Kirk Cousins - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Ghostnote

9 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

They gave him $44M over two years because they didn't wanna give him $100M over 5 he owes them nothing for it. And the long term deal was way below market value.

Nobody said he owes them anything but this woe is me act is silly. I like the guy, he's a pretty good QB and the best we've had in a long time but if he doesn't want to be here no amount of money is going to be good enough and that's the point we've reached with Kirk. 

The long term deal was below market value because it was supposed to be a starting point. One to which Kirks camp didn't counter offer because that's what Jesus told him to do. So yeah. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Nobody said he owes them anything but this woe is me act is silly. I like the guy, he's a pretty good QB and the best we've had in a long time but if he doesn't want to be here no amount of money is going to be good enough and that's the point we've reached with Kirk. 

The long term deal was below market value because it was supposed to be a starting point. One to which Kirks camp didn't counter offer because that's what Jesus told him to do. So yeah. 

It has nothing to do with Jesus, Kirk is just trying to mask the business as much as possible behind talk like that because the Redskins are a nasty franchise when it comes to this stuff. 

As far as him not wanting to be there no matter what, I think that's probably true, but he is going to want 15% of the salary cap minimum and they started out at something super ridiculous like around 10% I think.

If you were trying to sell something worth $500 on craigslist or whatever and asked for best offer instead of stating a price, and someone came at you with $100 you probably wouldn't even respond. Obviously every NFL contract situation starts out with both sides being too high or too low and meeting in the middle but when you've been disrespected like Kirk has and they come at you with something that low, I wouldn't even respond either just to show them where they can shove their deal. On top of that he was looking at $34M guaranteed so he wasn't risking that much by just ignoring them. 

I think what it comes down to is that Kirk is worth what he will get but whereas other franchise QBs like Luck or Carr or whoever like their city/team and will sign a good deal ahead of time that is favorable to all, Washington/Kirk is the opposite with the ownership and surrounding talent, and they will likely have to pay more to keep him than another team would.

Yes, it's extremely unfortunate what Daniel Snyder has done to a once proud franchise. It sucks and a lot of times it's embarrassing as a fan. With that said, Kirks team should've at least counter offered but they didn't. Maybe he felt the deal was insulting but I believe the truth is he simply wants to move on. He's never gotten over the RG3 thing and he still holds a grudge from the way Snyder and Allen behaved after Kirks first start and rightfully so. 

I wish things would've gone differently but I've made peace with how my favorite football team is ran. Kirk is just one in a long line of players that want out. 

On 1/2/2018 at 12:24 PM, Sugashane said:

At least until the NFLPA steps in. I would expect them to do so as they did for Walter Jones when they changed it so the third time a non-QB was franchised it would be at the QB tender. At minimum I would expect them to make the transition tag only usable once, so there would be the 44% increase to force the issue along (assuming that it is not limited).

Except the owners pretty well have the NFLPA under their thumb and are not likely to agree to make a change in Tagging that could effect every QB in the league. Never going to happen!!!

Snyder has never backed away from over paying players, so it is very unlikely he will do so for his QB and in reality, Cousins takes all the risks should he get seriously injured without a long term contract and that is why few stars take those chances. Got to give it to him, he is one brave SOB.

He will be paid huge $$$'s for a long time as long as he stays healthy, but any serious injury and he is out the door without a cap hit!!!

My guess, his first choice will be the Broncos. As a big ole FU to Cousins the Redskins will slap him with the Transition Tag. The Redskins will be able to match any offer that the Broncos make, thats when the team that tried to trade for him on 2 separate occasions (Jets) comes in and signs him to a deal the Redskins can't match. It also gives Bruce Allen the ability to say "We tried to match his new contract but look he decided to take a deal we couldn't match, he's the real bad guy":

6 Years $168M with $75M guaranteed (Average of $28M per year)

Year 1 - $40M

Year 2 - $35M

Year 3 - $24M (12.0% of projected salary cap)

Year 4 - $23M

Year 5 - $23M

Year 6 - $23M

Once cuts are made the Jets will be sitting at $111M is space. We could shell out $40M and still have $71M in cap space to play with. Our own FAs this year will likely cost us $30M + $10M to sign rookies/in season moves, leaving $31M to go out and sign additional FAs. I expect us to target Jensen for $10M per year, Norwell for $12M per year, and then sign a CB in the wheel house of $9M per year. The only FAs the Jets will have in 2019 are Enunwa and Kearse. The first guys we'll have to resign in 2020 are Robby Anderson, Jordan Jenkins, and Leonard Williams.

