Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Nijman, Newman, Rhyan and Tom are roster locks. That's 8, usually you only keep 9. I think they'd rather CVL or Walker battle for that last spot than an old guy like Kelly. So no I wasn't surprised. I also don't think Jenkins goes to PUP. 9 months puts him at 8/21, I think he'll be back by week 3. Tonyan and Hill I think are ready week 1.

If you're right about Jenkins then that's a different story entirely, but I'll fall out my chair with a heart attack if Jenkins doesn't start the season on PUP and miss the first 6. So, my thought was your top 7 (minus Jenkins), a possible vet OT, like we've done the last two years with Wagner/Kelly, and then Van Lanen v. Walker for the 9-spot, loser goes to the PS. When Jenkins comes back, maybe you cut the veteran player. I guess you can always wait and see how these young guys look in TC, especially the OT reps for Rhyan and Tom.   

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If you're right about Jenkins then that's a different story entirely, but I'll fall out my chair with a heart attack if Jenkins doesn't start the season on PUP and miss the first 6. So, my thought was your top 7 (minus Jenkins), a possible vet OT, like we've done the last two years with Wagner/Kelly, and then Van Lanen v. Walker for the 9-spot, loser goes to the PS. When Jenkins comes back, maybe you cut the veteran player. I guess you can always wait and see how these young guys look in TC, especially the OT reps for Rhyan and Tom.   

I just don't think we've got an appealing gig for a vet anymore when over the last 3 drafts you've taken 9 OL players. You want a team that's giving you spot #6 or 7, not 8 or 9.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I just don't think we've got an appealing gig for a vet anymore when over the last 3 drafts you've taken 9 OL players. You want a team that's giving you spot #6 or 7, not 8 or 9.

I mean, I think there would have been a very strong argument for Kelly to be our starting RT Week 1, or at least have a true battle with Nijman for the spot, but I could see him thinking that when Jenkins comes back he eventually loses that spot anyways. 

36 minutes ago, Norm said:

This doesn't sound like a scoop and more of him just knowing everyone thinks they need WRs and there are guys left so they might be interested...

For sure, but Rap is dailed into GB pretty well and I'm sure he's aware GB has kept tabs with FA WRs. Him saying they may still be in the market is something to note.

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Also think it's the realization that these guys priced themselves out of our range in their own heads, now they realize that isn't going to happen.

I think Julio is the only one with a shot. Landry plays exactly where Cobb does and OBJ you're hoping maybe by December he's back, so I think he'll sign post trade deadline. Jones has history in this offense on a staff with LaFleur in ATL, he's got the size we like, and he blocks.

Curious to see the contract he eventually signs. I'd love him here to mentor Watson. Hopefully he sees GB as a familiar offensive scheme that he thrived in and won't have to shoulder the load during the regular season. 

Julio, Watkins, Lazard, Watson, Cobb, Tonyan and AJ is a very nice receiving corps when/if healthy.

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That is where I am at with any veteran additions to the current squad.  We have drafted:  Walker, Newman, Rhyan, VanLanen, and Tom in the last two drafts, and all have tackle ability at the college level.  I believe John Runyan also played tackle at Michigan.  We also added Jahmir Johnson from A&M, who have a decent track record of producing NFL players, and the giant Caleb Jones as udfas.  If none of these guys, or Nijman can handle the spot before Jenkins returns, we can then go dust off Bulaga, or Mike Remmers, or Daryl Williams for 8-10 games before they fall apart.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/right-tackle/available/

As for WR, we have veterans.  Lazard, Cobb, and Watkins are all veterans.  Julio Jones would be great, if he came equipped with a DeLorean and Flux Capacitor.  His last two seasons were very Randall Cobb like 9 and 10 game outings, except Randall Cobb scores TDs.  They have tried to get Will Fuller in the past, so maybe they go that way again.  We also have to remember that anyone taking reps is stunting the development of Watson and Doubs.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Isn't the veteran player's salary guaranteed if they are on the roster week 1 though? I think I'd rather roll with Nijman for 6 weeks if Jenkins is on PUP. Also, he can't start practicing until week 7 so he's going to need a few weeks to get in shape. Therefore, it's likely week 9 before he returns if he starts on PUP. 

If Jenkins is close prior to camp breaking, I'd rather keep him on the active roster, rather than wait until week 9. 

10 hours ago, R T said:

As teams shape their 90-man rosters in the coming weeks we will see a number of players released that the Packers may have an interest in taking a look at. A couple of TE's released today, Matt Sokol and Farrod Green might be two of those. Sokol is that 6'6/260 blocking type they missed out on in the draft and Green is from Mississippi State which automatically puts him on the Packers radar.  

