Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

Front office tensions now spilling out? Love it. Interesting that secrets are sort of trickling out.

Cleveland is definitely gonna get good soon. Dorsey had much better drafts in KC than a lot of the crap we've had since 2011. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

true, could all be benign. the trust comment could just be him happy to go somewhere he has familiarity and established trust already.

Yup.   Dorsey and Highsmith are both former NFL players.   Somewhat of a brotherhood in that deal vs the others that are not.   Does not make it right, but certainly there can be a fraternity of sorts in that.

I don’t know if Highsmith’s comment necessarily reflects how he felt in the Packers’ organization, it could have been a reference to how quickly Dorsey acted to bring him on board, and how much of the organization he was given access to right away. I could see that, especially considering it took him over a decade in Green Bay to earn his way to that kind of insight. 

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yup.   Dorsey and Highsmith are both former NFL players.   Somewhat of a brotherhood in that deal vs the others that are not.   Does not make it right, but certainly there can be a fraternity of sorts in that.

I learned he was drafted 3rd overall as a fullback and also held out twice in his career. Useless knowledge I'll now retain.

13 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

Front office tensions now spilling out? Love it. Interesting that secrets are sort of trickling out.

Cleveland is definitely gonna get good soon. Dorsey had much better drafts in KC than a lot of the crap we've had since 2011. 

weird how they had the #1 overall pick the year he got there and they did better (according to you) than GB who had the 26th pick.

Almost like draft capital matters :)

13 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

Well with the table set by the GM they just fired there is no excuse to not get better.  2 of top 4 picks, 5 of the top 64.  Dorsey was sooo effective he was shown the door with NO super bowl appearances.  C'mon, what other direction could Cleveland possibly go?

2 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Well with the table set by the GM they just fired there is no excuse to not get better.  2 of top 4 picks, 5 of the top 64.  Dorsey was sooo effective he was shown the door with NO super bowl appearances.  C'mon, what other direction could Cleveland possibly go?

You mean coming off an 0-16 campaign that is following a 1-15 campaign.   Not to pick on the Browns, but there is just about no where to go up up.

I hate to switch gears, but I seriously doubt Reggie McKenzie is the next GM. I've seen several reports about how Gruden is going to be the next coach and McKenzie will be out on his kiester because Gruden will want to be GM....not buying any of that...

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

I hate to switch gears, but I seriously doubt Reggie McKenzie is the next GM. I've seen several reports about how Gruden is going to be the next coach and McKenzie will be out on his kiester because Gruden will want to be GM....not buying any of that...

I don’t think McKenzie will be fired, I just think Gruden having say over personnel would open the door for McKenzie to jump ship. It all depends on whether the move to sign Gruden comes from the GM or the owner. 

I think he's glad to be out .. might have been a fairly restrictive place to be for a guy that is considered a fun loving guy.  This tweet from Nagler was funny .. probably fairly true.  

I did see that. I'm not surprised. It's not discord, it's how things were run with Ted in charge. One personnel guy I spoke to joked it was like working in North Korea. I'm sure Zo is happy to be somewhere they will let him be himself.

Interesting tidbit from the story linked below ... you can still have plenty of success with a GM from a non-scouting background.  We'd just have to make sure there were strong scouting pros around Ball.  By the way .. Wolf gets interviewed Thursday .. Ball and Gutekunst shortly thereafter.

"Philadelphia, New Orleans, Carolina, Cincinnati, Dallas and Washington all have general managers who did not come up through the scouting or coaching ranks. The Eagles, Saints and Panthers are all in the playoffs and Cincinnati went to the playoffs every year from 2011-’15."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/02/packers-shift-ted-thompson-into-senior-advisor-role/995884001/

Archived