edit* - oo I should mention that this would leave us with $45M in cap space for 2019

34 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

My guess, his first choice will be the Broncos. As a big ole FU to Cousins the Redskins will slap him with the Transition Tag. The Redskins will be able to match any offer that the Broncos make, thats when the team that tried to trade for him on 2 separate occasions (Jets) comes in and signs him to a deal the Redskins can't match. It also gives Bruce Allen the ability to say "We tried to match his new contract but look he decided to take a deal we couldn't match, he's the real bad guy":

6 Years $168M with $75M guaranteed (Average of $28M per year)

Year 1 - $40M

Year 2 - $35M

Year 3 - $24M (12.0% of projected salary cap)

Year 4 - $23M

Year 5 - $23M

Year 6 - $23M

Once cuts are made the Jets will be sitting at $111M is space. We could shell out $40M and still have $71M in cap space to play with. Our own FAs this year will likely cost us $30M + $10M to sign rookies/in season moves, leaving $31M to go out and sign additional FAs. I expect us to target Jensen for $10M per year, Norwell for $12M per year, and then sign a CB in the wheel house of $9M per year. The only FAs the Jets will have in 2019 are Enunwa and Kearse. The first guys we'll have to resign in 2020 are Robby Anderson, Jordan Jenkins, and Leonard Williams.

edit* - oo I should mention that this would leave us with $45M in cap space for 2019

If you do end up signing those players for that price. You vastly overpaid by about 5 million each.

7 hours ago, OleXmad said:

If you do end up signing those players for that price. You vastly overpaid by about 5 million each.

It would make them the highest paid players at their position, that is usually how FA works. The cap will keep going up as well so I could certainly live with it for 3-4 years when most of their guaranteed money would likely be done. We'd likely have to overpay them to come here before Cousins signs. I doubt he signs an offer sheet with our line in its current state.

1 minute ago, rdelaney89 said:

It would make them the highest paid players at their position, that is usually how FA works. The cap will keep going up as well so I could certainly live with it for 3-4 years when most of their guaranteed money would likely be done. We'd likely have to overpay them to come here before Cousins signs. I doubt he signs an offer sheet with our line in its current state.

That's how FA usually works doesn't mean that's how you should spend your FA dollars. Especially on a medicore one year wonder C and a very good but not worth 12 million guard. 

Just now, OleXmad said:

That's how FA usually works doesn't mean that's how you should spend your FA dollars. Especially on a medicore one year wonder C and a very good but not worth 12 million guard. 

I trust Macc to make the right signings money wise but even still $111M is a lot to spend, if those deals are guaranteed for 2-4 years that gives us time to draft replacements without needing to trade up and sacrifice picks for a QB. You also have to remember that the cap keeps increasing so deals like that are not as painful when all your young players have 2 years before needing a contract.

9 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Jensen for $10M per year

Holy crap, are you kidding me? I had some semblance of hope that given only one season's worth of legitimate production that Jensen would come back relatively cheap. However, if this is the going rate that the market values him at, it was nice knowing you Ryan.

37 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Holy crap, are you kidding me? I had some semblance of hope that given only one season's worth of legitimate production that Jensen would come back relatively cheap. However, if this is the going rate that the market values him at, it was nice knowing you Ryan.

I think he's as good as gone, Jets had the 35th ranked Center this year and we'll have $111M in cap space. They'll negotiate but I think the Jets will be the highest offer (whatever that offer is) I just said $10M because it would make him the highest paid, if he could be had for less than I think the Jets still present the best offer.

8 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I think he's as good as gone, Jets had the 35th ranked Center this year and we'll have $111M in cap space. They'll negotiate but I think the Jets will be the highest offer (whatever that offer is) I just said $10M because it would make him the highest paid, if he could be had for less than I think the Jets still present the best offer.

I wish there were delineations made between offensive linemen for the franchise tag like there are with defensive linemen. Think it might have been worth it to pay Jensen the average salary of the top 5 centers in the NFL (which I assume would be significantly under $10M).

Archived