Pace Extended

blkwdw13

7 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I'm not sure what's so unclear about the "collaborative effort" stuff. Ultimately Pace has final say, but he's receptive to input from other people. It's not a dictatorship. Do people want it to be a dictatorship? Judging by the reactions I've heard, I guess they do. They apparently want a GM who doesn't listen to anybody else.

People think it means the one or both of George Mccaskey or Ted Phillips is meddling.  Thats why they are upset.

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

People think it means the one or both of George Mccaskey or Ted Phillips is meddling.  Thats why they are upset.

Like I’ve said before, I think the fans want them to be involved so they have something to complain about.

I thought Hub asked the best question of this segment and I was thoroughly disappointed with Paces response.

He asked if there would be any additions to the scouting department/front office. The answer was essentially No, I don't need the help. 

We lost a key cog in Douglas a year ago and didn't replace him with anybody. Now this wouldn't be a big deal if the scouting department was hitting on all cylinders, but they're NOT. Pro Personel department has been extremely sub-par thus far.

4 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I thought Hub asked the best question of this segment and I was thoroughly disappointed with Paces response.

He asked if there would be any additions to the scouting department/front office. The answer was essentially No, I don't need the help. 

We lost a key cog in Douglas a year ago and didn't replace him with anybody. Now this wouldn't be a big deal if the scouting department was hitting on all cylinders, but they're NOT. Pro Personel department has been extremely sub-par thus far.

No that’s not what he said. He said they were going to focus on hiring a HC first and then he would evaluate everything else and make a decision. 

6 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

No that’s not what he said. He said they were going to focus on hiring a HC first and then he would evaluate everything else and make a decision. 

That's exactly what he said. He worked around the question any way he could and settled with that cliche answer. 

1 minute ago, pigsooie5 said:

That's exactly what he said. He worked around the question any way he could and settled with that cliche answer. 

Then that’s just what you wanted to hear, not what was actually said. 

1 minute ago, pigsooie5 said:

Watching this presser, Pace did not come off as an articulate person. I think he is a smart guy, but he very clearly doesn’t like being asked questions that he doesn’t want to answer, and doesn’t speak on the spot very well. His presentation of his prepared remarks felt very unenergetic.

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Watching this presser, Pace did not come off as an articulate person. I think he is a smart guy, but he very clearly doesn’t like being asked questions that he doesn’t want to answer, and doesn’t speak on the spot very well. His presentation of his prepared remarks felt very unenergetic.

Yup.

5 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

It makes me think that he is probably football smart, but he doesn’t have the full set of skills to be a complete GM. That’s not to say he can’t be effective, but he won’t ever be the face of the franchise.

I would also imagine youth might allow him to further develop that. He is only 40 or so and probably did not have to do a lot of conference work where there is give and take in his position in NO. Doing the questions and answers is basically like customer service, you just get better at it as you go on, though he may never be that "gravitational personality" that everyone seems drawn to. He definitely did seem to show he needs to work on it with the limited amount I saw.

I don't care what his pressers are like though, if he gets the right coach and keeps stringing together solid drafts we will get wins. That is all I care about.

8 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Does this mean Pace and the bears can bomb in 2018 get 4 or 5 wins again and Pace will be safe?   

I think he will get the upcoming season and one more, if we don’t make the playoffs by then I think we clean house again

Parkins repeatedly asked today for tangible evidence that Ted Phillips has meddled in Ryan Pace’s football operations.

During the transition show, Bernstein argued fans have more of a problem with the perception that Phillips could be meddling than whether or not he actually is meddling.

18 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Parkins repeatedly asked today for tangible evidence that Ted Phillips has meddled in Ryan Pace’s football operations.

During the transition show, Bernstein argued fans have more of a problem with the perception that Phillips could be meddling than whether or not he actually is meddling.

We have had a lot of incompetence in the 20ish years he has been the team President...  that alone is all people need to look at to say he is meddling. No tangible proof.

Just like how Jay didn't care about winning, we don't need proof to make assumptions and run with it. lol

Did Pace earn the contract extension? Of course he did not.

But the single most important thing that the Bears are doing right now is hiring a head coach and the extension helps that. The Bears can now offer a 4 year deal to the a coach that lines up with the GM.

Pace makes 2 million/year. This will not keep them from firing him in 2 years if he continues to not get results.

Archived