Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I'm probably selectively mis-remembering.  But so often it seems like if we have a good passing play to get a 1st down, that the ensuing 1st down is then predictably a run play for 1 yard.  Seems to me it might be nice if pass is working and their defense is starting to get discombobulated, that stacking some more pass attempts might be really good.  Like, play it more often like 2-minute drill, only without the desparation interceptions.  

18 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is the Bakhtiari contract one of the worst of all time? And I am not counting rookie contracts on busts, like eleventy bajillion to JaWalrus Russell. 

It is just horrible luck.  LeCharles Bentley was very similar. 

At the time of the contract it made tons of sense.  He had no injury history and was playing at an All-Pro level.  Yup, just horrible luck for both him and us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Chargers also have the worst passing defense in the league by a long shot.  They average 291.2 yards per game given up.  The second worst team is the Buccaneers, at 266.9.  That is a full explosive play more than the second worst team.  

Packers, for comparison, are the 7th best, with 187.6 ypg.  Of course, we are a total sieve against the run, but the Chargers' pass defense is really bad.  

The Bolts are a top 10 team as far as rushing goes so I have a feeling we'll be yielding big time yards again this week.  😟

1 hour ago, craig said:

I'm probably selectively mis-remembering.  But so often it seems like if we have a good passing play to get a 1st down, that the ensuing 1st down is then predictably a run play for 1 yard.  Seems to me it might be nice if pass is working and their defense is starting to get discombobulated, that stacking some more pass attempts might be really good.  Like, play it more often like 2-minute drill, only without the desparation interceptions.  

I'd like our receivers to run routes that are beyond the line to gain, especially on 3rd down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I wonder if we will hear if Michael Carter gets claimed today?  I suspect he will be an early claim .. hoping it's the Packers.

I was thinking the same. He'd be under contract next year as well.

No room in the Jets backfield for him with Hall and Cook. 

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Admittedly I don't have some of the stats needed, but 28th seems a bit extreme.  Carlson has been pretty good for a rookie who is still recovering from injury.  Orzech hasn't had any issues that I can recall, which is what you'd want.  Whelan has clearly been a weak link, and probably someone we're looking to replace next offseason.  I feel like our PR and KR have been both below-average, but not miserable.

I assume the non-stop penalties have been the biggest factor.  The blocking breakdown's and (until recently) nonexistent returns haven't helped either.

Bill Huber -   Aaron Rodgers kept throwing the ball to Davante Adams in 2015 because he saw a special talent. The #Packers stuck with him, even with alleged questions about him making the team in 2016. It should be the same approach with Christian Watson in 2023.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The difference is Joe Johnson and Albert Haynesworth literally quit trying once they got paid. Joe Johnson was pretty open about how he didn't give a **** any longer. 

Also, given QB's contracts, Watson likely won't be in this discussion in another year or two. 

EDIT: And I didn't see the headlines this morning before responding. I still think he's going to be a respectable QB going forward. However, the compensation they gave up plus the contract, pretty stupid. 

I hadn't seen the injury news either, but the big thing is breaking the mold and going fully gauranteed. He had been held out 2021, then 11 games last year. Looked mediocre at best last year and this year, great now 2/4 years are over. He's given them basically nothing even when he has played and going into year 3 recovering from an injury to his throwing shoulder. I don't have any faith he's going to be respectable and with that trade and deal it's a bust for the browns unless he is elite.

Sure Bakh got a nice deal and then destroyed his knee, but it wasn't a literal market breaking deal on top of a blockbuster trade.