Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

57 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

So are we actually not gonna pick up the love option?  Are they close to a long term deal?

Deadline is may 2nd at 4 est.

My guess is GB would lie a short deal that drops the cap hit in 24 from the 5thbyear option amount

46 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

So are we actually not gonna pick up the love option?  Are they close to a long term deal?

Yeah I'm not following what the best options could be here. It's not like the Packers are going to give Love a one year audition with a quarter of the salary cap is wrapped up in dead cap hits. They're obviously giving him a 2 year minimum audition. 

I guess you could make the case that if Love struggled next year (likely), what's his open market value?$10M per year, for a year or two?

Maybe Gute is lowballing and plans on offering a 2 year extension for $25M or something like that?

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Deadline is may 2nd at 4 est.

My guess is GB would lie a short deal that drops the cap hit in 24 from the 5thbyear option amount

If you are Love you don't take a short deal. I suggested a while ago, if you believe in hm give him 5 for 150 and 75 guaranteed. Might be a bit rich, but if he hits it's a bargain for a few years before you have to redo it. 

If you wait and he plays well, you are in for close to 50 year. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Out of respect though those will be the last numbers to go this year .. might not be given out this year either.  I'm okay with bringing all three back, but as of now they would all have to work for peanuts.

They're being retired this season :)

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If you are Love you don't take a short deal. I suggested a while ago, if you believe in hm give him 5 for 150 and 75 guaranteed. Might be a bit rich, but if he hits it's a bargain for a few years before you have to redo it. 

If you wait and he plays well, you are in for close to 50 year. 

GB just had to get out of a bad QB contract.  Doubt they would offer that and risk another bad QB contract if Love flounders.

GB could do 23 as is, 24 on 5th year for around $20M, 25 on non-exclusive FT for mid $30'sM, with 26 as another FT option.

Just now, squire12 said:

GB just had to get out of a bad QB contract.  Doubt they would offer that and risk another bad QB contract if Love flounders.

GB could do 23 as is, 24 on 5th year for around $20M, 25 on non-exclusive FT for mid $30'sM, with 26 as another FT option.

2024 is projected at $38milly, 2025 will be over 40 for sure, probably closer to 45

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Risk anyway you go. If you don't pick up the 5th year and have to franchise him it's a heck of a lot more expensive. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Risk anyway you go. If you don't pick up the 5th year and have to franchise him it's a heck of a lot more expensive. 

For sure.  That's why a short/ long deal is probably being discussed before exercising the 5th year option.

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Do you think the Packers would really go this route? Given how the whole Lamar thing went, I'd argue you should really avoid the franchise tag and just get your most important player signed

9 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Do you think the Packers would really go this route? Given how the whole Lamar thing went, I'd argue you should really avoid the franchise tag and just get your most important player signed

Depends on what the other side is asking for 

Alot of money to pay someone that hasn't played. I think they pick up the 5th year. Not an ideal solution anyway you look at it. No way you sign him up multiple years without seeing him play a season. 

Edited by PackFan13