Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

50 minutes ago, Chili said:

...A common theme seems to keep cropping up. It looks we're targeting WRs from run heavy teams. Run heavy teams uses blocking WRs which produces the player profile we want, tall and fast. It's like receiving ability is actually secondary to blocking and i'm not sure I agree with that scouting approach. I would rather look for highly productive WRs with the profile we want and then teach them to block......

Interesting observation and take, Chili.  I admit I've kinda wondered whether we were too obsessed with power-forward blockers, and might benefit from some focus on pass-receivers, since obviously most of our yardage and TD's come via the air.  

I do wonder if it's maybe rightfully a little different with the UDFA crowd than a higher-drafted player?  I'd love to get a Driver or Lazard, of course.  But maybe with UDFA's I'm more looking to get back-of-the-room guys?  The kind of guy who gets called up from the practice-squad when a main guy gets hurt; he's probably not going to be intended target for a lot of passes.  But you do want to be able to continue to run your normal offense, including the blocking function.  So maybe maybe blocking capacity is more important than ever for guys striving to get onto and then get promoted up from the practice squad?  

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  We now know where the top Packers draft pick contracts will land once signed

Quay Walker - $7,246,648 signing bonus, $2,516,662 2022 cap hit

Devonte Walker - $6,533,588 signing bonus, $2,338,397 2022 cap hit

Christian Watson - $3,900,744 signing bonus, $1,680,186 2022 cap hit

13 hours ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   All true:

-Cap is a limited resource to acquire talent
-Cap Space < Talent
-Packers projected with insufficient cap to operate in season
-Packers already exercised most cap saving options, limited “banana stand moves” remain
-Packers don’t need to ditch more veterans for cap

///

Sure hope Jaire decides to stick around and sign an extension...or if he's got "highest salary" dreams and/or an alternative destination in mind.

arrested development banana stand GIF

• Like 1

13 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think King would be a nice addition to this roster.

Nixon had 100 snaps last year and Pff scored him higher than King.  Much, much higher.

We already have someone on the roster who can play at King's level and has a minimal deal.  

I don't see any real reason to have King eat up any more reps in GB.  We know what he is and is not.  It is time to be better.

I've long defended King, but even I see that this is not the athlete that we had as a rookie.  He's much slower and the anticipation skills are just not there.

Maybe he has good football left in him, but I think a change of scenery would be best for him.  

• Like 1

Bob McGinn dissects the 2022 draft class in Green Bay, in which he believes the general manager waited too long at receiver and drafted one player his predecessor never would have.......

Based on his lackluster track record, maybe it was too much to expect general manager Brian Gutekunst to work the board, fully utilize his extensive draft capital and come away from the NFL draft with a solution to the Green Bay Packers’ blatant need at wide receiver.

Instead, Gutekunst waited when he should have pounced in Round 1 and then pounced when he should have waited in Round 2.

So, after letting the prolific Davante Adams walk via the trade route and speedy Marquez Valdes-Scantling depart via free agency, the Packers not only find themselves without a No. 1 receiver but from the looks of it without even a legitimate No. 2.

In the last three days, three executives in personnel for NFL teams reviewed the Packers’ draft at length. Much of the background information also comes from interviews with GMs, personnel directors and scouts in the last two months.

There was considerable praise among scouts for some of the Packers’ selections. Certainly, Gutekunst needed a good draft, and this might be it.

Under Gutekunst, the Packers have drafted 24 players in Rounds 4-7. His best picks were Valdes-Scantling, Jon Runyan, Royce Newman and Kingsley Keke. Not one of those 24 picks has become established as a solid starter.

Gutekunst’s four-man corps of third-round picks has been a washout: Burks, Jace Sternberger, Josiah Deguara and Amari Rodgers.

His four second-round choices include Elgton Jenkins on the top-shelf side, AJ Dillon on the good side, Josh Myers on the wait-and-see side and Josh Jackson on the dismal side.

In the first round, his choice might be ranked like this: Alexander, Rashan Gary, Eric Stokes, Savage and Love.

Almost 4 ½ years since taking over for Ted Thompson, arguably four of the team’s five best players still were drafted by Thompson: Aaron Rodgers, David Bakhtiari, Kenny Clark and Aaron Jones. Alexander is Gutekunst’s only top-5 acquisition.

