Gruden expected to want OC Morton in Oakland

jetskid007

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Our owner looks like Lloyd Christmas. We need all the help we can get.

You have Lynch, my favorite person in the league. 

Seriously, people have different opinions on here. I liked him because what he was able to do with this group. McCown has never played a full season as a starter at age 38, Enunwa got hurt, Anderson went from being a 4th option last season to being our #1 and almost reaching 1k (would have if McCown stayed healthy), Forte is old, ASJ first time as a starter after changing his ways, and more. I would love to tell you what he likes to do, but I'm not sure if he only did those things because of what we had. 

I believe he would light it up with Carr. I'm sure others on here will tell you details of his scheme or make it seem like I'm lying about how bad our talent is. lol 

10 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

You have Lynch, my favorite person in the league. 

Seriously, people have different opinions on here. I liked him because what he was able to do with this group. McCown has never played a full season as a starter at age 38, Enunwa got hurt, Anderson went from being a 4th option last season to being our #1 and almost reaching 1k (would have if McCown stayed healthy), Forte is old, ASJ first time as a starter after changing his ways, and more. I would love to tell you what he likes to do, but I'm not sure if he only did those things because of what we had. 

I believe he would light it up with Carr. I'm sure others on here will tell you details of his scheme or make it seem like I'm lying about how bad our talent is. lol 

Morton's not a natural born playcaller, but he's a good coach. He adapts and blends offensive philosophies. His a WCO truther: uses the quick-short passing game to open up the deep throws. He's big on rhythm passing and forces the receivers to learn all spots (XYZ), which led to a lot of our success. Robby Anderson made huge strides and became a complete receiver; some of his most effective usage was in the slot for quick-hitting 8-10 yard gains. Kearse also became a complete receiver, lining up all over the field and was most effective in the slot as well. Kerley, who has always been a smart receiver and understood the WCO most, played extremely well before he was suspended. Simply put, Morton will immediately upgrade your receiving core. He also implemented an inside-out blocking scheme with us. Mixes and matches personnel, switching between 2 TE sets, 3 WR 1 TE, 4 WR, and traditional (FB). Favored the passing game this season, but I think that he did so because of our lack of a true between-the-tackles runner. 

Morton's best attribute is his dedication to detail and fundamentals. You don't always see it on game-day, but he knows how to game plan around guys specific talents/skill sets and gets the most out of his players by coaching them hard. For the most part the Jets were very good in the first half this year, which tells you that they were prepared. A lot of teams script their first 20 plays and based on what I saw, we did the same. The struggle was always late in the game. I can see why Gruden would want him; they'd collaborate on offensive ideas, philosophies, play design - then Gruden would come up with the "final" playbook, and he'd rely on Morton to lead the offensive meetings, coach the day-to-day things, and basically be an extension of Gruden's influence throughout the week. Then come game-day, Gruden would call the plays. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hey fellas. From the sounds of it, Gruden will be our HC with Morton as the OC and Gannon as our QB coach. Gruden will undoubtely be the playcaller, but can you guys give me some insight on Morton? What does he excel at? What are his schemes like? Is he good at adapting? Any and all info would be appreciated!

He's been our best OC in a long time I hope we block him from leaving.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think we were lucky. Bc we were in every loss minus 3 of them. So 13 games we were in a position to win. With the talent he had, yes we exceeded expectations. But we are pretty much losing no one valuable (Mo was awful). You’re correct in that we don’t have Dallas’ OLine or Elliott. But... if we don’t get a Cousins, we can spend that 100mill on 2 OLineman, Bell perhaps, Graham at TE, a star WR, etc. Making this situation similar to that of Dallas’ for a rookie QB. That’s even without talking about our 2 2nd Rounder and our early 3rd pick either. This roster in several ways will be upgraded in the offseason. Think of the 2015 offseason and he actually have more cap space than that even. And there’s a better FA pool.

While maybe the Jets won't attract marquee free agents right now, they are definitely headed in the right direction. A year from now, they could be a solid destination, especially with some of the young guys on this team performing very well. Robby Anderson seems like quite the find in particular and it definitely seems like Maccagnan knows how to draft.

Just now, ekill08x said:

Didnt they block him from interviews with us last year? I doubt he comes here. 

He won't.  One, he'll get HC interviews and is already favorited for Chicago.  Two, he definitely wouldn't leave Philly to come here for a lateral move.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Didnt they block him from interviews with us last year? I doubt he comes here. 

Last year he was under contract, that's not the case this year. I think he'll be a HC unless he wants to wait for a better opportunity.

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

ANOTHA' ONE. Who is this Brian Heimerdinger character?

Very young director of scouting. We hired him in his 20s (I think he’s 30+ now). But based on our drafts I can’t say he’s anything special.

DeFilippo does not call plays in philly. Here, he would basically be head coach of the offense under Bowles. AND, a strong candidate to be an in-season HC replacement if things don't improve next season. I gotta think after what Morton was able to do with this offense that other guys who do NOT call plays would jump at the opportunity to become our OC.

Last off-season, things looked a LOT worse for this organization than they do now. Yes, a lot of that is thanks to Morton, but maybe a guy like DeFilippo wants to become the next Morton?

Archived