Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Well, it depends on what happened in those "recent interactions with Packers executives".  Anyone remember when John Jones was ousted?  That was the proper move as he had a radical personality change after some health issues.

Yeah it's one thing if it's just people being mad or something with no personal experience but if the report is true it's based off face to face interactions/concerns 

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We never really got a glimpse much into what exactly these two do, we know more about Russ Ball than these two.

I can tell you that if Ball gets the job, they both probably leave. If one or the other gets it, they'll probably stay until they are hired away.

I think as long as the GB job is open, you'll have a hard time generating any interest from either Wolf or Gute. I mean it's a GM job with 100% team control, no owner and Aaron Rodgers. That's a top 3 job in the NFL.

Who knows, this might not be the case. Mike might be given some serious control over the roster, and honestly I kinda hope he does get some control over the offensive roster. 

Makes sense that he'd leave. He realistically has no shot at GM, and if Ted steps back down to Director of College Scouting, he can't get that job either. Sucks to lose talent, but I'd rather be able to have either Wolf or Gutekunst as GM and be able to keep the other

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Kicking Teddy while he's down. I bet HaHa is speaking for a lot of players on this. Not just the fans anymore...

HHCD has been pretty outspoken the last year, but man. I only have 2 jersey's and HHCD is one of them... I wish I had Adams instead. Fell off a cliff this year and still yapping

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

Makes sense that he'd leave. He realistically has no shot at GM, and if Ted steps back down to Director of College Scouting, he can't get that job either. Sucks to lose talent, but I'd rather be able to have either Wolf or Gutekunst as GM and be able to keep the other

He has no shot at the Browns job either. It's a move to pressure a promotion here IMO.

And now it's officially official

Green Bay Packers Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson will transition to a role as senior advisor to football operations, team President/CEO Mark Murphy announced Tuesday.

“I want to thank Ted for his tireless efforts as the general manager of the Green Bay Packers for these past 13 seasons. Under his guidance, the Packers enjoyed a remarkable run of success, one that included our 13th world championship, four NFC Championship appearances and eight consecutive postseason berths,” said Murphy. “The organization, our fans and our community were fortunate to have had one of the NFL’s all-time great general managers leading our football operations. On a personal note, Ted’s work ethic, humility and loyalty are nearly unparalleled, and it has been one of the great honors of my life to work beside him. Fortunately, Ted will remain involved in our personnel department as we work to win another championship. We will begin an immediate search for the next general manager of the Green Bay Packers.”

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:
3 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

He has no shot at the Browns job either. It's a move to pressure a promotion here IMO.

What promotion here? Ted likely is stepping down to what, director of college football? There is no place for him here unless Gutekunst or Wolf leaves

edit nvm. ted is senior advisor

17 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

No offense , I respect the Texans but that gig doesn't compare to the Packers when you consider tradition and everything like that.

Opposite ends of the spectrum - you can either be part of a long tradition, or you can be the foundational block of a new tradition (which is what the Texans gig is, in essence). 

Folks are wired differently. You take pride in the longstanding tradition you've joined, I take pride in being involved since day one when they unveiled the logo. Neither of us are wrong or right, neither really hold weight over the other.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Basically he's now the Assisant to the Regional Manager. 

The fact that they are giving him any position speaks to him at least having fairly decent health .. at least I would think so.  I take it he just was not up to the large task of running an NFL franchise.  He was rumored to have been delegating a lot of his work the past few years .. probably why we went a little nuts in free agency compared to past years.  

Archived