Gruden expected to want OC Morton in Oakland

jetskid007

16 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Rumor is that JG has contacted different coaches. The opportunity would be better for him. TB and the GM are on the hot seat, so Mort's job is on a short leash. Go to the Raiders, he'll get at least another 2 years. He would be getting Derek Carr to work with. If it's up to him, he'll probably go unless we reject it or show him a really good offseason game plan. 

I would not call a HC and GM who just received  two year extensions each with a year remaining on each deal "on the hot seat". 

3 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

I would not call a HC and GM who just received  two year extensions each with a year remaining on each deal "on the hot seat". 

Remember when Fisher signed a nice extension before he was fired? I think it was the same offseason or after a year if I remember. 2 years is nothing. If things fall apart, they're gone. If they hit 8-9 wins and just miss the playoffs, they have another year to prove themselves. If they win, that 2nd year will be spent working on an extension. I'm willing to bet on this. 

13 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

They're 100% on the hot seat.  They got extensions so they wouldn't go into the off-season and try to build an SB contender in one year and make dumb signings.  If they produce another 5-11 team with all this cap and draft picks, they'll be gone.

6 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Remember when Fisher signed a nice extension before he was fired? I think it was the same offseason or after a year if I remember. 2 years is nothing. If things fall apart, they're gone. If they hit 8-9 wins and just miss the playoffs, they have another year to prove themselves. If they win, that 2nd year will be spent working on an extension. I'm willing to bet on this. 

Disagree. Two totally different situations.  Fisher lost his locker room and was given an extension despite this. Bowles has regained his after Mac got rid of locker room trouble makers. Just don't agree at all saying Bowles and Mac are on the hot seat.  They are going to be given at least 2 years to get this thing in the right direction.

6 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

They're 100% on the hot seat.  They got extensions so they wouldn't go into the off-season and try to build an SB contender in one year and make dumb signings.  If they produce another 5-11 team with all this cap and draft picks, they'll be gone.

Not a 2 year extension - if it was a 1 year I might agree.  They will have two years to upgrade talent on this roster and namely get a franchise QB. 

Under your logic if we land Rosen or Darnold and go 5-11 next year as we withstand a rookie QB growing pains, you would fire both? 

Failed logic and understanding of what it takes to build a franchise.  This will take time and that is why Johnson & Johnson gave them 2 year extensions not 1 year... so they would not be perceived to be on the hot seat and make short term/sighted decisions.

EDIT: As I re-read your post I am confused.  On one hand you are saying they were given the extension to not feel the pressure to try and build a SB contender in one year.  But on the other you say if they go 5-11 again (despite this year being a gross over achievement in everyone's eyes) they are fired.  Seem highly contradictory to me.

Just now, JetsFan15 said:

Disagree. Two totally different situations.  Fisher lost his locker room and was given an extension despite this. Bowles has regained his after Mac got rid of locker room trouble makers. Just don't agree at all you saying Bowles and Mac are on the hot seat.  They are going to be given at least 2 years to get this thing in the right direction.

If Macc doesn't come away with a good QB and we win 5 games again, you think they will be back? 

GM's & Coaches get fired while under contracts. If things end badly, that's it. Especially if there are others on the market that can do better. They have to show improvement if they want that second year. In a losing situation, Macc can only protect himself is if the QB he picks looks good enough to win but Bowles blows it. 

If Morton actually joins with the Raiders then I hope Jets get Ben McAdoo.  McAdoo and Cousins could work together.

Norv Turner could be an ideal choice if Jets don't go with Cousins.

Alex Van Pelt or James Urban could be also an ideal alternative WCO coordinator for cheaper if Bowles wants to risk his job again.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

If Morton actually joins with the Raiders then I hope Jets get Ben McAdoo.  McAdoo and Cousins could work together.

Norv Turner could be an ideal choice if Jets don't go with Cousins.

Alex Van Pelt or James Urban could be also an ideal alternative WCO coordinator for cheaper if Bowles wants to risk his job again.

lol Just thinking about how many times has Turner's name come up over the years. Seem like we bring him up every offseason. 

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If Macc doesn't come away with a good QB and we win 5 games again, you think they will be back? 

GM's & Coaches get fired while under contracts. If things end badly, that's it. Especially if there are others on the market that can do better. They have to show improvement if they want that second year. In a losing situation, Macc can only protect himself is if the QB he picks looks good enough to win but Bowles blows it. 

Both are committed for 3 more years just in case if they get a right qb and win a bunch of games.  Considering his coaching skill, we have doubts. We will see.

5 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Not a 2 year extension - if it was a 1 year I might agree.  They will have two years to upgrade talent on this roster and namely get a franchise QB. 

Under your logic if we land Rosen or Darnold and go 5-11 next year as we withstand a rookie QB growing pains, you would fire both? 

Failed logic and understanding of what it takes to build a franchise.  This will take time and that is why Johnson & Johnson gave them 2 year extensions not 1 year... so they would not be perceived to be on the hot seat and make short term/sighted decisions.

EDIT: As I re-read your post I am confused.  On one hand you are saying they were given the extension to not feel the pressure to try and build a SB contender in one year.  But on the other you say if they go 5-11 again (despite this year being a gross over achievement in everyone's eyes) they are fired.  Seem highly contradictory to me.

A 1 year extension is a slap in the face.  There's zero point to it.  And nothing to do with building an SB contender.  It has to do with progress.  If we're terrible three straight years in a row, that's not progress.  And if we have Rosen or Darnold next year and only go 5-11, probably yeah.  If you're going 5-11, unless it's purely on the QB, you should be fired 4 years in.  The "this will take time" nonsense is BS 4 years in.  That should've been our mentality two years ago.  

5 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Exactly.  The team was trending in the right direction, but Goff and Gurley were terrible last year.  They needed a change.  If Rosen/Darnold come in and we still go 5-11 or worse, it's time to move on. 

Getting 5 wins this year was good given the roster. But I think we need to win atleast 8 next year for these guys jobs to be safe. With 4 valuable picks and 100mill in cap space. They should be able to get 3 more wins with those assets.

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

This type of thinking is why most franchises are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity or long droughts.  If you think you have the right GM and HC then you stick with them as you go through a rebuild and find the right players from a talent and scheme perceptive.  IMO a franchise like the Steelers have it right.  Put your faith in the character of the folks you hire and move forward.  Each time you fire a HC and/or GM it is like being an expansion franchise starting fresh.

I think Mac is the right guy.  You ride him out and trust in his process and talent folks.  Bowles is winning me over - guys want to play hard for him and from what I have heard he is a leader. 

So I think they will get the full two years to be on the upward trend at the very least.  The obvious need is a franchise QB - it has been the need since I watched my first Jets game and Richard Todd was the QB.  We need to find that guy.  There are at least 5 guys that MIGHT fit that bill this year in the draft but there are no guarantees. 

Bottom line - Mac needs to continue to build the talent on this roster as he did last off season.  Bowles need to continue to motivate the team and get the best out of them while improving time management skills. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Getting 5 wins this year was good given the roster. But I think we need to win atleast 8 next year for these guys jobs to be safe. With 4 valuable picks and 100mill in cap space. They should be able to get 3 more wins with those assets.

Exactly

Archived