2018 draft talk

Danand

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

Makes sense. Remember all those times during the season average play from our right tackle was a key contributor to our losses? Also it's clearly a position you need to burn a 1st round pick on to ensure quality play. 

I almost missed your sarcasm there and was about to be seriously confused.?

43 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Passing on Evans is fine

Maybe another team would have him higher on their board, favoring his versatility as a pass rusher. We only have room for elite pass rushing prospects though, and as a pure off ball LB he's gotta be 4th easy behind Tremaine, Roquan, and Leighton. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Makes sense. Remember all those times during the season average play from our right tackle was a key contributor to our losses? Also it's clearly a position you need to burn a 1st round pick on to ensure quality play. 

My sarcasm meter is going off, and I hope I'm right here.

45 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

So random question. With speculation that Gronkowski might be had in a trade and with how big a need we have at the position. Would anyone be looking to deal for him? If so, what pick?

Even though he's a beastly TE, given his injury and retirement talk, and on top of his one year rental status, no more than a 3rd.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

1. Lamar Jackson is the best QB prospect in this draft class.

lol. yeah whatever man, we'll see in a few years i guess.

and i could absolutely see the Texans moving up in 1st round for a top DB. their O is set, could improve at OLine i guess, but the secondary is their only big weakness to me.

if Watson can repeat his rookie year and stay healthy they'll be going to the POs easily, even with Jags and Titans in their division.

The Saints make sense for Gronkowski. Another all time great at QB, out of the AFC, and a later 1st round pick. I don't see him getting moved for anything lower than maybe an early 2nd. He's still far and away the most dominating player in the league across all positions imo. Kamara, Thomas, and Gronk oof.

5 hours ago, berlin calling said:

lol. yeah whatever man, we'll see in a few years i guess.

and i could absolutely see the Texans moving up in 1st round for a top DB. their O is set, could improve at OLine i guess, but the secondary is their only big weakness to me.

if Watson can repeat his rookie year and stay healthy they'll be going to the POs easily, even with Jags and Titans in their division.

So that it’s all on record, who is your top QB in this class? Since the idea of Jackson having All Pro potential is so laughable?

I guess in the meantime, we’ll also see just about how realistic it will be for Houston to jump up into the first round with three third round picks.

Even if calling Lamar Jackson the best QB in this class is a bold statement, I think the three thirds for our first is ever bolder still.

sorry didn't midn to hurt your feelings.

well then: Texanstrading w/ the Ravens as i described earlier is bold indeed, no question.
them moving up in the first is not imo.

calling Lamar Jackson the best QB prospect in this years draft is absolutely laughable. i don't consider myself to have much knowledge or interest in scouting.
however people who work as professionals in the NFL or media have. do any of them consider him the best QB prospect this year? nope. should tell you what i was getting at.

but we'll see very soon if he is picked #1 as he should be acc. to yourself.

me? i have no idea who is going to be the best QB of this class but i'd take Mayfield #1. he is a proven winner and a leader of men if you can trust the reports about his teammates raving about him in interviews. thats what i would be looking at when picking my QBOTF. needs to be able to lead my team. i don't mind the co*ky attitude one bit, only further prove of his drive imo. i 'll let others discuss metrics like velocity and release time and what not.

well just over 24 hours to go until draft day.. Im sticking to my guns and saying DJ Moore or Bust at 16. With that said, after looking at all the possibilities of talent that could fall to us, I will be happy with any player who can/will score TDs, Get Ints, or sack QBs this coming year. That is all I ask is for the ravens to draft a playmaker 

18 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

There are draft rumors going around that teams are heavily valuing their mid round picks and trade value isn’t going to be as accurate as in some years. Team might be willing to take less in deals if it means they can secure rounds 2-4 picks.

I wonder how that could affect the 1st round trades. As we get closer to the draft, the more I’m getting the feeling that the Ravens are going to trade up for a player.

I think we pursued WRs as heavily as we did even after signing Crabtree because:

1. We didn’t want to be left without the proper resources to address the WR position in the event that we can’t resupply our day two draft ammunition afterwards (such as I attempted to do with my Patriots trade).

2. The front office now has an excuse to give to even the most logical/well informed Ravens fans, as to why they would trade up for a defensive player, when the offense is in such dire straits.

In the presser, the biggest takeaway that we all got was the “you may be surprised with who we pick at 16” part and not the “if we pick at 16” part, which might prove to be just as important a takeaway.

Consider that we attempted to trade up for both Marshon Lattimore in 2017 and Jalen Ramsey in 2016. Both of those players went on to become All Pro corners and leaders of their respective secondaries.

So the Ravens have a track record of making strong attempts to go up and get elite/all pro talent that falls, regardless of how small the perceived need. We did it two years in a row. I think law of averages dictates that eventually one of those trades will connect.

I agree with this. It's been the case for years that there is no value in trading back in the first, unless a team is moving up for a QB. No one wants to give up picks for a non-QB anymore. Trading up is the smarter play IMO, with it looking like 16 is again a dead zone in terms of great matches for us. If we stay it will probably be similar to 2015 or 2017 where the guys we hope we fall go all go and we are forced to stay and take a prospect who isn't really that different than the next few guys, or else we take well under chart value. The former approach ended up working 1 out of 2 times.

I have Mayfield as the 6th best QB prospect. I feel like we've gotten to the point where everone has been TOO dismissive of how big a ****** he is. It's visible in every interview I've seen of him.

There was a great tweet going around basically asking what if it was Lamar Jackson who was throwing flags around, mocking opponents, grabbing his crotch, and videotaped being drunk and tackled by police.

As Ozzie would say, the best predictor of the future is the past. 

Archived