Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

28 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Eric DeCosta from the Ravens would be a good one to interview.  He's been the top guy under Ozzie Newsome for several years and is thought to be their heir.  The Packers job is one that he would probably have to seriously consider.  That organization does a lot of things right .. very well run.

Baltimore is probably looking at us as a decent offensive scouting organization, while we're looking at them as a defensive scouting organization.  For an org that is well run they experience success about as often as we do.  I'd call it a wash and stay inhouse.

MMQB has just put up an article highlighting what is at stake for the Packers.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/03/packers-front-office-ted-thompson-mike-mccarthy-aaron-rodgers

The writer basically echoed my worries about losing our stable and reliable scouting department if the decision is made to hire Russ Ball. That will have massive ramifications as to the direction of the future of the franchise.

The Total Packers blogger (who I have a very low opinion of btw) made an eye opening quote:

Ball is tight with team president Mark Murphy. They both have the same mindset — money

If it's money that is driving the GM decision then we're in trouble.

There's a decent article about Murphy:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-gm-search-gives-mark-murphy-chance-to-show-his/article_7e5cfaf0-8cc3-5690-aa71-a0f1b0dd8955.html

The very opening paragraph shows his accomplishments with the non-football side of things:

He’s increased profits to record levels. He’s upgraded Lambeau Field and boosted seating capacity to the third-most in the NFL. He’s expanded the Green Bay Packers’ real estate footprint and revenue streams to include the sparkling new Titletown district.

Money-wise he has been very successful and if he hires a money guy in Russ Ball then that will highlight where his priorities lie. Money not football. The board of directors has been rumored to have pressured him to oust Thompson, maybe because of money. However I do somewhat believe him that it was a mutual decision between him and TT. TT would've outright quit rather than accept a scouting position if he was delibrately forced out. The fact that TT has yet to speak to the media about this gives me pause. I honestly hope there isn't a Game of Thrones jostling for power going on behind the scenes.

Wolf may have been groomed as a GM in waiting but he actually doesnt have a pure scouting background either. If we want to hire a pure scout then Gutekunst is the best in-house candidate.

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Interesting tidbit from the story linked below ... you can still have plenty of success with a GM from a non-scouting background.  We'd just have to make sure there were strong scouting pros around Ball.  By the way .. Wolf gets interviewed Thursday .. Ball and Gutekunst shortly thereafter.

"Philadelphia, New Orleans, Carolina, Cincinnati, Dallas and Washington all have general managers who did not come up through the scouting or coaching ranks. The Eagles, Saints and Panthers are all in the playoffs and Cincinnati went to the playoffs every year from 2011-’15."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/02/packers-shift-ted-thompson-into-senior-advisor-role/995884001/

Thompson is staying around so that's one. Again, would love for them to bring McCloughan back into the fold as well. I wonder which outside candidates they'll be interviewing for the GM job

It would be unfortunate to lose Wolf and Gutekunst, but I'd imagine they would still retain a number of their scouts plus there would be plenty of people looking to get in at any level of the Packers organization. If they're upgrades or downgrades? That would of course remain to be seen.

Also, even though Ball's concern could be money, it still doesn't mean he wouldn't go after FAs if they're out there. It just means we'd (hopefully) get more team friendly contracts and avoid a Joe Johnson type situation. Hopefully.

17 minutes ago, Green19 said:

It’s going to pretty funny if they pick Ball and he ends up being worse then Ted, by being Ted 2.0.

Ted's entire background was in scouting and he's a scout first and foremost. Ball has done a bunch of stuff, but his specialty is the management of contracts.

I just don't see why you'd take a guy doing what he absolutely does best and put him in a position where he can't focus on that. Make a scout GM and keep the cap wizard managing your contracts.

This whole move to me seems like nothing more than Murphy's way to get his friend the GM job. Losing Wolf, Gute and Highsmith in one off-season would be about the worst thing that could happen to our FO and it's a legit possibility if we hire Ball.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Ted's entire background was in scouting and he's a scout first and foremost. Ball has done a bunch of stuff, but his specialty is the management of contracts.

