Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

That was generous (stupid) of the Vikings to give a guy who can't stay healthy 11 million for 1 year. The guy didn't prove he was that good when he was on the field, which was seldom in 4 years with the Saints. 

Pass rushers always get overpaid compared to what their value is, and Davenport is no different.  He averaged just under 13 GP with New Orleans, so he's pretty much a lock to miss 3-4 games a year.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Pass rushers always get overpaid compared to what their value is, and Davenport is no different.  He averaged just under 13 GP with New Orleans, so he's pretty much a lock to miss 3-4 games a year.

We was also pretty much a lock to have very little impact as a pass rusher. He had 1/2 sack last year in 15 games. In 2021 he had himself a Kyler Fackrell where he got 9. He was never a good pass rusher in NOLA. He wound up with sacks because he was on very good defenses who could pressure the QB and quarterbacks ran into him.

I'm sticking with a really dumb decision to pay him. Not hindsight, I laughed my *** off when I heard the Vikings paid him 10+ million for one year. 

• Like 1

Just now, Old Guy said:

We was also pretty much a lock to have very little impact as a pass rusher. He had 1/2 sack last year in 15 games. In 2021 he had himself a Kyler Fackrell where he got 9. He was never a good pass rusher in NOLA. He wound up with sacks because he was on very good defenses who could pressure the QB and quarterbacks ran into him.

I'm sticking with a really dumb decision to pay him. Not hindsight, I laughed my *** off when I heard the Vikings paid him 10+ million for one year. 

Go look at the pass rusher FA market.  It's beyond overpaid.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Go look at the pass rusher FA market.  It's beyond overpaid.

Does that make overpaying for them smart? Does it make it even smarter when you are overpaying for a guy who can't stay on the field and isn't really a good pass rusher to begin with? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Pretty disappointed this guy didn't donate his hammys.  Be a team player dude.

I'm not counting on it but if Robinson (only 25) somehow developed back into a solid/good RB that could be cheap for 2024 it would be nice to have another roster spot we didnt' have to fill in the draft/Agency. I hope jones is back but he'll need to take a hometown discount to be back and will be 29.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm not counting on it but if Robinson (only 25) somehow developed back into a solid/good RB that could be cheap for 2024 it would be nice to have another roster spot we didnt' have to fill in the draft/Agency. I hope nes is back but he'll need to take a hometown discount to be back and will be 29.

Looks like a replacement to Taylor to me. Sturdy, solid all around back without much wow to the game. Bounces off tackles pretty well I guess.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Looks like a replacement to Taylor to me. Sturdy, solid all around back without much wow to the game. Bounces off tackles pretty well I guess.

I’m not saying Robinson ever get back there but Taylor was nowhere near Robinson before the injury. He had like 1,800 yards and 15 TDs in his first two seasons. If you go watch him back Then there was much more wow in His game than a patrick taylor

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m not saying Robinson ever get back there but Taylor was nowhere near Robinson before the injury. He had like 1,800 yards and 15 TDs in his first two seasons. If you go watch him back Then there was much more wow in His game than a patrick taylor

I watched his greatest hits. I think his write up would look pretty similar to Taylor's everything considered.

Sees it well. Does everything at an acceptable level. Doesn't have homerun speed.  Isn't super explosive. One cut and go type back. Makes the most of his carries.

Think Robinson has better balance through contact and gets skinny through traffic a bit better. 

Personally I'm with you Robinson>Taylor at their game. I think Robinson could maybe push Dillon right now where Taylor just really wasn't a threat. But if Dillon regains form I'd go that route still.

I don't think his appearance on the roster will ever effect Jones' considerstions at all. Think you'd want to add talent to the room even if he flashed pre achilles play.

Edited by HighCalebR

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Does that make overpaying for them smart? Does it make it even smarter when you are overpaying for a guy who can't stay on the field and isn't really a good pass rusher to begin with? 

No.  It's the reason why I've always said that there is no such thing as too many pass rushers on a roster.

• Like 1

In the little Wicks clip, the comment is that he's good at getting open.  Getting open, to me, always seems to be invaluable.  

Dumb football question from a naive fan:  How priority is it for receivers to get open, versus run a planned route that isn't open, or is less open? 

For example, earlier in season I read comments that Musgrave was wide open, but "wasn't running the route quite right..."  In the specific context, posters thought he was intended to run down the hashes, but since that was less open he adapted off a bit towards more open space.  

1.  So, I'm asking whether it's OK or good for a receiver to respond to actual defenders and try to get open?  Or is the responsibility to try to run right to some spot MLF had play-designed on the whiteboard; even if the defense doesn't defend it as MLF had expected, and the whiteboard spot is well covered?  

2.  How much improv and response should the QB have?  Just look for the pre-planned whiteboard spot, even if it's covered?  Or look for a guy that's open, even if variably off from the whiteboard spot?  

In the case of Wicks, I'm kinda wondering if he's getting open because he's prioritizing doing so, at the expense of the whiteboard spot?  

I'm kinda guessing young Brett Favre had a lot of improv and was not a whiteboard-spot QB?    

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No.  It's the reason why I've always said that there is no such thing as too many pass rushers on a roster.

100%. Try and get one every draft no matter how many you have. IF you wind up with too many you can always fleece somebody in a trade. 

18 minutes ago, craig said:

In the little Wicks clip, the comment is that he's good at getting open.  Getting open, to me, always seems to be invaluable.  

Dumb football question from a naive fan:  How priority is it for receivers to get open, versus run a planned route that isn't open, or is less open? 

For example, earlier in season I read comments that Musgrave was wide open, but "wasn't running the route quite right..."  In the specific context, posters thought he was intended to run down the hashes, but since that was less open he adapted off a bit towards more open space.  

1.  So, I'm asking whether it's OK or good for a receiver to respond to actual defenders and try to get open?  Or is the responsibility to try to run right to some spot MLF had play-designed on the whiteboard; even if the defense doesn't defend it as MLF had expected, and the whiteboard spot is well covered?  

2.  How much improv and response should the QB have?  Just look for the pre-planned whiteboard spot, even if it's covered?  Or look for a guy that's open, even if variably off from the whiteboard spot?  

In the case of Wicks, I'm kinda wondering if he's getting open because he's prioritizing doing so, at the expense of the whiteboard spot?  

I'm kinda guessing young Brett Favre had a lot of improv and was not a whiteboard-spot QB?    

There is much fanfare on how Kelce will “freestyle” and find all of the soft spots in the defense. It works because of the bond he has with Mahomes and both of them are good enough to have their coach’s trust. I’m sure it can still be frustrating for the other players.  It’s such a scripted sport, with the ball and the play reset with every possession.

In general, if a player is not staying true to the concept of the play, it can really gum up what everyone else is trying to do. Of course things break down or don’t go as planned and that is when improving is necessary but you probably want to see as little of that as possible with a young team. In the end, it’s “right” if it works for the QB and the QB is good enough to keep the ball moving. 

• Like 1