Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

14 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

First we learn that Bahk's knee is so bad that he can't practice, but don't worry. He doesn't need to practice. Now we learn that his knee is so bad that he can't play either, well maybe a few games, so long as there's plenty of "rest games" in between so his knee can recover. As much as I like Bahk, it's time to negotiate an injury settlement and release him with an injury designation. His knee isn't ever going to get any better. More likely it's going to degenerate over time. This is a rebuilding year. Let's see what Walker can do. By next April's draft we need to know if Walker is capable.

I suspect Bak's time off will give us plenty of time to assess Walker.

40 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

First we learn that Bahk's knee is so bad that he can't practice, but don't worry. He doesn't need to practice. Now we learn that his knee is so bad that he can't play either, well maybe a few games, so long as there's plenty of "rest games" in between so his knee can recover. As much as I like Bahk, it's time to negotiate an injury settlement and release him with an injury designation. His knee isn't ever going to get any better. More likely it's going to degenerate over time. This is a rebuilding year. Let's see what Walker can do. By next April's draft we need to know if Walker is capable.

What's the advantage of cutting him vs letting the young guys get reps when he can't go?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What's the advantage of cutting him vs letting the young guys get reps when he can't go?

Cutting him saves significant cap money next year.  However, I think Bak's a good guy who would certainly work with our young offensive tackles teaching them the tricks to the trade this year.  So if we can afford him use him when available and mentor the young guys.  Can't hurt.

58 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

What is Bak's vested interest in negotiating any settlement? He's a vested vet and his salary for this year is now 100% guaranteed. The likelihood is he will be released this off season. We are not going to keep him with his 40-million-dollar cap hit next year. 

The only option would have been a trade after June 1st, but given what we know, he probably couldn't have passed anyone's physical. 

It is what it is. We now know it was not due to his not wanting to play on turf. We also know he's sadly going to have to deal with this knee for the rest of his life. The guy has given us everything he has. If he wants to gut it out this year, we'll take what he can give us. 

Next stop after that is the Packer HOF. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We also know he's sadly going to have to deal with this knee for the rest of his life.

Does anybody know what he's dealing with on an everyday basis? Perhaps it's not so much when he's not playing football. Regardless, I suspect there's knee replacement surgery in his future.

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

Cutting him saves significant cap money next year.  However, I think Bak's a good guy who would certainly work with our young offensive tackles teaching them the tricks to the trade this year.  So if we can afford him use him when available and mentor the young guys.  Can't hurt.

How much money does cutting him today save vs after the season?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

How much money does cutting him today save vs after the season?

Cutting him today is a net zero savings, a believe. His base salary (which would be the only salary left to earn in 2023) is $1.2M, which i think is fully guaranteed as a veteran. Even if it's not guaranteed, the savings would be $1.2M, so basically nothing.

Cutting him after the season saves the 2024 base salary ($10.7M) and 2024 roster bonus ($9.5M).

Safe to say he's staying put this year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Cutting him today is a net zero savings, a believe. His base salary (which would be the only salary left to earn in 2023) is $1.2M, which i think is fully guaranteed as a veteran. Even if it's not guaranteed, the savings would be $1.2M, so basically nothing.

Cutting him after the season saves the 2024 base salary ($10.7M) and 2024 roster bonus ($9.5M).

Safe to say he's staying put this year.  

Oh, well, never mind then.