Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

The fact that they doubled down on Rodgers and gave him the bag instead of shipping him off for a bounty of pick might possibly set this organization back a decade.  

Right. That's part of it too. You ran into a situation where the GM and Rodgers (who views himself as the player GM in this scenario) butted heads on how to run the team, Love was drafted, Rodgers got pissed, demanded a king's ransom and Gute gave in and then probably kept him too long. Both sides committed to a position and then wavered on it, resulting in the overall demise of the entire situation. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The fact that they doubled down on Rodgers and gave him the bag instead of shipping him off for a bounty of picks might possibly set this organization back a decade.  

There's nothing you can do to set an NFL franchise back a decade. Talk about overdramatic, sheesh....

• Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

Which would you prefer?

Unless the Packers are committed to going with a new QB who they draft in the top 5, I want 9-8. I want to see progress by Love and the offense so I can get excited about next year and the prospect of having some additional cap space for Gute to add to this shell of a team. 

The last thing anyone should want is a 3-14 season with Love's play staying about the same (or continuing to decline in some respects) but then the Packers saying "he's our guy next season." 

• Like 2

Man sometimes Gute just can't win 

1) Ride Rodgers into the sunset, get fired for not having a succession plan.

2) Ride Rodgers into the sunset, also get fired for not helping Rodgers enough while he is still here.

3) Ride Rodgers into the sunset, get fired for sticking with an aging QB who's skills are eroding (like they were in 2019)

4) Draft Love, get fired for not using that pick to help Rodgers 

5) Draft Love, Rodgers plays much better out of spite, fire Gute for not going all in enough to finish Rodgers tenure

6) Draft Love, Rodgers plays much better out of spite, fire Gute for going too far in and paying Rodgers to make one last run

7) Draft Love, Rodgers plays much better out of spite, fire Gute for not trading an MVP QB early enough

8 )  Draft Love, Packers come up short in two playoff runs after going All In, fire Gute for not having any salary cap to help out the new QB

I guess, in a perfect world, Gute should have drafted Tee Higgins with the Love pick, and then used the AJ Dillon and Josiah Degura picks to trade up and take Jalen Hurts. Then after two straight Super Bowl victories, ship Rodgers off for the Russell Wilson deal and bring in Jalen Hurts. Then take the Broncos picks and draft Charles Cross and Devon Witherspoon. We'd literally be the best team in the league. I can't believe Gute couldn't pull off this obvious best case scenario.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's nothing you can do to set an NFL franchise back a decade. Talk about overdramatic, sheesh....

I think folks are still thinking of the NFL in 70s/80s/90s terms, which is wild because it's 2023.

With a ton of cap space and good drafting, you can right the ship real quick.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Leader said:

Which would you prefer?

9-8 for me easily. It means we are improving and have a bright future with our young core. If we continue to lose at the rate we are, it means we aren't showing progress and future looks less bright.

4 minutes ago, Eternal said:

9-8 for me easily. It means we are improving and have a bright future with our young core. If we continue to lose at the rate we are, it means we aren't showing progress and future looks less bright.

The team could continue to show improvement with a losing record if the offense moves to even above average and the defense starts giving up tons of points. So there are some paths to leave hope for the future, especially if Joe Barry is what's really holding the D back.

8 minutes ago, Striker said:

The team could continue to show improvement with a losing record if the offense moves to even above average and the defense starts giving up tons of points. So there are some paths to leave hope for the future, especially if Joe Barry is what's really holding the D back.

I guess it could be exciting to lose a bunch of games with scores being close in the high 40s. Something like 45-40 average each game. It means our offense is clicking and we would be one step closer to getting rid of Barry, finally.

30 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I can't believe Gute couldn't pull off this obvious best case scenario.

Problem is that Gute didn't pull off any positive scenario.  We didn't win with Rodgers, and now that he is gone, we are flat out a bad team on both sides of the ball.   We have consistently had huge holes in our roster under his guidance.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Cage match!

Who's calling plays if LaFleur gives up playing calling, Steno?  LaFleur just needs to open it up and move the ball down the field.  The run,run, pass crap isn't going to fly with this Oline.  Hell, I watched Getsy get 30 points out of a first time starting rookie QB in a horizontal passing game, coupled with the run game.  If those clowns can do it, we should be able to do it.  

21 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Problem is that Gute didn't pull off any positive scenario.  We didn't win with Rodgers, and now that he is gone, we are flat out a bad team on both sides of the ball.   We have consistently had huge holes in our roster under his guidance.

Yeah but that's my exact point. There were about 8 ways Gute could have gotten things wrong and only 1 where things go right. At a certain point, I've just accepted that Gute wasn't going to pull this off flawlessly, so you have to lower expectations a bit.

As far as the huge holes on the roster, I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is just dang hard to manage a roster when you never pick in the top 10 and pick 20th-30th in 80% of your drafts. If you believe draft value charts, you're literally playing with half the capital that other teams are playing with.

Edited by pgwingman
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

This just isn't true. Either the 2020 or '21 teams were good enough to win it all. Rodgers, himself, wasn't good enough to cross the finish line. 

• Like 4