With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

9 minutes ago, brncos4life said:

Chubb nelson barkley or trade down. not sure price but I'd moveto 2 to grab barkley. great on and off field

We were on the same page until the dreaded move to 2 to take Barkley. You're out of your mind. It's one of the most physical position and we can get a guy round 2 who coule be 80% of Barkley.  I'd rather have nelson. 

40 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Peter King has some absolutely great stuff in his MMQB today about the top six picks of the draft. 

Check it out! 

24 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Its hard to stomach that elway hasn't given up on Paxton and I don't think it's a smoke screen.

I wouldn't get too fussed about King's article - the only thing King really committed to was we were unlikely to trade up.

King said if we don't take a QB, it means Elway's committed to Keenum & giving Paxton one more chance - but if we take a QB, then Paxton's on very thin ice.  It's a pretty self-evident stance, he's covering the bases with QB.   

It's not like King is more plugged in than Klis/Renck.   It's pretty standard stuff, other than the stance we aren't likely to move up.

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I wouldn't get too fussed about King's article - the only thing King really committed to was we were unlikely to trade up.

King said if we don't take a QB, it means Elway's committed to Keenum & giving Paxton one more chance - but if we take a QB, then Paxton's on very thin ice.  It's a pretty self-evident stance, he's covering the bases with QB.   

It's not like King is more plugged in than Klis/Renck.   It's pretty standard stuff, other than the stance we aren't likely to move up.

He also said he couldn't find a spot for Rosen in the first 6 picks. I thought it was a great article.

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

If we get nelson any run up the middle should work. And that will make play action 10 times more effective.

There are 4 other players that have to be relied upon to do their jobs.  If they can’t, not saying Nelson won’t help, but it’s not like the addition of Nelson all of a sudden makes Denver unstoppable running the football.

Just watch highlights of Nelson at ND and ND had and has had some of the best OLs in college football since he’s been there.  You’ll see plenty (probably half) of those highlights where he dominated the defender and the run play goes for minimal yardage.  There’s one play where Nelson literally pushed his man 10 yards downfield and the runner was tackled for a 2 yard gain. 

47 minutes ago, germ-x said:

There are 4 other players that have to be relied upon to do their jobs.  If they can’t, not saying Nelson won’t help, but it’s not like the addition of Nelson all of a sudden makes Denver unstoppable running the football.

Just watch highlights of Nelson at ND and ND had and has had some of the best OLs in college football since he’s been there.  You’ll see plenty (probably half) of those highlights where he dominated the defender and the run play goes for minimal yardage.  There’s one play where Nelson literally pushed his man 10 yards downfield and the runner was tackled for a 2 yard gain. 

I'm sure he was including our given roster. An interior of Nelson, Paradis/McGovern and Leary would be pretty stout. Both Bolles and Veldheer are quite good at angle and seal blocks. Looks to me like the premise is solid. We should be pretty good between the tackles in the running game.

So - for me - I would be thrilled  with any of the 4 QB’s, Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson at 5.  Really excited by any of the. . I have my preferences at QB, but I think they are all worthy of the risk as potential franchise QB, and I Love the 3 positional Players - any one of the 3 will have a huge impact on this team.  The only thing that would disappoint me is a trade down (unless we get an unbelievable haul, which is highly unlikely).  

So, I’m expecting a trade down. ☹️  All sorts of signs starting to come out signaling strong interest in trading down by the Broncos.  I get the allure of more picks in general, and there is a lot of talent in this draft at positions of need.  But this is a unique situation.  A chance for a franchise QB or likely HOF’er.  You just don’t trade those away. 

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I'm sure he was including our given roster. An interior of Nelson, Paradis/McGovern and Leary would be pretty stout. Both Bolles and Veldheer are quite good at angle and seal blocks. Looks to me like the premise is solid. We should be pretty good between the tackles in the running game.

Thats what I mean I mean even  a draw out of the gun will be effective. It will be like playing small ball with chunk plays. Our Top will improve sooo much.

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

AK, I was reading that Nelson has played strictly at left guard and that it is less valuable than RG? I think 8/10 of the highest paid guards in the NFL are RG's bc it's valued higher. Why is that and does it concern you about Nelson?  At least value wise 

Seems like most mock drafts now have a clear top 5:

3 QBs Darnold, Allen and Mayfield

Chubb 

Barkley

The only constants seem to be that Baker Mayfield is going to the Jets at 3 and Darnold won’t get past the Giants at 2.

Allen could go 1st (Browns deciding between him and Darnold), 2nd (only if the Giants trade back) or fall to Denver at 5. 

For my money I think the pick is going to be one of Allen, Chubb or Barkley or a trade down.

Archived