Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

AJ Dillon out vs the Bears this week.  And so dies the dream of a 650 yard season.....

I was planning on taking a shot for every 7 yard run.    Figured by the 2nd qtr I'd have to lower that threshold to 4 just for a chance at breaking the seal (on the bottle, not the bladder).    Still ran the high likelihood of being stone cold sober.    The AJ Dillon drinking game - specifically designed for the designated driver.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Hope he shows some of the things that gave him a leg up in preseason. Tyler Goodson got injured and is now getting work on the 53 in IND.  maybe Wilson can give us a spark when 33 is not in there. There were some jokes in August about posters including me debating RB3 but I think it’s actually pretty important.  That position sees so much action, RB3 can jump one or even two spots on the depth chart in a single game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Hope he shows some of the things that gave him a leg up in preseason. Tyler Goodson got injured and is now getting work on the 53 in IND.  maybe Wilson can give us a spark when 33 is not in there. There were some jokes in August about posters including me debating RB3 but I think it’s actually pretty important.  That position sees so much action, RB3 can jump one or even two spots on the depth chart in a single game. 

So what happened to Taylor?

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

So what happened to Taylor?

He was cut, on another team’s PS and then brought back when we were in dire need with Jones out and Dillon banged up. The best thing I can say about him is that he’s sure handed and physical. I guess he knows the plays and is decent in pass pro but he’s shown very,very little in terms of positive yds. I’d like to see Wilson get a few carries to see if he’s got any juice. 

Edited by Refugee

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

He was cut, on another team’s PS and then brought back when we were in dire need with Jones out and Dillon banged up. The best thing I can say about him is that he’s sure handed and physical. I guess he knows the plays and is decent in pass pro but he’s shown very,very little in terms of positive yds. I’d like to see Wilson get a few carries to see if he’s got any juice. 

So Taylor's gonna be RB2 tomorrow then. I doubt Wilson gets many reps at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Fwiw, the one thing that would help Love/passing game is that defense-stretching deep threat. He can be a one-trick pony, provided that is the one trick. (Think MVS). Do you draft someone like that in round 1? Probably not. But in round 2 or later? Possibly. Watson is that and more, but if they eventually determine he has chronic hamstring issues, then they can't count on him, that important role goes unfulfilled, and the offense is hamstrung ;) because of it, at least a bit. You need a backup plan. Are there any round 2 or later prospects in this upcoming draft that might be able to be that one trick pony? Perhaps. Maybe it's Legette, or Franklin, or Polk, or Walker?

Whatever the case, I think having this role reliably fulfilled is a greater need than others may think. 

Agree,  ideally you want Watson to fix the hamstring issue, but thats easier said than done.  Franklin might be able to fit that role but with all these guys, where can you get him in the draft? 

6 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree,  ideally you want Watson to fix the hamstring issue, but thats easier said than done.  Franklin might be able to fit that role but with all these guys, where can you get him in the draft? 

Good question. Gotta wait for their Senior Bowl practices and Combine numbers. Franklin has everything but weight, strength. I am intrigued by 6'3, 227pnd Xavier Legette, especially if he runs a 4.4 or less at the Combine, which he may. He is bit stiff, no wiggle, limited route tree, a poor man's D.K. Metcalf, but what he can do well if he works on press-beating technique off the line is run those go routes, high point, strong hands, great on contested catches, and should be able to block like a m'fer. I'm sure Lafleur can find some creative uses for him. Granted, if Franklin and Legette time well, they could go bottom of the 1st which may be too rich for the Packers, given their other needs. Another guy I like is Devontez Walker--could be a steal if he lasts till their 3rd round pick, though again, need to see his Combine 40 time, whether he runs a sufficient time. Brenden Rice might be a good mid-round pick. Plenty to talk about between now and the draft. But first things first, beat da Bearz.

Edited by DWhitehurst

10 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Okay, I'll admit I'm not a doctor or anything but I would think that yoga and stretching probably takes care of most of this problem?

8 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Good question. Gotta wait for their Senior Bowl practices and Combine numbers. Franklin has everything but weight, strength. I am intrigued by 6'3, 227pnd Xavier Legette, especially if he runs a 4.4 or less at the Combine, which he may. He is bit stiff, no wiggle, limited route tree, a poor man's D.K. Metcalf, but what he can do well if he works on press-beating technique off the line is run those go routes, high point, strong hands, great on contested catches, and should be able to block like a m'fer. I'm sure Lafleur can find some creative uses for him. Granted, if Franklin and Legette time well, they could go bottom of the 1st which may be too rich for the Packers, given their other needs. Another guy I like is Devontez Walker--could be a steal if he lasts till their 3rd round pick, though again, need to see his Combine 40 time, whether he runs a sufficient time. Brenden Rice might be a good mid-round pick. Plenty to talk about between now and the draft. But first things first, beat da Bearz.

Agree, but you also gotta find out things that we aren't privy to.  Any player (particularly WR) has to fit into what the Packers are doing.  Those interviews are important.  You need team players who are will to work at their craft, willing to wait their turn and put in the work.  The team chemistry is vastly important Green Bay.  It's part of what they look for.

11 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Okay, I'll admit I'm not a doctor or anything but I would think that yoga and stretching probably takes care of most of this problem?

Yeah, hard to say.  These are professional people dealing with this and you would think after years of dealing with it they would have covered that 100 times over?   I read somewhere that Watson spent over $9k dealing with finding a solution.  Big upside for him and this team if they can find a way to solve it.