2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Who do you guys think are gonna blow up the combine this year? Personally I think Barkley, Ward, Michel, Kirk, Vea, Roquon Smith, Edmunds, and Harold Landry are gonna be some of the guys that blow up

Barkley may run in the 4.2/4.3 range. 

I think Edmunds and Vea have amazing combines as well. Ward may break the 40-time record, or so ive heard.

1 hour ago, KodiakThunder said:

Barkley may run in the 4.2/4.3 range. 

I think Edmunds and Vea have amazing combines as well. Ward may break the 40-time record, or so ive heard.

I’m a HUGE Barkley fan and thinknthats beyong unrelated. I think he runs between a 4.3-4.4 (which is good) I think what will impress with Barkley is everything else. His strength, quickness -and hands will be showcased. I can see OO being a great combine guy. Josh Sweat is a frank athlete. I can see him impressing and going up draft boards after being a disappointment pretty much in his FSU career. Christian Kirk has great speed and quickness, very AB like. I keep hearing everyone say that Faulk will impress big time at the combine. Apparently a great personality and is very smart for interviews and grasping systems and he has atm talent.

Part of me doesn't want to restart the Barkley debate, but this stat is just too telling for what i saw on the field, and how it will relate to the NFL game.  On carries where he was contacted AT or BEHIND the line of scrimmage Barkley averaged 0.46 yards per carry..... which is 57th out of 58 of the draft eligible RB's....... that is what i see.  On the flip side Penny averaged 3.32 yards per carry under the same circumstances which is #1 out of the same 58.  People say Penny's numbers are better due to his blocking and level of competition, but getting contacted behind the LOS kind of takes the blocking out of the equation.  He literally averaged 7 times more yards per in the same situations as the guy some want in the top 10 of the draft.  He can bench the rack like a beast, but is unwilling to lower his hat and take what yards he can get.

In the NFL there is less space.  He is gonna get hit at the line more, and bouncing outside is going to be massively harder.  He isn't fooling and beating Luke Kuechly to the edge.

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

Part of me doesn't want to restart the Barkley debate, but this stat is just too telling for what i saw on the field, and how it will relate to the NFL game.  On carries where he was contacted AT or BEHIND the line of scrimmage Barkley averaged 0.46 yards per carry..... which is 57th out of 58 of the draft eligible RB's....... that is what i see.  On the flip side Penny averaged 3.32 yards per carry under the same circumstances which is #1 out of the same 58.  People say Penny's numbers are better due to his blocking and level of competition, but getting contacted behind the LOS kind of takes the blocking out of the equation.  He literally averaged 7 times more yards per in the same situations as the guy some want in the top 10 of the draft.  He can bench the rack like a beast, but is unwilling to lower his hat and take what yards he can get.

In the NFL there is less space.  He is gonna get hit at the line more, and bouncing outside is going to be massively harder.  He isn't fooling and beating Luke Kuechly to the edge.

I really like Barkley but I would only take him if we got Cousins and Nelson and Chubb are off the board. Even then there may be another Edge that could rise. I wouldn't be upset with Barkley but with so many good backs this year we can get a franchise guy at 37 or 49.

56 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

In 10 -12 days our draft board should become more clear. We have so much weighing on QB (mainly Cousins in FA) that it makes the world of difference what we do in the draft.

I only think we’ll have 2 QBs - maybe even 1 - in our top 6 draft board. My guess is Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, and Ward will be in there. 

10 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I only think we’ll have 2 QBs - maybe even 1 - in our top 6 draft board. My guess is Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, and Ward will be in there. 

Love this 1st 3. Not a Ward fan really. I think with so many really good options in FA at CB that should be where we fill our CB needs personally. Especially when I see a pretty deep Cb draft class

I have changed my tune regarding the sixth pick. I am actually happy that Maccagnan is a BPA type, because I think Quenton Nelson would be an incredible pick for us. What is a better bet? We have Barkley in the backfield with our current O line (plus a center to be named later), OR we have Nelson leading the O line from the LG position and we have someone like Dion Lewis or Guice or Michel or even McGuire as the lead back? For me, there are too many people who have already put Nelson in Canton to ignore. If he is truly a special, special player, then I think we should draft him regardless of his position. I know the argument against this: if the next Ray Guy was in this draft you wouldn't take him sixth overall. I get that. However, I think improving the O line does so many things that the coaching staff want to do with this team that it is very hard to ignore. 

Now, in saying all this, maybe Nelson goes to Cleveland, NY Giants or Indy before we even get a chance at him. But in terms of who I want this team to draft, my new No. 1 is Nelson. If he's gone, I would LOVE for Barkley to be there. If not, then I think we need to look at the QB's. But ideally, we draft a QB in Round 2, land one of Nelson or Barkley in Round 1, sign a cheap FA QB or two and continue to fill out the roster with the missing pieces (Edge rusher, LCB, C et al) via both the rest of the draft and free agency.

But for me it starts at pick #6.

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

PFF came out with their top 100 prospects. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pff-draft-board-top-100-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft#

A couple of suprises:

1) Chubb ranked at #21

2) Key ranked at #12

3) 3 QB's in the top 10

4) 6 QB's in the top 35

5) Michael Gallup is their top WR

MO HURST IS THEIR #3 PROSPECT HAAAAAAAAAAAAA IM DEAD B

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, Dr.O said:

Who do you guys think are gonna blow up the combine this year? Personally I think Barkley, Ward, Michel, Kirk, Vea, Roquon Smith, Edmunds, and Harold Landry are gonna be some of the guys that blow up

I agree with you on Barkley he is unbelievable, the other players I don't know much about them. But you could be right.

Archived