Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

58 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

this team almost just lost to Carolina.  They can easily lose to any team in the NFL

The offense is Solid, but it is not foolproof.  And the defense is downright terrible

The STs is not good either.

Expecting to win the next two games is silly.  It's much more likely they go 1-1 than 2-0 IMO.

The Packers are going to have to search deep and try to find that intensity they showed against KC and Detroit to win these next two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turf toe said:

Montgomery can run this defense just as well as Barry

So the Montgomery thing I take issue with. The guy's never been a DC, not even in college, and now people are convinced he could outcoach Barry. Like, I get that we hate Barry, but let's be real. This sounds like the guys who think that Alabama could beat the worst NFL team. 

1 hour ago, turf toe said:

imho since we where already figuring this would be a transition season, it would seem the perfect season to switch DC's as well, but I understand your point, think it was the same reason we didn't fire McCarthy when we fired Capers and demoted Thompson in 2018, and realistically the results are the same, McCarthy's offense floundered just as Barry's defense has, loyalty maybe, whatever though, again, the message is clear, players will bust down walls for a coach they like and believe in, and wont for ones they dislike or feel are hurting there career, jmo

I get this too, but MLF might also be sending a message: Complaining will not get your boss fired. We do not let the employees, even Aaron Rodgers, dictate the employment status of the coaching staff. I'd argue that this message is even more important than "holding Barry accountable" and all that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The Packers are going to have to search deep and try to find that intensity they showed against KC and Detroit to win these next two.

It's wild to think that we have to dig deep defensively to stop a rookie 5th round QB and the Bears.

As a side note, it's funny to think about how losing to KC and Det would have knocked us out of playoff contention, which would have gotten Barry fired sooner, which would have made so many people happier.

5 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

It's wild to think that we have to dig deep defensively to stop a rookie 5th round QB and the Bears.

As a side note, it's funny to think about how losing to KC and Det would have knocked us out of playoff contention, which would have gotten Barry fired sooner, which would have made so many people happier.

We needed those games to show everyone just how good Love could be.  The pass rush was excellent in both of those contests, so if we can fire off on the Vikings line and play with a lead all day we might be okay in this one.  I think Love is battle tested enough to handle blitzing D's at this point.  

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We needed those games to show everyone just how good Love could be.  The pass rush was excellent in both of those contests, so if we can fire off on the Vikings line and play with a lead all day we might be okay in this one.  I think Love is battle tested enough to handle blitzing D's at this point.  

Yeah, but we'd all be much happier here if the team was losing 40 point shootouts. Love would prove he's the man, and we get the pleasure of watching Barry be fired!

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

He's getting canned at seasons end more than likely .. lets get some wins.

Oh for sure. I'm a total Joe Barry defender here, which means I think he's earned the right to keep his job until we're out of playoff contention.

I'm just pointing out the small irony that many people would be happier if we were losing more games so Barry could be fired.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

What the "it's bad" part according to these guys.  Any wild accusations thrown about?

Calling it "interesting" was probably overstating it.  Mostly just McGinn ranting about how selfish and soft JA is, and how terrible he played vs CAR.

35 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I get this too, but MLF might also be sending a message: Complaining will not get your boss fired. We do not let the employees, even Aaron Rodgers, dictate the employment status of the coaching staff. I'd argue that this message is even more important than "holding Barry accountable" and all that.

Nonsense.  We have no history of firing coaches unreasonably.  In fact Barry’s very presence proves it since most organizations would have moved on after last season.

our problem is too much loyalty to failed coaches.  Keeping Drayton cost us a SB.  Keeping Barry has cost losing half the locker room.  With decent defensive play we would already be holding a post season slot.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Calling it "interesting" was probably overstating it.  Mostly just McGinn ranting about how selfish and soft JA is, and how terrible he played vs CAR.

Not making excuses for JA.

But when I've seen him play poorly, it is usually after he's coming back from injury and just not really "right".  Like he's a guy that doesn't play well unless he's at or near 100%.

Some guys can play hurt and be just fine.  But to me, Jaire just isn't one of those guys.

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

So the Montgomery thing I take issue with. The guy's never been a DC, not even in college, and now people are convinced he could outcoach Barry. Like, I get that we hate Barry, but let's be real. This sounds like the guys who think that Alabama could beat the worst NFL team. 

any replacement DC for Barry would not have to "outcoach" Barry, but merely be as incompetent as Barry.  that bar is pretty low

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

our problem is too much loyalty to failed coaches.  Keeping Drayton cost us a SB.  Keeping Barry has cost losing half the locker room.  With decent defensive play we would already be holding a post season slot.

I kinda agree, GB is loyal to a fault. But imo, there's about 75% of the league who're so aggressive that they constantly make huge mistakes, and 25% of the league is so loyal that they keep guys a year too long. The loyalists tend to be better franchises. 

I'd point out that the loyalty and patience that drives fans nuts is also the reason we drafted Rodgers and Love, and that patience looks to have been rewarded.

• Like 1

Bad franchises change their coaches and leadership constantly.  I agree that is losing behavior.   Loyalty is a good thing, but only to those who either show promise or are proven performers.

The problem coaches I mentioned fit neither category.   MLF was simply ignored the obvious for far too long.  Both Drayton and Barry were bad hires that never showed plus results and often showed to be a problem far earlier than the situations were addressed.

Posting endlessly about dumping young players that make mistakes is fools game material.

• Like 2