Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Yeah but his qoute was that the entire video was blown coverages. I counted two. I'm not saying he's going to be a Finley caliber TE.  Was impressed with his hands and he looks like he can separate. Will that continue in the pros?  We'll see. But I can see why Gute liked him enough to bring him in for a pre draft visit.

I hope you are right but the tape I watched he separated because the DB's were caught peaking in the backfield and lost him. 

5 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

To me, the source is Taylor's agent, who mentions GB because he knows GB would never confirm/deny trade rumors.  Thing happens all the time in FA.

I doubt GB was involved in the discussion.

They probably inquired about him and didn't get far.

*He'll want big money

*You have to give up pick(s)

*He was injured last year and still isn't ready.

It doesn't sound like a Gute acquisition, but might be something they look at again in October with Jones and Dillons contract situation? 

My assumption is that Sims was heavily used as a blocker, which the Packers will want.  And that he's willing, even if young and hardly Mercedes-esque. 

Some TE's are primary targets, but I kinda think a lot of TE catches happen when defenses are interested in good receivers.  

Do your blocking and remember your role.  And on the occasion where there's a blown coverage and you're open, catch what comes your way.  

He's another young guy, welcome to the youth rebuild.  There's a role from scrimmage for a blocking TE, so I'm happy to take a chance in place of a ST-only guy.  

I'd be puzzled if Gute was seriously in on Taylor. Probably had a quick conversation. Nothing wrong with inquiring. 

We're pretty set on defense and the OL. Maybe they draft one higher next season instead of waiting until day 3.

I don't follow the college game as close as most of you but I'm curious about the 24 RB prospects.

I know Gute won't do it, but will there possibly be any RB prospects in the 24 class that may tempt him to pull the trigger day one or two?

40 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'd be puzzled if Gute was seriously in on Taylor. Probably had a quick conversation. Nothing wrong with inquiring. We're pretty set on defense and the OL. Maybe they draft one higher next season instead of waiting until day 3. I don't follow the college game as close as most of you but I'm curious about the 24 RB prospects. I know Gute won't do it, but will there possibly be any RB prospects in the 24 class that may tempt him to pull the trigger day one or two?

Probably just getting the parameters of Indy's ask....if only as a starting point for any future conversations about the guy.....and to talk shop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Norm said:

It's like all blown coverage?

If he would have just been smart, timed his blown coverages better, and had them in national championship games he could have milked it into being a FRP and $20 million despitebeing a bum.

*cough* OJ Howard *cough*

• Like 1

Looking at the makeup of the Packers roster it is completely different to when Gute took over. I know that's normal but it's still quite jarring to see the difference. I've gotten so used to seeing Cobb, Crosby and Rodgers names on the roster and they're all suddenly gone. None of our 2010 superbowl winning team remains.

Very few TT holdovers left, Aaron Jones, Bakthiari, Clark. They are all that remains from the 2017 Roster. Very soon Clark will be the last man standing from the TT era and he will still only be 28 if Jones and Bakhtiari are gone next year so hopefully TT's fingerprint on the roster will still remain for for another 3-4 years before that era is officially consigned to history.

When Gute took over his very first draft pick was a trade up for Jaire Alexander. Not a bad start for his very first pick! Not quite TT Aaron Rodgers good though.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Looking at the makeup of the Packers roster it is completely different to when Gute took over. I know that's normal but it's still quite jarring to see the difference. I've gotten so used to seeing Cobb, Crosby and Rodgers names on the roster and they're all suddenly gone. None of our 2010 superbowl winning team remains.

Very few TT holdovers left, Aaron Jones, Bakthiari, Clark. They are all that remains from the 2017 Roster. Very soon Clark will be the last man standing from the TT era and he will still only be 28 if Jones and Bakhtiari are gone next year so hopefully TT's fingerprint on the roster will still remain for for another 3-4 years before that era is officially consigned to history.

When Gute took over his very first draft pick was a trade up for Jaire Alexander. Not a bad start for his very first pick! Not quite TT Aaron Rodgers good though.

Minor technicality but I thought he traded down for Jaire so the Saints could draft Davenport and we got an additional FRP. 

EDIT: I forgot we traded up with Seattle after making the trade with the Saints. We got the better of that trade too. Seattle took Rashad Penny where we sat at 27. 

Edited by Old Guy