Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

so I understand the need to reel Alexander in, but this was just done wrong.  The staff should have had him speak (meaning:apologize) to the team and disciplined him ...on the inside of 1265-it never should have become public... in the same way the FO hates to see Campbell airing his grievances on social media/in public...it's exactly what they did-it's a bad look that no experienced leader/PR person would let happen- it's going to dominate the coverage of the game and make the FO/MLF look even worse

and my thinking in this response has nothing to do with Joe Barry-he should have been fired post Bucs game... and my guess is Alexander is gone in the off season  ... the whole thing just looks like amateur hour on the part of the staff

• Like 2

This shows to me there is no player leadership within the Packers. That other players are not holding Jaire to account for all his actions that it forces the team to act in such a manner.

Not all employees agree with their bosses decisions but a level of professionalism means you carry on and your fellow colleagues put you in check before doing stupid stuff. There is a leadership and cultural vacum within the Packers team and within the defence for sure.

This is way beyond a Barry problem

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You don't know the rule, do you? It's obvious. You should stop when you are wrong. 

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

YOU DON'T KNOW THE RULE DO YOU?

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You have two options: receive or defer.

It's not complicated whatsoever. 

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the bolded is not correct.  You do not know the rule.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

This shows to me there is no player leadership within the Packers. That other players are not holding Jaire to account for all his actions that it forces the team to act in such a manner.

Not all employees agree with their bosses decisions but a level of professionalism means you carry on and your fellow colleagues put you in check before doing stupid stuff. There is a leadership and cultural vacum within the Packers team and within the defence for sure.

Between Douglass, JA and Campbell, I think it's fair to say there were/are real problems in the GB locker room on the defensive side.

• Like 2

For everyone thinking JA is selfish, injured too much, and the team needs to move on.  Remember when all of those same things were being said about Lamar Jackson a year ago? 

This incident will be a distant memory by the time 2024 camp begins, and everyone will be talking themselves into how awesome the new DC will be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

This stuff is the result of the Barry problem.   He has lost the players.   When no action is taken by management the inmates take it up a notch.

The problem is that it is the leaders leading the revolt.   Jaire and Rasul were the lead dogs in the DB room.   Campbell is the lead dog in the LB room.   They are all going off because of the Barry problem.  This is exactly why MLF needed to take some action instead of acting sackless.  This is why it did matter, that they should not wait till Barry's contract expired.  MLF owns these problems, and now has to figure out how to fix them.

If MLF would have acted like a leader, it would have been contained to being a Barry problem.  Instead, he was sackless and now has a full-blown problem to fix with the locker room.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Why not just pull him in to the office sit him down and talk to him?  Tell him Barry is gone after the season and they need him to be a leader and set an example for the others.  Right?

A few points:

-I don't like how many posters keep suggesting "talk to him". For all we know, he's been talked to several times. Talking to him might work for an internal matter, but the coin flip thing was decidedly external. Sometimes actions speak louder than words, and some people don't really notice until cash is on the line.

Suspending him blows.  Especially when we needed him to shut down Jefferson.  I don't know this sucks all the way around.  Really liked Sul.  Didn't really get all that much for him either.  Moved up essentially a round and some change.  We get Buffalo's 3rd and we flipped them a 5th.  

Losing Sul sucked, but I think people are forgetting that the main reason we traded him was to start offloading 2024 salary. We off loaded $7M of desperately needed cap space, right when Stokes and Valentine were coming on. The move was less about acquiring draft capital and more about acquiring cap space at a position of relative depth.

HC should have a pulse on his team right?  Apparently not.  Pretty clear Gute is fed up as well.  I've been a strong MLF supporter but this latest episode I'm reconsidering my opinion.  Should have just canned Barry after Tampa regardless.  He better get that DC hire right.  No friends this time.  Get a brilliant Defensive mind.  

MLF has earned plenty of goodwill for his work on the offense. He's taken $40M and turned it into a franchise QB and a top 8-10 offense over the second half of the season. Yeah, it's time to rework the defense. But the focus of this year always was going to be Love, and he's answered all questions. People are jumping on MLF for ace-ing the test but failing the bonus question.

Pretty much writing the season off now.  This was the last straw.  

What were your expectations for the season? If you told me that Love would shine, the offense would improve every week, we'd lose a few easy games, but end up competing for the playoffs, I'd call that a good season. I don't mean to make excuses for the defense, I just wanted this team to move in the right direction as the cap situation is resolved. I've gotten what I wanted.

• Like 3

we are capable of holding two thoughts simultaneously without assuming that they contradict each other right?

Right?

JA is a bit of a bonehead AND Barry is an awful DC.

JA is injured way too much and doesn't live up to his contract.  He is also a difference maker when on the field.

Even though he is a difference maker, he is not a field tilting star like the best players in the NFL are.  he's never really reached the level of, say, stephon gilmore in his prime or had the playmaking skills of Jalen Ramsey.