Gutekunst has done his best work in unrestricted free agency with the signings of Za’Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Billy Turner and Amos in his phenomenal haul from 2019, and De’Vondre Campbell in 2021. Those players, the hiring of Matt LaFleur as coach and the Rodgers-to-Adams record-setting connection has kept the Packers in contention for most of his tenure.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Bob McGinn dissects the 2022 draft class in Green Bay, in which he believes the general manager waited too long at receiver and drafted one player his predecessor never would have.......

Based on his lackluster track record, maybe it was too much to expect general manager Brian Gutekunst to work the board, fully utilize his extensive draft capital and come away from the NFL draft with a solution to the Green Bay Packers’ blatant need at wide receiver.

Instead, Gutekunst waited when he should have pounced in Round 1 and then pounced when he should have waited in Round 2.

So, after letting the prolific Davante Adams walk via the trade route and speedy Marquez Valdes-Scantling depart via free agency, the Packers not only find themselves without a No. 1 receiver but from the looks of it without even a legitimate No. 2.

In the last three days, three executives in personnel for NFL teams reviewed the Packers’ draft at length. Much of the background information also comes from interviews with GMs, personnel directors and scouts in the last two months.

There was considerable praise among scouts for some of the Packers’ selections. Certainly, Gutekunst needed a good draft, and this might be it.

Under Gutekunst, the Packers have drafted 24 players in Rounds 4-7. His best picks were Valdes-Scantling, Jon Runyan, Royce Newman and Kingsley Keke. Not one of those 24 picks has become established as a solid starter.

Gutekunst’s four-man corps of third-round picks has been a washout: Burks, Jace Sternberger, Josiah Deguara and Amari Rodgers.

His four second-round choices include Elgton Jenkins on the top-shelf side, AJ Dillon on the good side, Josh Myers on the wait-and-see side and Josh Jackson on the dismal side.

In the first round, his choice might be ranked like this: Alexander, Rashan Gary, Eric Stokes, Savage and Love.

Almost 4 ½ years since taking over for Ted Thompson, arguably four of the team’s five best players still were drafted by Thompson: Aaron Rodgers, David Bakhtiari, Kenny Clark and Aaron Jones. Alexander is Gutekunst’s only top-5 acquisition.

Gutekunst has done his best work in unrestricted free agency with the signings of Za’Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Billy Turner and Amos in his phenomenal haul from 2019, and De’Vondre Campbell in 2021. Those players, the hiring of Matt LaFleur as coach and the Rodgers-to-Adams record-setting connection has kept the Packers in contention for most of his tenure.

Used to be a McGinn fan ... used to be ... as he's now long gone from being a noted Packer article contributor.   No longer relevant in this day and age.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Used to be a McGinn fan ... used to be ... as he's now long gone from being a noted Packer article contributor.   No longer relevant in this day and age.

Yeah, he has a lot of good information, but I could do without the overall tone of the article.

59 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Yeah.....I dont come across his stuff too regularly and is seems he can be something of a hard*** - but for me, he's just one of many opinions that I use to build a composite whole.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

McGinn tries to hard to be a contrarian. Gute is one of the best drafting GMs in the league and any team would be spoiled to have the 1st and 2nd round track record that he has.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Packers playing Giants Sunday October 9th at the Spuds Stadium, London. 2.30pm local time kickoff, 8.30am for you Yanks on the East Coast.

Now let's see if I can get tickets....

Which means I’ll be up disturbing my neighbors at 5:30 here on the West Coast. Should be fun for a one off but brutal as a routine. 

What’s the weather generally  like over there in early October?  Does it tend to rain a lot or unpredictable?

Edited by Refugee

3 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

McGinn tries to hard to be a contrarian. Gute is one of the best drafting GMs in the league and any team would be spoiled to have the 1st and 2nd round track record that he has.

I appreciate the critical viewpoint however. He's certainly been around long enough to offer a qualified opinion, but I wonder if the nature of his departure from the front row of the media circles hasnt left him bitter - which is pure conjecture on my part. Might not appreciate the tone / tenor of all of it - but he's not far off on some of his criticisms. Nobody (not even Gute) hits on all their picks - especially when drafting in the upper ranks each year. On the whole - and in comparisons to many other front offices - we're in good hands.