Gruden expected to want OC Morton in Oakland

jetskid007

Just now, Bobby816 said:

It’s not the wrong approach if you’re signing young players (which he didn’t). There’s a good amount of young FA talent this offseason, so he absolutely can rebuild and fix all at once. 

That I agree with 100% (see my post directly above).  I should've clarified rebuilding it in one year with over the hill guys.  If he goes out and signs Cousins, Trumaine Johnson, Allen Robinson, etc. then hell yeah, I'll get excited.  We should be good for years.

51 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

We were 5-11 this year with a depleted roster.  Mac will have 100+ mil to make an impact this year.  He should be able to learn from his mistakes of signing over the hill players, add quality talent in FA, find us a QB, and help Bowles get us more than 5 wins next year.  If we can't win more than 5 games next year after all of that, it's seriously alarming is all.  

Your not accounting for a rookie QB, which I think we will have.  That is the X factor.  The key is increasing the talent level and that does not 100% mean a better record all the time as there are key positions that make require growing pains. 

Mark my words - both will be here in 2019 - thus not on hot seats.

Just now, JetsFan15 said:

Your not accounting for a rookie QB, which I think we will have.  That is the X factor.  The key is increasing the talent level and that does not 100% mean a better record all the time as there are key positions that make require growing pains. 

Mark my words - both will be here in 2019 - thus not on hot seats.

It's impossible for him not to increase talent level.  If they really suck it up next year, gut says they'll be shown the door, but we'll see.

50 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

If they can’t get to 8 wins with 100mill in cap space and and 4 quality picks they need to get fired. Both of them, but more so Macc. And I’m not a BowlMes fan.

This. These guys don't have much room for error. First year we exceeded expectations. Anything less than competing for a playoff spot is at minimum getting one of the two fired. Regardless of a rookie qb or not. 

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Mehta reporting (take it as you will) that the Jets will let him leave if he wants. Even if lateral.

Is that right, Morton signed with Jets for one season.  If so, his contract expires at end of this month. Jets can renew his contract if he wants to stay with Jets.

We have an insane schedule next year. Something like 7 games against playoff teams. And 4 others against team that could have been a playoff team but they lost their star QB (ie Green Bay). 

Like this year, I don't think they will have a set number of wins needed. Especially if they have a rookie QB. I think there is a big disconnect in how fans on this board view them vs how ownership/players view them. A sizable amount of people on this board thought they were both going to get fired this year yet they got extended. 

Yea I think it will be about development next year. If we have rookie growing pains so long as the rest of the pieces look like they are playing well then I think we keep Macc and Bowles. That said I think we'd be in a really good position to make a push for the playoffs if the rookie can play competently.

16 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Yea I think it will be about development next year. If we have rookie growing pains so long as the rest of the pieces look like they are playing well then I think we keep Macc and Bowles. That said I think we'd be in a really good position to make a push for the playoffs if the rookie can play competently.

Exactly

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

We have an insane schedule next year. Something like 7 games against playoff teams. And 4 others against team that could have been a playoff team but they lost their star QB (ie Green Bay). 

Like this year, I don't think they will have a set number of wins needed. Especially if they have a rookie QB. I think there is a big disconnect in how fans on this board view them vs how ownership/players view them. A sizable amount of people on this board thought they were both going to get fired this year yet they got extended. 

Ditto

Hey fellas. From the sounds of it, Gruden will be our HC with Morton as the OC and Gannon as our QB coach. Gruden will undoubtely be the playcaller, but can you guys give me some insight on Morton? What does he excel at? What are his schemes like? Is he good at adapting? Any and all info would be appreciated!

4 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Is that right, Morton signed with Jets for one season.  If so, his contract expires at end of this month. Jets can renew his contract if he wants to stay with Jets.

No, Morton is under contract. It doesn't sound like a foregone conclusion that the Jets would let him walk as Mehta reported... the rumor is that Todd may want to gauge John DeFillipo (ironically PHI blocked our request to interview him last year) since his contract will expire when the Eagles season ends. Furthermore, the Gruden situation can't be finalized until after next Saturday's Chiefs/Titans game because he's scheduled to call that game. If Todd is able to get some feelers whether DeFillipo would be interested in being our OC, then it makes sense to let Morton walk if he's offered the job. If DeFillipo looks bleak, you either block the request or allow him to move on if you're comfortable with Jeremy Bates. 

I have faith in Morton so I'm hoping we keep he and the offensive staff in place. If he moves on, a quarterback-centric combo of DeFillipo/Bates/Lombardi would still be excellent. Anything short of that would leave a bitter taste. 

12 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hey fellas. From the sounds of it, Gruden will be our HC with Morton as the OC and Gannon as our QB coach. Gruden will undoubtely be the playcaller, but can you guys give me some insight on Morton? What does he excel at? What are his schemes like? Is he good at adapting? Any and all info would be appreciated!

Leave him alone, you already have nice things. 

Archived