It's definitely a conversation as to whether he's even the best defensive player on the team (probably Gary or Clark).  He's also not a leader of a defense or defensive unit.  More Ed Reed than Ray Lewis.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

A few points:

-I don't like how many posters keep suggesting "talk to him". For all we know, he's been talked to several times. Talking to him might work for an internal matter, but the coin flip thing was decidedly external. Sometimes actions speak louder than words, and some people don't really notice until cash is on the line.

Losing Sul sucked, but I think people are forgetting that the main reason we traded him was to start offloading 2024 salary. We off loaded $7M of desperately needed cap space, right when Stokes and Valentine were coming on. The move was less about acquiring draft capital and more about acquiring cap space at a position of relative depth.

MLF has earned plenty of goodwill for his work on the offense. He's taken $40M and turned it into a franchise QB and a top 8-10 offense over the second half of the season. Yeah, it's time to rework the defense. But the focus of this year always was going to be Love, and he's answered all questions. People are jumping on MLF for ace-ing the test but failing the bonus question.

What were your expectations for the season? If you told me that Love would shine, the offense would improve every week, we'd lose a few easy games, but end up competing for the playoffs, I'd call that a good season. I don't mean to make excuses for the defense, I just wanted this team to move in the right direction as the cap situation is resolved. I've gotten what I wanted.

Fan speak, we may think the focus on this season was making sure Love was the QB of the future, players don't think like that, players are in it for the ability to keep there job, make more money, and that happens when there put in position to excel, Barry provided to little of that, and players let Lafleur know that last year, plenty.

so for Lafleur to bring him back again was to turn a blind eye to the opinions of his players, and we've seen players revolt concerning this all season, Douglas was vocal in training camp, then again prior to being traded, Campbell a week ago, now Alexander, again, lets not forget his temper tantrum after the Vikings 18 months ago

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

we are capable of holding two thoughts simultaneously without assuming that they contradict each other right?

Right?

JA is a bit of a bonehead AND Barry is an awful DC.

JA is injured way too much and doesn't live up to his contract.  He is also a difference maker when on the field.

Even though he is a difference maker, he is not a field tilting star like the best players in the NFL are.  he's never really reached the level of, say, stephon gilmore in his prime or had the playmaking skills of Jalen Ramsey.

It's definitely a conversation as to whether he's even the best defensive player on the team (probably Gary or Clark).  He's also not a leader of a defense or defensive unit.  More Ed Reed than Ray Lewis.

Alexander when healthy and in man coverage is as good as it gets, heres a snippit that attest to that, and it's from last springs top 100

Alexander was ranked No. 26 overall.

Only one other cornerback was ranked ahead of him, New York Jets second-year player Sauce Gardner, who was the 2022 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. And Alexander got an up-close look at a few of the wide receivers last year ranked above him. They include NFL Offensive Player of the Year Justin Jefferson, 

now if memory serves Jefferson had one catch that game for about 4 yrds, Alexander has shut down ability, Barry's schemes waste the talents of Alexander, that is why he's upset, I would be as well.

1 minute ago, turf toe said:

Alexander when healthy and in man coverage is as good as it gets, heres a snippit that attest to that, and it's from last springs top 100

Alexander is an inconsistent player who can have amazing games and pretty meh ones too.  The highs outweigh the lows but I would really struggle to rank him among the top 10 CBs in the league in any capacity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Alexander is an inconsistent player who can have amazing games and pretty meh ones too.  The highs outweigh the lows but I would really struggle to rank him among the top 10 CBs in the league in any capacity.

Since Barry took over? 100% agree, but in 2020 he was the best CB in the game. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, turf toe said:

Fan speak, we may think the focus on this season was making sure Love was the QB of the future, players don't think like that, players are in it for the ability to keep there job, make more money, and that happens when there put in position to excel, Barry provided to little of that, and players let Lafleur know that last year, plenty.

so for Lafleur to bring him back again was to turn a blind eye to the opinions of his players, and we've seen players revolt concerning this all season, Douglas was vocal in training camp, then again prior to being traded, Campbell a week ago, now Alexander, again, lets not forget his temper tantrum after the Vikings 18 months ago

I get that, and there's a lot of truth to it. Players certainly have a right and duty to speak up when their coaches aren't putting them in conditions to succeed. Gute and MLF have certainly tolerated their share of that. And I'd bet any amount of money that if the Packers were out of the playoff race right now Barry would already be fired.

So I don't think it's fair to blame MLF for "bringing Barry back" since he was still under contract. We fans don't think much about it, but there's a difference between being bad enough to get fired and not good enough to be extended. The front office probably figured that replacing the QB was enough of a disruption for the year, and didn't want to saddle the roster with a new DC too. 

Players have a right to complain, but at a certain point you need to keep your dirty laundry internal for the good of the team.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Kool Aid McKinstry

21 years old.  6'1''.  194 pounds.  Rumored 4.35 speed.  Starter at Alabama since he was a freshman.

This one is starting to look like it makes waaaayyyy too much sense for GB.

All we need to see is an RAS score and a religious tweet or two.

Jets are taking him so they can build their defense around Sauce and Kool-Aid.

• Like 4