Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

55 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

When guards are getting 5/100 deals on the market, suddenly pick 25 for a good guard on a 5 year deal under 20m seems like great value.

Yeah, spending late RD1 picks on top end IOL prospects has made sense for a few years now.  GB's just been so good at developing later round guys, I get why GB fans still argue against it.

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, spending late RD1 picks on top end IOL prospects has made sense for a few years now.  GB's just been so good at developing later round guys, I get why GB fans still argue against it.

Hell, take one in the 1st and then in the 4th or 5th. Hit on both. Stay good forever 😎 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

When guards are getting 5/100 deals on the market, suddenly pick 25 for a good guard on a 5 year deal under 20m seems like great value.

That and because offenses have become so quick at getting the ball out and mitigating the edges a bit, teams are looking for killer interior DL who can pash and rocket into the backfield. Some equally strong, quick and nasty dudes are good to have there on the OL. 

Dianna Russini -   The Minnesota Vikings are interested in Aaron Jones, who is now a free agent. The Packers wanted Jones to take at least a 50% pay cut entering the final year of his deal. Now he could end up with a division rival.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Dianna Russini -   The Minnesota Vikings are interested in Aaron Jones, who is now a free agent. The Packers wanted Jones to take at least a 50% pay cut entering the final year of his deal. Now he could end up with a division rival.

88ceacc8-bd62-4154-a80d-a7b15b08b2f3_tex

• Like 3

Andy Herman -  I know the Aaron Jones move stings. It certainly does for me. But one thing I will say is that the majority of the times the Packers have made an extremely unpopular decision to move on from a fan favorite player - they’ve been right far more often than not.

One other thing I’ll say here. This could fail miserably. And blow up on Gute. But I want a GM who is comfortable and confident with making the unpopular decision. Cutting Jones is extremely unpopular. Gute knew that. The easy road is just keeping him. (And maybe it was the right road, we’ll see). But I sincerely appreciate a GM who is willing to make the unpopular choice because he truly believes it’s the right thing to do. That will always have my respect.

• Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

Andy Herman -  I know the Aaron Jones move stings. It certainly does for me. But one thing I will say is that the majority of the times the Packers have made an extremely unpopular decision to move on from a fan favorite player - they’ve been right far more often than not.

One other thing I’ll say here. This could fail miserably. And blow up on Gute. But I want a GM who is comfortable and confident with making the unpopular decision. Cutting Jones is extremely unpopular. Gute knew that. The easy road is just keeping him. (And maybe it was the right road, we’ll see). But I sincerely appreciate a GM who is willing to make the unpopular choice because he truly believes it’s the right thing to do. That will always have my respect.

really well put

• Like 1

Packers fans on the socials (hell, the CheeseheadTV account itself!) are responding to the Jones cut in an extremely deranged manner. As if it’s somehow any different from all the vets that are cut every year by every team. I know he was well-liked, I liked him too, but I genuinely don’t get it. They are acting hysterical. 

5 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Packers fans on the socials (hell, the CheeseheadTV account itself!) are responding to the Jones cut in an extremely deranged manner. As if it’s somehow any different from all the vets that are cut every year by every team. I know he was well-liked, I liked him too, but I genuinely don’t get it. They are acting hysterical. 

it's the only thing to complain about and some people need to feel outraged to feel alive

• Like 2