Matt Sokol HAS to go to the Vikings.  It just makes sense.  Sokol Vikings!  BRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT!!!

• Like 1

Bill Huber / SI -

WRs

In (7): Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, Amari Rodgers, Sammy Watkins, Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Samori Toure.

Out (5): Juwann Winfree, Malik Taylor, Chris Blair, Rico Gafford, Danny Davis.

Watch out for: An ankle injury ruined Blair’s chances of competing for a roster spot last summer, but the Packers thought enough of him to keep him on the practice squad for most of the season.

Early viewpoint: Watkins, the fourth pick of the 2014 draft and the lone veteran addition to a group sent reeling by the trade of Adams, isn’t a lock to make the roster. The development of the rookies will have a role in determining if Watkins is simply Devin Funchess 2.0.

OL

In (8): LT David Bakhtiari, LG Jon Runyan, C Josh Myers, RG Royce Newman, RT Yosh Nijman, T/G Sean Rhyan, OL Zach Tom, T Rasheed Walker.

Out (8): G/T Elgton Jenkins (PUP), C Jake Hanson, C Michal Menet, C Cole Schneider, G George Moore, T Jahmir Johnson, T Caleb Jones, G/T Cole Van Lanen.

Watch out for: Schneider was a four-year starter at Central Florida who did not allow a sack as a senior. Could he be Lucas Patrick 2.0 as an undrafted free agent who found a home as a versatile interior lineman?

Early viewpoint: The Packers took nine blockers into the regular season last year but the position versatility of Rhyan (at guard and tackle) and Tom (at all five positions) could allow the Packers to save a roster spot for elsewhere. Jenkins suffered a torn ACL on Nov. 21. It’s unlikely he’ll be ready for Week 1 but maybe he’ll be far enough along in his recovery to make the 53.

Edited by Leader

love is a pretty affordable back up that should perform pretty well at this point, i don't see any reason to move on from him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

the packers have put years of development into him, they don't owe it to him to let him out early for cheap. 

Leader, thanks for Huber's roster prediction. 

It's helpful, as are his "watch out for" notes for Blair and Schneider.  Didn't realize Blair had been hurt last year.

The error that Huber's roster has, I think, is defaulting late-round draft choices onto the roster. 

• He's got both Toure and Walker on his roster. 
  • It may be possible, of course, in either or both cases. I'm not suggesting it isn't.  A 7th rounder might look really impressive, and after a few weeks in camp they might say "what a steal, 3rd-round talent".  And of course it's the national injury league, so a handful of extra guys always have the next-man-up door opened. 
  • But every other team in the league also has young guys they like, draftees, UDFA, and wanting-to-graduate PS guys. 
  • So in general, unless a 7th rounder really wows in camp, I think the default is to project them for practice squad.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber / SI -

WRs

In (7): Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, Amari Rodgers, Sammy Watkins, Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, Samori Toure.

Out (5): Juwann Winfree, Malik Taylor, Chris Blair, Rico Gafford, Danny Davis.

Watch out for: An ankle injury ruined Blair’s chances of competing for a roster spot last summer, but the Packers thought enough of him to keep him on the practice squad for most of the season.

Early viewpoint: Watkins, the fourth pick of the 2014 draft and the lone veteran addition to a group sent reeling by the trade of Adams, isn’t a lock to make the roster. The development of the rookies will have a role in determining if Watkins is simply Devin Funchess 2.0.

OL

In (8): LT David Bakhtiari, LG Jon Runyan, C Josh Myers, RG Royce Newman, RT Yosh Nijman, T/G Sean Rhyan, OL Zach Tom, T Rasheed Walker.

Out (8): G/T Elgton Jenkins (PUP), C Jake Hanson, C Michal Menet, C Cole Schneider, G George Moore, T Jahmir Johnson, T Caleb Jones, G/T Cole Van Lanen.

Watch out for: Schneider was a four-year starter at Central Florida who did not allow a sack as a senior. Could he be Lucas Patrick 2.0 as an undrafted free agent who found a home as a versatile interior lineman?

Early viewpoint: The Packers took nine blockers into the regular season last year but the position versatility of Rhyan (at guard and tackle) and Tom (at all five positions) could allow the Packers to save a roster spot for elsewhere. Jenkins suffered a torn ACL on Nov. 21. It’s unlikely he’ll be ready for Week 1 but maybe he’ll be far enough along in his recovery to make the 53.

Winfree ought to be on this squad and I think we only need to carry 6 WRs. If Watkins looks bad consider carrying 5.

Watkins Watson Cobb Lazard Doubs Winfree