Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Packers make a move at safety. 

Owens started 17 games for the Texans last year. Had just a few starts the season before that. 

Fun fact: He's married to Simone Biles. 

Guessing there needs to be another transaction to make room for him on the roster. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Probably the end for Amos, but that's OK. Ford back, Johnson Jr drafted, Moore and Owens signed, another go for Savage...something has to stick right?

Should make for fun TC competition. I actually like Ford and thought he did an okay job back there late in the season. Made some nice plays in the passing game and was pretty solid against the run. Owens has starting experience now as well. The key is Savage being Savage again. 

• Like 1

Interested in Owens.  Glad to add somebody to that room.  

Hope he works out well, and proves to be a good player for the Packers.  His bio talks about him being honor-roll all throughout college, and pre-med.  That doesn't make him football smart or instinctive.  But I think the team could use an influx of some smart guys with good recognition and quick decision-making skills.  

Bakhti will be a very important guy.  I hope he has the pride and internal motivation to play hard and play well.  *IF* they hypothetically start fast, perhaps it might be fun for him to be a part of a winning team with arrows up.  

But an older guy with a bad knee, who's not going to practice, and maybe whose knee hurts after exercise, it could be so easy to fatten up and get lazy, too.  We'll see.  

I'm totally in the "who knows", "anything is possible" position.  It could be a winning season, a playoff season, and a really exciting season.  Or it could be a season with voluminous losses, a bad o-line, a boring offense, and a shot at the highest draft choice we've seen since A.J. 

In the National Injury League, I think the Packers have several crucial guys.  *IF* one of the key guys get injured, an area could get pretty bad pretty quickly.  

• Clark.  If Clark went down, the d-line could be super light and super vulnerable.  Run defense minus Clark could be awful.  Next-man-up heavies might be super slow.
  • Jordan.  As with any team, no QB can mean many losses.  But yeah, if Love gets an ACL in Chicago or something like that, the offense could be dreadful.
  • Watson.  He's a long and slender guy.  Lose Watson, and the receiving crowd could be pretty easy to defend.
  • Jaire.  Don't know when Stokes will come back, or how good he'll be when he does.  But Jaire goes down, I fear for the secondary.
  • Bakhti.  If Bakhti is out or playing badly, the line might be as problematic as it's been the last two seasons.  

I'm probably being Capt. Obvious here, but it seems that in Barry's defensive scheme the Safeties are an afterthought, a nonpremium position. Like for years with the ILB position under Capers and Pettine, for how many years did fans scream for ILB's in the draft during Capers and Pettines time leading the defense only to be completely ignored on draft day of any real investment of draft capital. For Barry the importance of those two positions seems to be reversed. 

Savage is a waste of capital now, that is until he was moved to the Star position late in the season last year. If Savage is to have a future in GB that might be the way. As for the investment made in the rest of that group should tell us all we need to know, a 7th round pick in Johnson, UDFA's Gaines and Sapp, street FA types like Ford, Leavitt, Moore, Wiggins and now Owens.    

13 minutes ago, craig said:

Bakhti will be a very important guy.  I hope he has the pride and internal motivation to play hard and play well.  *IF* they hypothetically start fast, perhaps it might be fun for him to be a part of a winning team with arrows up.  

But an older guy with a bad knee, who's not going to practice, and maybe whose knee hurts after exercise, it could be so easy to fatten up and get lazy, too.  We'll see.  

I'm totally in the "who knows", "anything is possible" position.  It could be a winning season, a playoff season, and a really exciting season.  Or it could be a season with voluminous losses, a bad o-line, a boring offense, and a shot at the highest draft choice we've seen since A.J. 

In the National Injury League, I think the Packers have several crucial guys.  *IF* one of the key guys get injured, an area could get pretty bad pretty quickly.  

• Clark.  If Clark went down, the d-line could be super light and super vulnerable.  Run defense minus Clark could be awful.  Next-man-up heavies might be super slow.
  • Jordan.  As with any team, no QB can mean many losses.  But yeah, if Love gets an ACL in Chicago or something like that, the offense could be dreadful.
  • Watson.  He's a long and slender guy.  Lose Watson, and the receiving crowd could be pretty easy to defend.
  • Jaire.  Don't know when Stokes will come back, or how good he'll be when he does.  But Jaire goes down, I fear for the secondary.
  • Bakhti.  If Bakhti is out or playing badly, the line might be as problematic as it's been the last two seasons.  

For all intent and purposes this is the last year of Bak's deal. He's not seeing that 20 million base salary next year and virtually no way the Packers extend him. 

If I'm him and his agent, I want an extension this year. The Packers aren't going to want to do that. Unless he's happy with the money he's made thus far in his career, I'm forcing the situation this year. 

From a financial and career standpoint it makes all the sense in the world. 

I admit I'm kinda obsessed with how the O-line does.  So much flows from that.  Is Love watching the field, or does he need to be scanning whether pressure is coming from left, right, or middle?  

Can MLF call some routes that might take some time to develop, or does everything need to be instant because the line is going to fail?  Is there time for Watson to go deep?  Is there time for Reed to do a double-move, and break free into a clearing?  Is there time for Love to scan and see routes developing?  

Can Musgrave, Kraft, or Deguara go out on routes sometimes, including as far as beyond the first-down mark?  Or no time for that?  And no freedom to send them out because they need to be protecting Bakthi or Tom or Nijman all the time?  

I just think the capacity of the OL, or the lack thereof, will be so determinative of how the offense flows.  But I have no idea whether the line will be a big liability, will be reasonably average, or might perhaps even be quite good.  How that plays out will determine so much.  

Bakhi is huge in that.  He's never been much for run-blocking, but he was still good in pass last year, when he played.  *IF* he hypothetically came back good again, and was available for most of the games, that would be huge.  It's one thing to look for the best of Nijman, Tom, and Walker for RT.  The best ONE of those guys might be not far from average, and maybe even a little better than average.  But *IF* Bakhti is out and you need TWO of those guys, the odds are pretty scary that the second best of them might be pretty much below average.  *IF* hypothetically Bakhti and Jenkins are both excellent, there's a chance to fit together the other three spots and have a composite average-or-better line.  But hard to get to that without Bakhti being both available and playing at an asset level.  

6 minutes ago, R T said:

I'm probably being Capt. Obvious here, but it seems that in Barry's defensive scheme the Safeties are an afterthought, a nonpremium position. Like for years with the ILB position under Capers and Pettine, for how many years did fans scream for ILB's in the draft during Capers and Pettines time leading the defense only to be completely ignored on draft day of any real investment of draft capital. For Barry the importance of those two positions seems to be reversed. 

Savage is a waste of capital now, that is until he was moved to the Star position late in the season last year. If Savage is to have a future in GB that might be the way. As for the investment made in the rest of that group should tell us all we need to know, a 7th round pick in Johnson, UDFA's Gaines and Sapp, street FA types like Ford, Leavitt, Moore, Wiggins and now Owens.    

How do you hide a DB in today's NFL? Doesn't work. This is Fangio's defense. He had Bethea and Reid in SF, Eddie Jackson (who's fallen off a cliff without him) and Amos, and then Justin Simmons and Kareem Jackson in Denver. Those are 6 safeties who've played a long time in the NFL at high levels too.

We're broke, that's why we have no safeties this year.