Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, turf toe said:

what coaches has Lafleur fired, it took him two years to finally fire the ST's cord, and obviously Jerry Gray was scape goated rather then firing the real problem with the defense, and it's been reported that Lafleur over ruled and called 2 high man when Stokes was torched for that TD to end the PO game in 2020 over Pettine, Lafleur does a good job on offense, but lousy when it comes to defense, and Keeping Barry after last year is also a firing offense, not only do I doubt Alexander ever plays for Barry again, and he obviously has lost all respect for Matt Lafleur, why would Gute retain him

Pettine and Mennenga.

Its been 5 years. How many coaches do you expect to be fired in a so far successful tenure?

The contract is a fairly large hurdle to "not retain" Jaire. Get a new DC, he'll come around.

5 minutes ago, turf toe said:

what coaches has Lafleur fired, it took him two years to finally fire the ST's cord, and obviously Jerry Gray was scape goated rather then firing the real problem with the defense, and it's been reported that Lafleur over ruled and called 2 high man when Stokes was torched for that TD to end the PO game in 2020 over Pettine, Lafleur does a good job on offense, but lousy when it comes to defense, and Keeping Barry after last year is also a firing offense, not only do I doubt Alexander ever plays for Barry again, and he obviously has lost all respect for Matt Lafleur, why would Gute retain him

Gute will retain MLF.  He's earned much good will from the organization.  No doubt #12 helped a lot with that.

IMO...he's also earned it with the development of Love and the play of the offense this year.

Defensively, though, MLF has a lot of shortcomings, especially concerning staffing.  And that has now bled over to a player or two.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You know next to nothing about what did or did not happen in New England.  Neither do I.

And again, I could care less what any other club does.  I care about the Packers and our HC screwed up last year concerning Barry and it is continuing to bite him in the butt.  

But we do know that Patricia was retained the duration of the season, do we not?

I absolutely agree that we shouldn't have come into this season with Barry; you can go back and see I was full go for Wink while he was available. We did, however, and LaFleur is far from the first HC to go down with the ship with a Coordinator for a season. Making changes midseason isn't a predictor for success that same postseason.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

But we do know that Patricia was retained the duration of the season, do we not?

I absolutely agree that we shouldn't have come into this season with Barry; you can go back and see I was full go for Wink while he was available. We did, however, and LaFleur is far from the first HC to go down with the ship with a Coordinator for a season. Making changes midseason isn't a predictor for success that same postseason.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you this, but I don't care what any other team does.  I do not follow other teams very closely at all.  I cannot tell you anything about Patricia.  And I'm being serious about that.  I have no knowledge of what he used to do in New England, what he does now, or if he is even in New England any more.

About the only thing I recall about that guy is a bad beard.

As far as MLF and JB goes...I'll stand this this.  I don't know if you were for or against Barry coming back.  I know that I was fine with it as he showed enough variation last year to feel like that could spill over into this season.  And it did not.

A change should have been made a week or two ago.

But we sit here now and we suspended a player for conduct detrimental to the team.  And we have a DC who is continues to be dog **** bad and we let him be employed if for no other reason than to play out the next few games.  To me, the optics on this are poor.

Add in our coach not knowing that JA's hometown was Charlotte?  And the look just keeps getting worse.

• Like 1

Just now, vegas492 said:

Patricia? The only thing you can remember about Patricia is a bad bead?

Dude........the pencil.

That GD pencil that's stuck over his ear all the time. I'd bet he's "wearing it" when he's screwing his wife! :)

44 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Would you have not paid Jaire, Michael, is that what youre saying? You would have done what instead?

I think multiple things are true. Jaire earned a big contract from his 2020 season. However, the facts are still that he's CB1 in contract value, and that carries certain expectations. He played well in 2022, but not CB1 well. 2021 and 2023 have been a let down.

13 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think Ja is the type to “learn” from this and I am guessing he’s probably traded in the offseason. If you can believe Wilde, there might be some discontent already over the guaranteed money in the contract he just signed. That, mixed with a lack of belief in the HC/DC, I’m not sure this is repairable. I guess I hope we can get a second round pick for him or something. 

