Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

41 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I want to see Myers put on the bench .. he's a major disappointment.  Put Tom in there at center and watch him thrive.  I also think Runyon is playing like garbage.  He needs someone to challenge for his job as well.  Is it Rhyan time?  Could be ugly, but it's already ugly.  Nijman and Walker at LT and RT .. let the coaches figure out who fits best.  All told it's ugly, but I think Myers and Runyon shouldn't be locked in at their current spots.  Let's go nuts. 

Okay fine. But then we have to start Sean Clifford because we're not playing Love behind a boredom experiment 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I want to see Myers put on the bench .. he's a major disappointment.  Put Tom in there at center and watch him thrive.  I also think Runyon is playing like garbage.  He needs someone to challenge for his job as well.  Is it Rhyan time?  Could be ugly, but it's already ugly.  Nijman and Walker at LT and RT .. let the coaches figure out who fits best.  All told it's ugly, but I think Myers and Runyon shouldn't be locked in at their current spots.  Let's go nuts. 

Put toms lack of anchor at center. should look so much better there. Pay no mind to Walker still being the biggest weakness on the line.  

Yeah, I don't see any problems with that config you're pining for.

I saw where Herman said "replace Myers because he's inconsistent. at least we know Newmans bad, you can scheme around that" You know who that guy being schemed to help that weak link? ******* Myers. Lets just all beat our heads against the wall because we took Myers instead of Creed. Myers needs competition. It's not on the roster right now..

• Like 3

"In 2008, Aaron Rodgers stepped into the Green Bay Packers’ starting lineup with Donald Driver and Greg Jennings as stud receivers. Driver was coming off his fourth consecutive 1,000-yard season and his second consecutive Pro Bowl. Jennings was coming off a second season of 920 yards and 12 touchdowns in just 13 games.

Jordan Love stepped into the starting lineup this year with nothing but potential and projection. On the depth chart to start training camp, the Packers had as many receivers who’d caught passes in a regular-season game (three) as rookie draft picks. Combined, Romeo Doubs (42 catches), Christian Watson (41) and Samori Toure (five) had caught 88 passes. Jennings had 98 in his first two seasons. Driver had 92 by himself in 2006"

"But this year isn’t about this year. I know that might be a strange sentence to read, but it’s obviously true based on how this team was built. Gutekunst didn’t give Love a veteran receiver. Heck, he didn’t even re-sign tight end Marcedes Lewis, who wouldn’t have taken any passing-game reps away from Luke Musgrave but would have provided mentorship and leadership to the youngest perimeter group in the league.

This year is about next year and the following years. Again, open-minded people can agree or disagree with the logic, but Gutekunst, after going all-in to win with Rodgers, has gone all-in on building for the future"

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

Joe Barry M O  pass rush and prevent secondary, I like the first part, not so much the second.

at full strength we got guys that can get after the QB, now if they could just limit the run and play tighter coverage this could be a top 10 unit.

thanks for sharing.

Edited by turf toe

It's been mentioned before, but a big problem with Barry's scheme is that it is built from a foundation that expects the opposing team to be primarily in passing mode.  The primary reason Barry's scheme is so bad at stopping the run is that it's not really designed to stop it.

• Like 3

Well, I think we know the OL is poor and not playing up to their limited talent on top of that.  This is the primary reason for the bad running game and part of the reason for the bad passing game.

Meyers isn't good but he's not much worse than anyone else out there right now - Jenkins is good but never stays healthy.  Tom is OK but a little overrated as an OT methinks.

Walker is a joke of a player and playing a lot at the most important spot.  It's time to move Tom there and keep him there rest of the season and pray that it works out.  

Runyan is whatever- he's never been THAT good, and with worse play all around him he looks like a 6th round OL again.  But I wouldn't mess with that because he's reliably below average which is better than unreliably slightly above average.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2023 at 7:46 AM, Mazrimiv said:

It's been mentioned before, but a big problem with Barry's scheme is that it is built from a foundation that expects the opposing team to be primarily in passing mode.  The primary reason Barry's scheme is so bad at stopping the run is that it's not really designed to stop it.

And that philosophy is a big part of the problem with his scheme. It is far easier to win a game if you win the line of scrimmage. That applies to both the run and the pass. Barry's scheme results in us losing at the line of scrimmage way to often. To further support this point, not only to we concede rushing yards up the middle, but we also concede yards on the outside as our cornerbacks play 7-10 yards deep and neither of our starting cornerbacks are known for aggressively coming up and playing the run physically. So once we plug one hole against the running game...let's say up the middle, they just change their approach and run outside. Good demonstration of this was the Atlanta game. When we played two defensive tackles, they ran between the tackles, when we played three defensive lineman, the ran outside against our soft cornerbacks.

When we have someone in a 3rd and long where a pass is more often required, we do put on a good pass rush...frankly better than most teams. But we cannot get them there as they make sufficient yards on 1st and 2nd down to make 3rd down manageable.  It seems also like most teams convert their 4th down tries against us as most of those are less than 4 yards to go.

San Francisco, the New York Jets and Cleveland are winning defensively at the line of scrimmage whether against the run or against the pass. We seem to concede one or the other at the line of scrimmage.