Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Tony Pauline -

New deal coming for Preston Smith?

Packers pass rusher Preston Smith could have a new pact soon, as things seem to be moving quickly and smoothly. I would expect a deal on a renegotiated contract sooner rather than later. Expect more upfront money for Smith in 2022 in order to get his cap number down this season.

Quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers, Mitchell Trubisky being discussed at NFL Combine

During his press conference at the NFL Combine the other day, Denver Broncos general manager George Paton said the franchise would leave “no stone unturned” in their search for a new quarterback. Last night, the “no stone unturned” quote was translated by league people as a sense of desperation in the organization to acquire a quarterback as soon as possible.

Word is the Broncos are willing to give up a ton of picks for Aaron Rodgers, though that deal is looking less and less likely. The names of Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins have been also thrown around, though it’s just speculation at this point.

Speaking of Cousins, before any team works a trade for the signal-caller, his salary cap number of $45 million will have to be renegotiated. There was talk the Vikings would look to move Cousins, yet word at the Combine is the veteran quarterback has an ally in newly-minted head coach Kevin O’Connell.

Where might Trubisky land for 2022?

Free agent quarterback Mitchell Trubisky is creating a lot of buzz in Indianapolis during free agency talks. I’m told teams are looking to sign Trubisky, who was a backup for Buffalo last season, with the expectation he’ll compete for a starting spot. When I asked people close to the situation to confirm my report from last week that the Pittsburgh Steelers were one of the teams targeting Trubisky, all I got was, “It would be a great fit.”

21 hours ago, spilltray said:

The eventual fallout will be bad. Either you basically gut the team or you are playing behind the 8 ball because you keep borrowing from future caps. One big miss on those deals hurt. Imagine a Cletidus Hunt situation. This is why I'd never consider extending Z. If he continues to have health issues you are double screwed.

Which is why it's a massive fail to do it and not win a ring.

It's not nearly this dire nor is it a foregone conclusion that they will be in cap hell. All they have to do to survive future cap crunches is draft well. And if you draft poorly all the cap room in the league probably isn't going to do much for you. Between cap increases and good drafts, the Packers can move on without missing a beat. No single draft choice they'll make over the next few years is bigger than the one to select a replacement for Rodgers.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spilltray said:

The eventual fallout will be bad. Either you basically gut the team or you are playing behind the 8 ball because you keep borrowing from future caps. One big miss on those deals hurt. Imagine a Cletidus Hunt situation. This is why I'd never consider extending Z. If he continues to have health issues you are double screwed.

Which is why it's a massive fail to do it and not win a ring.

Dead cap hits in a singular year and then is gone. It doesn't prorate like a signing bonus, as long as you keep drafting good players, the fallout won't be bad. I wouldn't even call it fallout. It will be similar to the post Sherman era, that "fallout" had us go 4-12, 8-8, 12-4. The Hunt situation was bad because Mike Sherman was an awful GM who didn't draft any worthwhile talent, not because we missed on a contract.

Everyone is used to seeing this thing managed a certain way because we've had elite GMs in Wolf and Thompson for the better part of 30 years, and now one in Gute trained by both. We're going to do it a little different for a few years, but as long as Gute has classes with Jaire Alexander, Rashan Gary, Elgton Jenkins, Eric Stokes types, we may need to take our medicine for a year or two, but we'll be just fine.

• Like 2

It depends how long you keep.pushing if out. I'd assume for 3 more years of Rodgers ends up pushing a ton forward each of those years. Then you can't use that money for those years so you keep pulling future money. At some point it's going to crunch.

I'm still holding out hope that the Packers will come to their senses and deal Rodgers.  I'm not sure why they are letting this guy hold them hostage this offseason.  LaFleur is almost subservient to the guy.  Grow a spine and take charge of your team, man.  You'd think that he'd want to fully implement his offense, but taking a chance of finishing with less that 13 wins seems to be too much for him to stomach.  Gute kind of seems on occasion that he'd like to jettison Rodgers, but then reels it back in and continues to play the good soldier.  I know Aaron is a hell of a player, but I would think these guys would be getting tired of waiting around for Aaron to make up his mind on whether he wants to play football or not.  Also, they have to always be wondering if they have done enough to please the guy.  For crying out loud .. Move On!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm still holding out hope that the Packers will come to their senses and deal Rodgers.  I'm not sure why they are letting this guy hold them hostage this offseason.  LaFleur is almost subservient to the guy.  Grow a spine and take charge of your team, man.  You'd think that he'd want to fully implement his offense, but taking a chance of finishing with less that 13 wins seems to be too much for him to stomach.  Gute kind of seems on occasion that he'd like to jettison Rodgers, but then reels it back in and continues to play the good soldier.  I know Aaron is a hell of a player, but I would think these guys would be getting tired of waiting around for Aaron to make up his mind on whether he wants to play football or not.  Also, they have to always be wondering if they have done enough to please the guy.  For crying out loud .. Move On!

I tend to agree, although I care a little less that his majesty is holding the team up.  I care more that it just makes complete sense to move the guy IF you can capture real treasure in return.  Why?  There is more at play here than his past results.  MVP's are meaningless. How many would he have won with the Redskins, the Lions, the Texans etc etc.  His post season results are truly beyond disappointing.  What, about 12 years since he's gotten us to the big game?  With good chances near every year since.  1-4 NFC Championship games, 0-7 in playoff games when behind at half, 0-4 vs. the 9'ers in the playoffs.  Really performing poorly last year vs the Bucs and this year as well.  But THEN the other two at play.  His age, going into his age 39 year.  He isn't getting better.  The cherry on the top of course our cap situation.  It's time to take the treasure and retool right now rather than implode and rebuild down the road.

But, the GB brass seems to feel that he needs to retire in GB.  Legacy and al that.  Along with a couple more attempts at the big game right now when it hasn't worked in over a decade when Ol Rodg was in his prime.  I think the brass is more concerned with their own skin and simply want to win now vs being asked about the past...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spilltray said:

It depends how long you keep.pushing if out. I'd assume for 3 more years of Rodgers ends up pushing a ton forward each of those years. Then you can't use that money for those years so you keep pulling future money. At some point it's going to crunch.

Not really, since it should all crunch in one year. With void years the prorated signing bonus accelerates to the year the void occurs. At that point Rodgers should have roughly up to a 40m cap hit (no way to tell until we see the restructure/extension) but the cap should be about $230-250m and we'll probably have a QB on a rookie contract. The pain will be minimal. One year max.

I’ve got a few friends blowing me up saying Davante to Vegas is a sure  thing. Then I look and it’s because he bought a house there and it might have been years ago.  Smoke season.

Edited by Refugee

11 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I’ve got a few friends blowing me up saying Davante to Vegas is a sure  thing. Then I look and it’s because he bought a house there and it might have been years ago.  Smoke season.

I mean, January through April is really the best time to be in the Mojave anyway.

13 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Apparently someone didn't think NFL media was talking about him enough because there's a whole "Scouting Combine" thing going on:

I know whenever Poochie's not on screen I'm thinking "where's Poochie?"

I can fully understand.......I mean, he's only been thinking about this since last off season.