Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

15 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Was Bob Greise considered a top QB for his time?

I think I’m a lot tougher with the HOF than the general public. I think it should be reserved for elite players. I value elite seasons more than post season success and longevity . 

I just got in this conversation the other day. Guy like Mike Evans; great bulk stats and longevity . How many years was he an elite guy though? 

Mike's been pretty amazing and easily a top 10 to top 5 WR for his career in the league.

That being said, to me, he's in the HOF with 4,000 more receiving yards.  For him that could be 3 more seasons like he's had his whole career.  Maybe 4.  And these will be the tougher yards to get.  No Tom Brady and he isn't young any more.

But, that would put him right next to Harrison and Wayne around 9-11 on the all time receiving yardage list.  That with his ring should get him in.

29 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

He did win an MVP. 

Griese is probably a smidge underrated because people remember him throwing the ball like 10 times total in the Dolphins 2 SB wins

Two first team all pros and an MVP? I’m fine with him being in the hall 

44 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Two first team all pros and an MVP? I’m fine with him being in the hall 

Right.  But Stat Padford's accolades are:  Comeback Player of the year, and one Pro Bowl nomination.  He also led the league in completions once, and attempts twice.  Oh, and he also led the league in INTs, the year the Rams won the Super Bowl.  

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Right.  But Stat Padford's accolades are:  Comeback Player of the year, and one Pro Bowl nomination.  He also led the league in completions once, and attempts twice.  Oh, and he also led the league in INTs, the year the Rams won the Super Bowl.  

If I led the world in attempts to make it to the moon, would I be a top astronaut?

Why are you bringing up pass attempts as some sort of accolade?

16 minutes ago, MacReady said:

If I led the world in attempts to make it to the moon, would I be a top astronaut?

Why are you bringing up pass attempts as some sort of accolade?

I am not.  I am merely listing the statistics that he has led the league in, since his career started.  That is his HOF resume.  Leading in attempts twice, completions once, and INTs once.  He also made the Pro Bowl, one time.  He is in no way a HOF QB, but he will eventually get in based on volume stats.  He is 11th all time in yards.  And 12th all time in TD passes.  But he is closer to 10th in his era than 10th of all time.

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am not.  I am merely listing the statistics that he has led the league in, since his career started.  That is his HOF resume.  Leading in attempts twice, completions once, and INTs once.  He also made the Pro Bowl, one time.  He is in no way a HOF QB, but he will eventually get in based on volume stats.  He is 11th all time in yards.  And 12th all time in TD passes.  But he is closer to 10th in his era than 10th of all time.

I don’t even care about the argument, I just hated it when people used attempts as some sort of measuring point. If anything, attempts should be held against people, not for them. There are people out there who consider it a good thing because they’re dumb and don’t know how to think.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:12 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

He did win an MVP. 

Griese is probably a smidge underrated because people remember him throwing the ball like 10 times total in the Dolphins 2 SB wins

He shouldn't be underrated because in his day, along with when Starr played, teams ran the ball much more than they do today.  Players from past eras should be judged on how the game was played back then and not how football is today.

On 7/6/2023 at 9:45 AM, Leader said:

Should BAK be considered for the HOF?

Future Hall of Famer's don't make excuses about why their team is going to fail before the season even starts. He might want to listen to Aaron Jones and Elgton Jenkins to see how true team leaders lead like HOF level teammates.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, R T said:

Future Hall of Famer's don't make excuses about why their team is going to fail before the season even starts. He might want to listen to Aaron Jones and Elgton Jenkins to see how true team leaders lead like HOF level teammates.   

sure they do, thankfully ya don't have to suck up to the team in order to receive this honor, Bakhtiari has been a top tackle in the era he played in, so he does deserve consideration to go to the HOF and should have made that list imho.

30 minutes ago, turf toe said:

sure they do, thankfully ya don't have to suck up to the team in order to receive this honor, Bakhtiari has been a top tackle in the era he played in, so he does deserve consideration to go to the HOF and should have made that list imho.

Initially I scoffed at the notion of Bakh being a HOF tackle.  

But...after looking at his awards....3 Pro Bowls, meh.  3 All Pro Second Team, okay, looking good.  2 First Team all Pro, looking even better.  10 years playing.

It is a very impressive resume.  Obviously a ring would help him, but I think if he plays for 3 more years and gets on some more first or second team All Pro Teams, he would have a chance.

35 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Initially I scoffed at the notion of Bakh being a HOF tackle.  

But...after looking at his awards....3 Pro Bowls, meh.  3 All Pro Second Team, okay, looking good.  2 First Team all Pro, looking even better.  10 years playing.

It is a very impressive resume.  Obviously a ring would help him, but I think if he plays for 3 more years and gets on some more first or second team All Pro Teams, he would have a chance.

Use the Terrell Davis standard. During a stretch of 6-7 years, nobody did it better than Bakh. Should he return to that form this year, he should be a lock.

Edited by Old Guy

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Use the Terrell Davis standard. During a stretch of 6-7 years, nobody did it better than Bakh. Should he return to that form this year, he should be a lock.

Davis should never have been voted in. Post playing career he played it perfectly though, became part of the media and befriended many of those that were voters. We have seen this happen a number of times with the NFL and their HOF. 

46 minutes ago, R T said:

Davis should never have been voted in. Post playing career he played it perfectly though, became part of the media and befriended many of those that were voters. We have seen this happen a number of times with the NFL and their HOF. 

I do not disagree with any of this.

If Bakh returns to all-pro playing levels this year, I think he's close. Probably needs two more years at all-pro level. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1