The Jon Gruden Thread, Man

BackinBlack

On 10/29/2019 at 12:24 AM, BayRaider said:

EDIT: Kind of funny how BP and I were quite upset after the KC/MINN games. Amazing how winning and being competitive changes things. 

Gruden's offense looks vanilla, outdated and ineffective those 2 weeks. Second half of the KC was a master class in suck. He's since opened up and really found his stride. Largely behind his star RB. That TD play to TW this past week was a thing of beauty. He's really been drawing them up well. Hats off to him. 

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Gruden's offense looks vanilla, outdated and ineffective those 2 weeks. Second half of the KC was a master class in suck. He's since opened up and really found his stride. Largely behind his star RB. That TD play to TW this past week was a thing of beauty. He's really been drawing them up well. Hats off to him. 

I think Carr checked into that play actually so props to both, Gruden obviously drew up that play but Carr identified the defenses call and audibled. 

I think Carr is showing that he’s got control of the offense which is why it seems better and why Gruden has opened up the offense. 

Year two with Gruden and I’m confident that he can coach in today’s NFL. Last couple weeks he has shown some creativity on offense still like to see more. He’s shown that he can put out a good offense. 

The TD play to Tyrell was a a route that the Chiefs ran on the Raiders in week 2. Nice to see Gruden add it to his offense cause against man it’s a big play waiting to happen if the QB can get time.

What I’m wanting to see from Gruden now is if he will make the necessary moves at DC in the offseason. 

10 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Year two with Gruden and I’m confident that he can coach in today’s NFL. Last couple weeks he has shown some creativity on offense still like to see more. He’s shown that he can put out a good offense. 

The TD play to Tyrell was a a route that the Chiefs ran on the Raiders in week 2. Nice to see Gruden add it to his offense cause against man it’s a big play waiting to happen if the QB can get time.

What I’m wanting to see from Gruden now is if he will make the necessary moves at DC in the offseason. 

I’d give PG another year, he hasn’t had the talent to fully get a gauge of who he is as a DC. We’ve been slow to add the talent necessary to fit his scheme. We’re in prime position to get him some talent on that side of the ball to fit his needs. I’d allow the guys to continue to grow within the system rather than start all over. 

• Like 1

PG doesn’t have the guys needed, but I seen some play calling from him that’s head scratching. Felt like every time the Raiders got the Texans in 2 nd a long or 3rd and long he will go zone and bam Hopkins easy catch on Whitehead to make it 3rd and short or a first down. I wouldn’t be mad if they got a new DC but at some point somebody gonna have to take the fall for the defense. 

29 minutes ago, G said:

Offense has been Gruden’s focus with Defense getting a bit here and there. I’d get Clowney in FA so if we did switch DC after next year we’d have a guy who can play in any system. 

Is Clowney even doing anything for Seattle? I feel like he's more name than game right now. He will command a ton of money as well.

Give me Ngakoue if the Jags don't tag him as the big spend. Then budget guys like Marcus Golden (looking healthy now for the Giants). And a 1 year deal to Beasley to see if he can regain form.

Draft well. Develop. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

PG doesn’t have the guys needed, but I seen some play calling from him that’s head scratching. Felt like every time the Raiders got the Texans in 2 nd a long or 3rd and long he will go zone and bam Hopkins easy catch on Whitehead to make it 3rd and short or a first down. I wouldn’t be mad if they got a new DC but at some point somebody gonna have to take the fall for the defense. 

It's the LBs dude... The scheme works fine if the LBs don't suck. Whitehead (among my least favorite Raiders) is a loudmouth trying to be a leader. His game is mediocre and he can't cover. Marrow is average to slightly below. 

They need to take that position serious finally. I think the pass rushers would be more effective if QBs were not so easily able to go underneath to TEs/RBs. You can just spread the LBs out and take quick easy yards on Oakland. They are so so bad.

Makeover that entire unit in 2020 finally.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, G said:

Offense has been Gruden’s focus with Defense getting a bit here and there.

His focus for sure is on the O but the amount of resources we have sunk in to the D is substantial. 6 out of the 9 picks were D, with 4 out of the first 5 being D. Not to mention big spending on Joyner, Burfict, Lawson, Hankins, Mauro, Riley, Marshall, etc. 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It's the LBs dude...

Can't believe we have neglected it for so long. Danny Trevethan would be a nice stop-gap for a few years. Shaq Barrett? Fowler? Nigel Bradham? Mercilus? Sean Lee would be great but he's made of glass. Reggie Ragland?

There's some decent names but most of those guys will be re-signed. Might have to hit the draft for some finally/hopefully. 

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

His focus for sure is on the O but the amount of resources we have sunk in to the D is substantial. 6 out of the 9 picks were D, with 4 out of the first 5 being D. Not to mention big spending on Joyner, Burfict, Lawson, Hankins, Mauro, Riley, Marshall, etc. 

That’s the thing, I’d like to see guys like Cle, Abram,Mullen and Crosby grow within a system and not switch up every other year, like we always do. Hankins has been a find, but our big signing was Joyner and he’s been a bust.

id hit the defense really hard this offseason. Offense imo really only needs a WR and a back up RB.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Can't believe we have neglected it for so long. Danny Trevethan would be a nice stop-gap for a few years. Shaq Barrett? Fowler? Nigel Bradham? Mercilus? Sean Lee would be great but he's made of glass. Reggie Ragland?

There's some decent names but most of those guys will be re-signed. Might have to hit the draft for some finally/hopefully. 

Well, we neglected RB for a while too, minus DMC. Hopefully we see how much talent can help a position and draft a LB before the 5th round.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Isiah Simmons can cover, shed and fill gaps. He's going to be a stud and I can see myself falling in love and being disappointed. 

Kenneth Murray looks great at OU. Troy Dye, Errol Thompson are good prospects. Alabama always has someone who sparks your interest. 

There will be some decent prospects.

5 minutes ago, Geezy said:

That’s the thing, I’d like to see guys like Cle, Abram,Mullen and Crosby grow within a system and not switch up every other year, like we always do. Hankins has been a find, but our big signing was Joyner and he’s been a bust.

id hit the defense really hard this offseason. Offense imo really only needs a WR and a back up RB.

Joyner's best year was as FS... maybe get him back there? He's been a FA bust. Brought in to sure up the nickel corner spot and gets exposed each week.

• Like 1