Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse -  Za'Darius Smith, Billy Turner, Kevin King* and Chandon Sullivan won't be playing in Green Bay next season but they will count about $21.2 million in dead money on the Packers salary cap.

*King still a free agent but probably unlikely to return

The price of going for it last year…

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

What’s interesting are the WR group rated right above Gb and below. Like the bears are rated right above and I wonder why.

I didn’t realize the colts are so poor at WR too. They made it seem like it’s a Carson wentz issue, but by this one could argue it’s not like he has the best of weapons.

Also how the *beep* are the Cowboys rated higher than GB in the running back category?

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   Packers have $15M of cap space on paper. In reality they are capped out as it's earmarked for future known purposes.

They'll still get some space with a few vet moves, but most of their meaningful FA additions have likely already happened - even with Adams, MVS, Z, Turner gone.

As a comparison:

Last season the Packers approached roster cut-down day with $13M of cap space, on paper, remaining in the off season. This includes the draft & UDFAs which the $15M today does not.

They started week 1 of the regular season with $7M of real cap space.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruse -  Za'Darius Smith, Billy Turner, Kevin King* and Chandon Sullivan won't be playing in Green Bay next season but they will count about $21.2 million in dead money on the Packers salary cap.

Kevin King should have never been re-signed. He was never healthy and he clearly lost a step or two since draft day. 

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I think the Vikings should also sign Kevin King after signing Sullivan!

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -  The Packers are signing CB Keiseaon Nixon, but where he could really leave his mark is on ST, where he has 704 career snaps and played under Rich Bisaccia while with the Raiders.

Is it weird that I'm actually excited for our special teams this season? I can't remember ever being excited about it. It's a strange feeling.

7 hours ago, Green19 said:

What’s interesting are the WR group rated right above Gb and below. Like the bears are rated right above and I wonder why.

I didn’t realize the colts are so poor at WR too. They made it seem like it’s a Carson wentz issue, but by this one could argue it’s not like he has the best of weapons.

Hilton isn't on the roster and Pascal went to Philadelphia. So it's Pittman and then, I guess, Coutee?

Ross Uglem -  Here are the five picks after Green Bay's selection of Jordan Love in 2020:

Jordyn Brooks - stinks
Patrick Queen - worse than Brooks
Isaiah Wilson - out of the league
Noah Igbinoghene - yikes
Jeff Gladney - yikes

The point is not that the Packers made a good choice or that it doesn't matter that they chose Love over MPJ, Tee or AWJ. The point is the fans that obsess about their teams are just as angry, if not angrier, about what their teams did in that spot. Teams whiff all the time in round one. Gute does it less often than most.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ross Uglem -  Here are the five picks after Green Bay's selection of Jordan Love in 2020:

Jordyn Brooks - stinks
Patrick Queen - worse than Brooks
Isaiah Wilson - out of the league
Noah Igbinoghene - yikes
Jeff Gladney - yikes

The point is not that the Packers made a good choice or that it doesn't matter that they chose Love over MPJ, Tee or AWJ. The point is the fans that obsess about their teams are just as angry, if not angrier, about what their teams did in that spot. Teams whiff all the time in round one. Gute does it less often than most.

We still don't know if Jordan Love is a whiff. He's got to get a real chance to play before that can be determined. It's not looking like that shot is coming this year.