Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Packers News -  It’s worth remembering that while acquiring extra early draft picks always brings a lot of noise and hope, it usually yields mixed or ho-hum results.

Every year 31 teams don't make the super bowl.  Don't expect the best, but hope for the best and for the exceptional.  I know the stats on draft success, so I don't expect Gute to go 4-for-4.  But I admit I still hope he does, because that's the kind of flukish stuff that happens for teams that become Super Bowl winners.  Most teams who spread $20M around don't get significant value from each or many of the guys they sign with that.  But perhaps doing well with that $20M is the kind of flukish thing that happens for teams that become Super Bowl winners?  Unlikely improbable things tend to happen for Super Bowl winners.  

I don't expect the Packers to win a super bowl in the next 8 years, and I know it isn't probable either this year or beyond.  But improbable things can happen.  So I'm going to hope some improbably good stuff happens for us.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

We could trade down to get the whole board in round 7.....................40 picks - cool

I’m going to print up a bunch of green and gold “Own the 7th” shirts and head on over to Vegas. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

Ryan Wood -  Brian Gutekunst says there was no way Davante Adams' situation could end other than the trade. "Those are hard decisions and hard things to move on from. Once we got through the discussions with Davante after the season, this was what was best for Davante and the organization."

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

We could trade down to get the whole board in round 7.....................40 picks - cool

Just because I have a lot of spare time at work, I decided to check on the 7th round.  You can get starters on the OL and some spot starters at RB or DB.  And punters.  The last "star," and that is probably pretty loose use of the term, is Shelby Harris in 2014.  Washington has found a couple of OL that have played games, and Minnesota has found a couple of DL.  

For a good Packer in the 7th we have to go all the way back to Brad Jones in 2009.  

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Just because I have a lot of spare time at work, I decided to check on the 7th round.  You can get starters on the OL and some spot starters at RB or DB.  And punters.  The last "star," and that is probably pretty loose use of the term, is Shelby Harris in 2014.  Washington has found a couple of OL that have played games, and Minnesota has found a couple of DL.  

For a good Packer in the 7th we have to go all the way back to Brad Jones in 2009.  

We have Kylin Hill now. His injury bummed me out because I think he can thrive in this offense and would have had an opportunity in year one if he hadn’t gone down on a KR. 

Matt Schneidman -   Brian Gutekunst on why he traded Davante Adams after refusing to trade Aaron Rodgers last offseason:

"If we continued down the road we were, it was gonna be difficult to put the team we wanted to put around Aaron and everybody, so I think two different situations."

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Matt Schneidman -   Brian Gutekunst on why he traded Davante Adams after refusing to trade Aaron Rodgers last offseason:

"If we continued down the road we were, it was gonna be difficult to put the team we wanted to put around Aaron and everybody, so I think two different situations."

"Because one player is the reigning MVP at the game's most important position and the other is a WR."

In more words.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Refugee said:

We have Kylin Hill now. His injury bummed me out because I think he can thrive in this offense and would have had an opportunity in year one if he hadn’t gone down on a KR. 

TT also selected Clark Harris, who has been the LS for the Bengals for 13 years; and Lawrence Guy, who has had 96 starts and 146 games played, but none of them for the Packers.

Also, Jonathan Garvin >>>  Kylin Hill.   :P 

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Understood but the point I've been making (which have almost exclusively been centered around the WR position) is it's not simply good enough to get starters. We'd expect our #1 picks to start (or certainly make major contributions).

I'm saying we want dynamic players (and there's really only a few of them) - not just backups or talented supplements to Lazard - and honestly - this FO has yet to prove itself when it comes to selecting WR talent - partly because they didnt have to. Well....that time has changed.

Again, I think everyone recognizes the players need to hit and surround Rodgers and MLF with talent. 

• Like 1

PackersWire -  Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst pointed to consistency – especially as a holder – as the primary reason why the team made a change at punter this offseason.

The Packers passed on bringing back Corey Bojorquez to sign former Chicago Bears punter Pat O'Donnell. .

“Certainly, his consistency. Not only as a punter, but as a holder. His directional punting is excellent,” Gutekunst said Monday.

Gutekunst also said O’Donnell has “some familiarity” with new Packers special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia, who was hired to help fix the NFL's worst special teams group from a season ago.

Now 31, O’Donnell was the Bears punter for eight seasons. He has experience operating in cold weather and is excellent as a holder for field goals and extra points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

"Because one player is the reigning MVP at the game's most important position and the other is a WR."

In more words.

Basically. Could probably add that one is a nearly "30 year old WR" too. I don't think gutey lets a 26-27 year old Davante leave unless he really had to.