I just don't see why you'd take a guy doing what he absolutely does best and put him in a position where he can't focus on that. Make a scout GM and keep the cap wizard managing your contracts.

This whole move to me seems like nothing more than Murphy's way to get his friend the GM job. Losing Wolf, Gute and Highsmith in one off-season would be about the worst thing that could happen to our FO and it's a legit possibility if we hire Ball.

That’s my point... Ball will follow Ted’s model (because he isn’t truly a talent evaluator/scout). So he will just draft and develop and all the while ignoring FA because of the issue it could cause to the cap if you miss etc.

The best play is hire Brian or Eliot as the GM and they handle all the football stuff. Promote Russ in a new position where he does the cap, and like everything else. We all heard Mark say the GMdoes more than get talent... well change that. Breakup the GM position into 2 roles... putting the best people in those specific roles.

Of course... that’s if Brian/Eliot and Russ aren’t driven by ego and want to do it all.

But I knew Russ would likely be the favorite for the job... too much noise early on about him and mark being really close.

Ball is the hire in this hypothetical, he seems to have been heavily involved in recent decisions such as Adams and Linsley being re-signed.  This would signal to Gutekunst that he is not Green Bay's guy at this time.  He might stick around while he waits for another interview elsewhere.  Meanwhile Wolf is retained/promoted again and along with Ted and someone from outside (McCloughan potentially) giving Ball plenty of scouting advisory.  Wolf is 34, Ball is 58.  This is obviously where Eliot wants to be and he still puts himself in good position for a chance for the GM spot in the somewhat near future.  Continuity and as much of your top personnel is retained as possible.

Just day dreaming.

What positive examples in the league are there of administrative guys or non-scouting guys being GM and fielding talented teams?

i can’t say because outside of GB I don’t know too much of the front office landscape in the league.

1 hour ago, Striker said:

It would be unfortunate to lose Wolf and Gutekunst, but I'd imagine they would still retain a number of their scouts

That would be my big concern. Losing wolf and Gute would be bad, but if they get GM jobs in other cities, they’re likely to take scouts they trust with them, and offer them promotions. 

11 minutes ago, Green19 said:

But I knew Russ would likely be the favorite for the job... too much noise early on about him and mark being really close.

My opinion is that Russ Ball will do better in the search firm assessments from Korn Ferry. Wolf and Gute will do better on the football side.

The best thing for GB is a combo platter, hope that's what happens

9 minutes ago, Green19 said:

What positive examples in the league are there of administrative guys or non-scouting guys being GM and fielding talented teams?

i can’t say because outside of GB I don’t know too much of the front office landscape in the league.

"Philadelphia, New Orleans, Carolina, Cincinnati, Dallas and Washington all have general managers who did not come up through the scouting or coaching ranks. The Eagles, Saints and Panthers are all in the playoffs and Cincinnati went to the playoffs every year from 2011-’15."

39 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I haven't like this Ball talk from moment one. Is this a way for Ted to still make decisions behind the scenes for this team? 

17 minutes ago, northernpackfan said:

That would be my big concern. Losing wolf and Gute would be bad, but if they get GM jobs in other cities, they’re likely to take scouts they trust with them, and offer them promotions. 

Oh man didn't even consider that. Our front office is going to be gutted if we dont retain one of Wolf or Gute.

Everything Ron Wolf has built will end if we hire Ball.

If we choose not to hire Wolf or Gute then we need to hire an outstanding outside GM prospect who will bring in an uber-talented scouting team to compensate for our front office losses.

I think Ball is more likely to stay if we dont hire him than Wolf/Gute staying if we dont hire one of them.

Play the odds, get a football guy in.

I'm nervous of Russ Ball getting hired as our GM. He has no previous scouting background and rumors are he's sorta friends with Murhpy. Would Ted be making behind the scenes decisions yet? Pay no attention to the man behind the Curtain and the Wizzard of Oz worries me. Anybody else having similar thoughts? Anybody worried about him not having any previous scouting background? Either piss and moan with me or change my mind someone!

Archived