Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Zach Kruse -   Restructuring Aaron Jones' contract would also be interesting. Converting his $3.75M roster bonus to a signing bonus is likely, but it would bump his 2023 cap hit to $20.5M and the dead money cap hit of cutting him to $9M. Uncomfortable numbers for a RB on second contract.

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

It absolutely makes no sense what he was able to do, in the era that he played, and then no one tried to or was able to replicate his type of play for many decades. A complete outlier. 

I know little about the game from that time but he’s a player I would like to understand better in the context of the era he played. 

I think the main part is GB was so far ahead of other teams w/r/t the passing game, and Hutson was the absolute perfect player in the perfect place...sort of like how Joe Montana was the perfect triggerman for the West Coast Offense, but now imagine if Montana's relative physical talent level was "Randy Moss." Other teams didn't even really have pass routes at that time, it was basically "run out there and get open" with maybe a rough plan of "cut outside" or "go deep." Arnie Herber was consitently leading the league in passing yds and tds prior to Huston's arrival. 

So you have a forward-thinking coach + a transcendent talent, you get an supernova. Some chalk his amazing 1942 season to playing during WW2, but he was putting doubling and tripling up the #2 rec guys prior to Dec 1941. 

I compiled a list a short while ago about possible QB coaches:

Jake Peetz. the former LSU coordinator is available, I think he was on the same staff as Shanahan at Washington so he has some knowledge of the scheme. Coincidentally LSU replaced him with Mike Denbrock who was Notre Dame offensive coordinator when LaFleur was QB coach.

Liam Coen is Kentucky OC and QB coach, he was on the Rams as Assistant QB and WR coach under McVay.

Zac Robinson. Former Oklahoma State QB who is currently the LA Rams assistant QB coach. He replaced Coen when he left for Kentucky. Might be familar enough with the scheme to be considered a viable option.

Austin Davis is interesting because he was the Titans backup QB when LaFleur was offensive coordinator. After his career ended he was fast tracked to QB coach with the Seahawks and just a year later accepted an offensive coordinator gig with Auburn but it lasted a month stepping away citing personal reasons.

T. C. McCartney was QB coach at Denver when Scangarello was coordinator so his name might crop up if Scangarello is hired as our OC. Familiar with the scheme having worked under Shanahan with the 49ers. Currently an offensive assistant with the Browns.

Jeremy Bates is an interesting one. Coached Cutler, Hasselbeck and McCown. Was on Denver's staff with Shanahan. Been out of the game since 2018. Only 45 and been coordinator with both the Seahawks and Jets. No idea why he is completely out of football.

Wild Cards include Matt Schaub who only just retired from the NFL last year and is someone LaFleur once coached, Dan Orlovsky - LaFleur knows him from Houston and has ties with the NFC North and of course there's Josh McCown just because he is seen as a future NFL head coach if he ever decides to go into coaching.

However we do have a quality control coach who was an extremely mediocre former college QB, Tim Zetts so he could be a candidate for promotion but LaFleur would've done so already if he was a viable option.

I admit, the list isn't great and short of getting a QB coach on a lateral move there aren't many options for LaFleur.  He might have to bring in someone who he has no absolutely prior connection with however he is known to have made such outside hires before as evidenced with a few members of his current coaching staff. Looking around the NFL such candidates include Charlie Frye, Jordan Salkin, Billy Vandemerkt, Press Taylor, Jerrod Johnson, Brian Schottenheimer, Justin Rascati, Jerry Schuplinski, Russ Callaway, Alex Tanney, Henry Burris, Tanner Engstrand, T.J. Yates and Thad Lewis.

If I have to place my money on who LaFleur has set his eyes on it would be Zac Robinson. The fact the Rams is still playing for the superbowl means LaFleur has to wait to hire him which could also explain why the QB coach spot has remained vacant.

Of course there's another possible reason. LaFleur is waiting for Rodgers to decide what he wants to do before he makes any decision on a QB coach. The type of QB coach will be dependent on who our starting QB is. So we could be waiting until March 8th at the latest before we hear of any news regarding a new QB coach.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chili said:

I compiled a list a short while ago about possible QB coaches:

Jake Peetz. the former LSU coordinator is available, I think he was on the same staff as Shanahan at Washington so he has some knowledge of the scheme. Coincidentally LSU replaced him with Mike Denbrock who was Notre Dame offensive coordinator when LaFleur was QB coach.

Liam Coen is Kentucky OC and QB coach, he was on the Rams as Assistant QB and WR coach under McVay.

Zac Robinson. Former Oklahoma State QB who is currently the LA Rams assistant QB coach. He replaced Coen when he left for Kentucky. Might be familar enough with the scheme to be considered a viable option.

Austin Davis is interesting because he was the Titans backup QB when LaFleur was offensive coordinator. After his career ended he was fast tracked to QB coach with the Seahawks and just a year later accepted an offensive coordinator gig with Auburn but it lasted a month stepping away citing personal reasons.

T. C. McCartney was QB coach at Denver when Scangarello was coordinator so his name might crop up if Scangarello is hired as our OC. Familiar with the scheme having worked under Shanahan with the 49ers. Currently an offensive assistant with the Browns.

Jeremy Bates is an interesting one. Coached Cutler, Hasselbeck and McCown. Was on Denver's staff with Shanahan. Been out of the game since 2018. Only 45 and been coordinator with both the Seahawks and Jets. No idea why he is completely out of football.

Wild Cards include Matt Schaub who only just retired from the NFL last year and is someone LaFleur once coached,Dan Orlovsky - LaFleur knows him from Houston and has ties with the NFC North and of course there's Josh McCown just because he is seen as a future NFL head coach if he ever decides to go into coaching.

However we do have a quality control coach who was an extremely mediocre former college QB, Tim Zetts so he could be a candidate for promotion but LaFleur would've done so already if he was a viable option.

I admit, the list isn't great and short of getting a QB coach on a lateral move there aren't many options for LaFleur.  He might have to bring in someone who he has no absolutely prior connection with however he is known to have made such outside hires before as evidenced with a few members of his current coaching staff. Looking around the NFL such candidates include Charlie Frye, Jordan Salkin, Billy Vandemerkt, Press Taylor, Jerrod Johnson, Brian Schottenheimer, Justin Rascati, Jerry Schuplinski, Russ Callaway, Alex Tanney, Henry Burris, Tanner Engstrand, T.J. Yates and Thad Lewis.

If I have to place my money on who LaFleur has set his eyes on it would be Zac Robinson. The fact the Rams is still playing for the superbowl means LaFleur has to wait to hire him which could also explain why the QB coach spot has remained vacant.

Of course there's another possible reason. LaFleur is waiting for Rodgers to decide what he wants to do before he makes any decision on a QB coach. The type of QB coach will be dependent on who our starting QB is. So we could be waiting until March 8th at the latest before we hear of any news regarding a new QB coach.

I can't decide if Orlovsky would be good or bad because while I wouldn't have to listen to Orlovsky's bad takes in the media any longer, he'd be coaching the Packers QBs.

What other NFL teams besides the Browns have gone 0-16, 1-15? - SBNation.com

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chili said:

This guy stood out to me as well in so much as he'd be coming from the McVay coaching tree.