The team that gets Jaire would be paying $15M/year for the next three years. That's currently CB10 value for a former all pro, but currently someone who grades as the 54th best CB on PFF. I don't think you can pay a second round pick for something like that.

The way I see it, there's really only two options:

-Trade Jaire for a conditional late round pick, admitting it is a salary dump.

-Hire a new DC and hope that the relationship can be restored. 

I'd choose the second one and hope for the best. Either way, I'd wager that CB just became a priority for the draft.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know how many times I have to tell you this, but I don't care what any other team does.  I do not follow other teams very closely at all.  I cannot tell you anything about Patricia.  And I'm being serious about that.  I have no knowledge of what he used to do in New England, what he does now, or if he is even in New England any more.

As far as MLF and JB goes...I'll stand this this.  I don't know if you were for or against Barry coming back.  I know that I was fine with it as he showed enough variation last year to feel like that could spill over into this season.  And it did not.

A change should have been made a week or two ago.

But we sit here now and we suspended a player for conduct detrimental to the team.  And we have a DC who is continues to be dog **** bad and we let him be employed if for no other reason than to play out the next few games.  To me, the optics on this are poor.

Add in our coach not knowing that JA's hometown was Charlotte?  And the look just keeps getting worse.

Well, you keep saying we don't know what happened... but we (I) kind of do. Context matters I don't know why you people consistently say it doesn't.  He's the acting DC for the Eagles. (who didn't fire their flagging DC in season, instead demoting him) I think it's fairly important for context's sake to know what happens around the league. Otherwise, there's a serious vacuum problem when you talk about the Packers, only knowing what the Packers are like.

A change a week or two ago does nothing for this team's success. Jaire was not suspended for play. He was not benched for his play. don't know how many other ways to say that. Barry likewise hasn't been suspended or benched for play. They're in the same boat regarding their poor performances. They've both been granted starting spots based on tenure and contract. The main difference being Jaire has actually shown to be good in the past.

Optically, around the league, people think the suspension was a little much leading to a near unanimous agreement there is more behind the scenes we know nothing about. 

I have no problem with choosing in season stability at coach as long as he can handle the heat. I do have a problem with MLFs ability to choose a DC. IMO he needs to get the next one right, or top offenses be damned, we make wholesale changes.

3 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I think multiple things are true. Jaire earned a big contract from his 2020 season. However, the facts are still that he's CB1 in contract value, and that carries certain expectations. He played well in 2022, but not CB1 well. 2021 and 2023 have been a let down.

I just dont think there was ever an option. You pay Jaire, he was an ascending CB (who was already arguably top 5ish). Absolutely things have been disappointing since. I cant think of anyone who would be ok with drafting college Jaire, not be willing to pay rookie contract Jaire. It's the same dude.

And if we were a bit further into the contract I think we'd entertain trading him now. I just dont see that as a possibility.

Edited by HighCalebR

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I just dont think there was ever an option. You pay Jaire, he was an ascending CB (who was already arguably top 5ish). Absolutely things have been disappointing since. I cant think of anyone who would be ok with drafting college Jaire, not be willing to pay rookie contract Jaire. It's the same dude.

And if we were a bit further into the contract I think we'd entertain trading him now. I just dont see that as a possibility.

Same. With Barry's firing all but a certainty, you'd have to assume the next DC will have the main job of getting Jaire back to playing good football

• Like 1

I don't think Jaire is getting traded unless some team offers the Packers a deal too good to pass us.  Probably not happening.  Hoping we get a real legit DC that helps light a fire under these players.  Get a guy that is willing to let Jaire travel with #1 receivers on a weekly basis.  It would then be on Jaire to step up and accept the challenge and start earning his paycheck on a weekly basis.  It could be something that brings out the best in him going forward.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

Patricia? The only thing you can remember about Patricia is a bad bead?

Dude........the pencil.

That GD pencil that's stuck over his ear all the time. I'd bet he's "wearing it" when he's screwing his wife! :)

I have zero recollection of a pencil.  Again, I don't follow the Patriots, nor do I care what they do.