it is my worst nightmare.

I've stated that Rosen is really the only guy I "want." I absolutely think if we don't address QB in FA that we do need to draft one. But I'm not a big fan of just drafting one to draft one. Macc and the scouting department are really going to have to love the guy. For instance if he just doesn't like Mayfield for whatever reason and he likes Rosen, Allen and Darnold but they're gone... I don't see him drafting Mayfield just bc (this is just an example). I'd rather see him trade up for the guy he likes and is sold on. IMO the only guy worth that is Rosen, but Macc and the scouting department might like others.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

If we had to move up to 1, I'm assuming our 1st, two 2nds, and 2018 1st would do it

We'd have to love a guy in the draft to do that. Macc wouldn't give up the asking price for Wentz (who I think was a quite a bit better prospect than any of these QBs this draft).

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We'd have to love a guy in the draft to do that. Macc wouldn't give up the asking price for Wentz (who I think was a quite a bit better prospect than any of these QBs this draft).

Wentz’s stock didn’t really go into overdrive until much later on in the process. No way was he looked at as being the second overall pick this early on.

The truth of the matter is there will never be ‘the perfect qb’ every year these QBs come through and we hear all the negatives etc but they turn into franchise QBs. 

I’d rather swing and miss but try and get that franchise qb than keep up with these washed out vets.

The last three years we’ve had Fitzpatrick and McCown. Both had careers years and yet we were never even close to a super bowl. Didn’t even make the playoffs. Can’t keep this horrendous cycle going on. We need our de facto franchise qb. Either sign Cousins or go get the QB in the draft no matter the cost.

Archived