Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

Over the years we lost scouts like Scot McCloughan, John Schneider, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie to GM jobs.

Ted Thompson had some great success drafting with those guys under him and he managed to continue bringing along Eliot Wolf, Brian Gutekunst and Alonzo Highsmith.

We had football guys making football decisions throughout the Favre and Rodgers eras with much success. They were the lifeblood of the Packers who believed in the draft and develop mantra.

However I fear for the worst if we hire Russ Ball. We could lose all of Eliot Wolf, Brian Gutekunst and Alonzo Highsmith. Thats basically the core of our scouting staff decimated. The lifeblood of the Packers gone just like that. Russ Ball cannot hope to succeed if he does not have experienced football men to surround himself with. How is he expected to make football decisions without the football guys input?

The same scenario will happen if we hire a football guy outside the organisation however if its the RIGHT hire he should be able to bring talented scouts with him to the organisation. Russ Ball does not have that luxury.

His options are limited. He could hire guys that knows how the front office is run like McCloughan and possibly McKenzie if he's fired. He still got a couple of high level scouts to promote in Sullivan and Wojciechowski. He also has TT ear if he needs it. Its not an ideal situtation and he would have to hope that Wolf or Gutekunst will swallow their pride and stay to work with Ball.

I keep coming back to this. The Packers success is 100% reliant on the draft therefore the need to have football guys making football decisions within the organisation is paramount. Hiring Russ Ball goes against that. I fully expect either Wolf or Gutekunst to be our next GM and continue on the Packers front office culture that Ron Wolf has created.

I'll reserve judgment on the mental well being of the Packers FO until I see how things play out with Ball, Wolf and Gutekunst.  If all three ultimately remain in GB, I have to believe things are fine.  If two of them remain, that's in line with what I always expected.  If only one is left standing, that would have me a little concerned.  With TT stepping down, if three of the original "big 4" beneath him leave the organization, that has to be viewed as a significant blow to the Packers FO.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'll reserve judgment on the mental well being of the Packers FO until I see how things play out with Ball, Wolf and Gutekunst.  If all three ultimately remain in GB, I have to believe things are fine.  If two of them remain, that's in line with what I always expected.  If only one is left standing, that would have me a little concerned.  With TT stepping down, if three of the original "big 4" beneath him leave the organization, that has to be viewed as a significant blow to the Packers FO.

I'm not too worried about it .. the Packers front office is a place that top scouting talent will want to be.  If we go with Ball and Gute and Wolf leave there will be other top scouts dying to take those jobs.  We really don't know enough about either guy to know just how great they are.  Every organization in the NFL has sharp scouting talent .. we have some guys under Wolf and Gute that are probably ready to step up.  We can always go after McCloughan or McKenzie if we need a seasoned and proven veteran to head up our scouting staff.  Basically I'm saying it's not the end of the world if Russ Ball is our next GM.  

Not a matter of whether it would be the end of the world.  Losing Highsmith, Wolf and Gutekunst in the same off-season would be a significant loss for the FO.  There is no way around it.  Especially in a year where the team has a higher than normal slot in the draft.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not a matter of whether it would be the end of the world.  Losing Highsmith, Wolf and Gutekunst in the same off-season would be a significant loss for the FO.  There is no way around it.  Especially in a year where the team has a higher than normal slot in the draft.

If it happens you flex your muscle and rob some guys from other teams .. just like the Browns did with Highsmith.

I'm sour on Ball for several other reasons as well. Ball would do well working out the numbers with vested veterans, but while he could basically rely on TT to make all the drafting decisions, what happens when TT actually DOES retire. 

I still contend that Wolf or Gutekunst are our guys with Russ Ball being a special asst in regards to numbers and operations while TT has a strong voice in the decision-making.

What outside candidates would you guys like to bring in for an interview?

I was thinking Trent Baalke, he built a great defense in SF. The Packers will always have a good offense with #12.

I want a GM who can evaluate defensive as well as offense. Don't know why he was let go but a left some good pieces for Lynch.

I don't want Trent Baalke. His time at the 49ers filled with feuding and poor decision making screams "stay away!"

What is it with Packers fans being obsessed with the 49ers. First Fangio and now Baalke 9_9

Eric DeCosta, Joe Douglas, George Paton are the obvious candidates to try and interview.

I don't think they need to look outside the organization at all.  They have 3 very good candidates in house.

This franchise doesn't need a fresh, new perspective, ala Ron Wolf back in the day.  It needs an evolution from where it is at...  They would be wise to take one of either Gute or Wolf and keep the stability of the organization going strong.

22 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I was thinking Trent Baalke, he built a great defense in SF. The Packers will always have a good offense with #12.

I want a GM who can evaluate defensive as well as offense. Don't know why he was let go but a left some good pieces for Lynch.

Eric DeCosta from the Ravens would be a good one to interview.  He's been the top guy under Ozzie Newsome for several years and is thought to be their heir.  The Packers job is one that he would probably have to seriously consider.  That organization does a lot of things right .. very well run.

38 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Baalke now owns land southwest of Tomahawk. I have a relative that's living across the street from him.

That said, if we go outside the organization, we have to grab Eric DeCosta. 

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Baalke now owns land southwest of Tomahawk. I have a relative that's living across the street from him.

That said, if we go outside the organization, we have to grab Eric DeCosta. 

Baalke is a guy like McCloughan. Don't think of him as the next GM. But could be someone to look at as a potential replacement for Alonzo, Wolf, or Gute if they leave after not getting the GM job.

Archived