Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

43 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Interesting article regarding Jaire's suspension. The report was he was suspended due to his joining the party at the coin toss. Not true according to this article quoting Matt LaFleur.

Regarding the reason for Alexander’s suspension, LaFleur said to the media that “it’s never one thing,” while also denying that it had anything to do with the NFL’s highest-paid cornerback missing a significant amount of time in 2023 due to injury. He also said that Alexander being suspended was not for him taking on unassigned pregame duties.

Bottom line, Jaire has been a cancer for a while. The speculation about why he wasn't put on IR seems a valid discussion point. One could speculate he wasn't put on IR because he should have been able to go well before the 5 weeks he missed. 

Don't see this ending, happily ever after. I see this ending with Jaire playing someplace else next year. 

The Packers have much bigger problems than Jaire Alexander calling a coin toss (msn.com)

He also didn't travel with the team for a game a few weeks ago .. maybe the Giants game.  That seemed odd at the time too, and has never been explained. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He also didn't travel with the team for a game a few weeks ago .. maybe the Giants game.  That seemed odd at the time too, and has never been explained. 

I forgot about that one. The pieces are starting to come together a bit more. 

5 hours ago, Norm said:

How the **** would I know? I don't work with them. Just because a defense is bad doesn't mean everyone on the staff sucks. That's just silly. 

How is it silly when some of them have been around for multiple coordinators/systems and nearly a decade (for someone like Montgomery) and not been a part of a good defense? The defense needs a reset. 

Combining first- and second-year players, the Packers currently rank fifth all-time and second in the Super Bowl era for receiving yards in a season by players with that level of experience. They're at 3,073 yards and are on pace to move ahead of the 1988 Buccaneers (3,150) for tops in the Super Bowl era. The Packers don't have any yards by a receiver with more than two years of NFL experience because they don't have a receiver with more than two years of experience.

With an improving OL and legit RB to take over for Jones, the GB offense could really be something over the next few seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

With an improving OL and legit RB to take over for Jones, the GB offense could really be something over the next few seasons.

I think it's very possible the Packers and Jones will work out an amicable deal for the next year or two.  His replacement will be drafted this year, get some depth on the OL and yes indeed, the GB offense could be damn good.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I think it's very possible the Packers and Jones will work out an amicable deal for the next year or two.  His replacement will be drafted this year, get some depth on the OL and yes indeed, the GB offense could be damn good.  

He's at the age for RB where his inability to stay on the field this year is much more likely to be a continuing and growing concern. Love what he's done here but I would not want to extend him.

5 minutes ago, spilltray said:

He's at the age for RB where his inability to stay on the field this year is much more likely to be a continuing and growing concern. Love what he's done here but I would not want to extend him.

I generally agree with this statement, but Jones is a guy I'd take a chance on for two reasons, assuming the price was right.

1. He's a great locker room guy by all accounts and a team leader.

2. He doesn't have the wear and tear of normal bell cow RB's at his age and his role would likely be reduced.

He's worth 5-7 million a year to me for 2 years. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I generally agree with this statement, but Jones is a guy I'd take a chance on for two reasons, assuming the price was right.

2. He doesn't have the wear and tear of normal bell cow RB's at his age and his role would likely be reduced.

He's already got a bunch of void years. I don't want to keep drawing it out. 

Yes he's a good guy, but if it's up to me I let him walk after next year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spilltray said:

He's already got a bunch of void years. I don't want to keep drawing it out. 

Yes he's a good guy, but if it's up to me I let him walk after next year.

Thought he was done after this year contract wise.  If he has a year left, then I agree this should be his last year but absolutely draft a running back or two this year.

12 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I forgot about that one. The pieces are starting to come together a bit more. 

Yeah, I think he's gone this offseason.  I guess he could return a changed man, but I think the Packers will look to move on.  If they go CB in round one I think it's even more likely, but not so sure he will be on the team by the time the draft rolls around.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Pretty sure they will figure out a way to keep him around for a while yet.  I actually think they will bring Dillon back as well on a team friendly deal.