Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Dunno about that.  Doubs is my pick to be the leading receiver this year.  He's going to be a high volume guy. 

I got Wicks. I would possibly consider Watson, but he's always due for a few games being out. It'll be interesting to see if his work on his hammies will pay off this year.

12 hours ago, Refugee said:

Clay Mathews and Aaron Kampman go into the GB HoF. The part of Clay’s Speech that I watched reminded me that TT traded a 2nd and two 3rds to get back into the 1st round to take a player that really didn’t do too much in college. Very glad that gamble paid off because if that pick busted, that would be a big part of what people remembered about our former GM. Glad both of those players, and Ted will be remembered in Packers history. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Kansas are usually very good at finding quality defensive backs. They drafted Hadden in the 6th round this year and dumped him less than 5 months later, did not even land on their practice squad either. I wouldn't get too excited about this one, it's just us kicking the tyres and seeing what's there.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/posts/chiefs-draft-pick-was-an-extremely-rare-miss-in-the-secondary-01j6f1cc7ern

Did you know about a year ago Andrew Beck had a 90 yard kick return in an NFL game!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjddXjcIR24&feature=youtu.be

I'm surprised with La'Mical Perine. Not quite a Gute type RB, a little older and a bit of a journeyman which suggests he's doesn't have much upside. He's been available a number of times over the last four years and all of a sudden we're interested in him, why not before? Looking at the tape there are things to like. Has a decent burst, seems comfortable catching passes and has tenacity about him. I suppose the fact that he has actual NFL experience and was on Kansas superbowl winning rosters has some value to us. Below is his most recent tape I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4bQu1Vadg0

15 hours ago, Refugee said:

Clay Mathews and Aaron Kampman go into the GB HoF. The part of Clay’s Speech that I watched reminded me that TT traded a 2nd and two 3rds to get back into the 1st round to take a player that really didn’t do too much in college. Very glad that gamble paid off because if that pick busted, that would be a big part of what people remembered about our former GM. Glad both of those players, and Ted will be remembered in Packers history. 

What I remember about the year CMIII was drafted, was that the light switched on for Clay in the last half of his final year in college before being drafted, so unless you had watched his latest tape (as Ted had) you wouldn't have seen that elevation to his game. Ted rated Matthews rather higher than the spot where he drafted him, so he was quite content to pay a relatively high price to get him.

8 hours ago, Eternal said:

I got Wicks. I would possibly consider Watson, but he's always due for a few games being out. It'll be interesting to see if his work on his hammies will pay off this year.

The fact that you replied to a post that named Doubs, while you named Wicks and Watson, and neither of you mentioned Reed is all the proof I need that naming GB's WR1 is a guessing game.

Edited by Mazrimiv

9 hours ago, Eternal said:

Maybe.  Think he's #4 on the depth chart.  I'll be surprised if Watson can stay healthy all season.  Doubs, Reed, Watson, and then Wicks.  Could very well be Reed that is the most productive.  He was our leading receiver last year and a rook no less.  What a nice position to be in not even knowing who will be the leading WR.  Love the way the offense came together last year.  

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I honestly don't think the WR depth chart matters much when it comes to the Packers WR1-WR4.  The WR usage is going to depend on game plans.

They are all going to get plenty of opportunities, as well as Musgrave and Kraft. Such a good problem to have. Let's stay healthy.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The fact that you replied to a post that named Doubs, while you named Wicks and Watson, and neither of you mentioned Reed is all the proof I need that naming GB's WR1 is a guessing game.

I had my fantasy draft last night and everyone was avoiding Packers WRs like the plague because no-one had any idea who's #1 or #2 WR.

I took the plunge and grabbed Watson. Happy with that.

My mate who was with me later on picked up Love and I was trying to encourage him to pick Doubs as well to pair with his QB but the fantasy site he was looking at had Reed #1, Watson #2, Doubs #3. Reed was already gone at this point and I was telling him that the fantasy site is wrong but instead he went for DeAndre Hopkins which isn't a bad pick by any means and unfortunately Doubs was taken a round later.

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

They are all going to get plenty of opportunities, as well as Musgrave and Kraft. Such a good problem to have. Let's stay healthy.

The really nice thing is that losing two WRs and a TE would hurt the GB offense, but would not cripple it.

Edited by Mazrimiv

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

I had my fantasy draft last night and everyone was avoiding Packers WRs like the plague because no-one had any idea who's #1 or #2 WR.

I took the plunge and grabbed Watson. Happy with that.

My mate who was with me later on picked up Love and I was trying to encourage him to pick Doubs as well to pair with his QB but the fantasy site he was looking at had Reed #1, Watson #2, Doubs #3. Reed was already gone at this point and I was telling him that the fantasy site is wrong but instead he went for DeAndre Hopkins which isn't a bad pick by any means and unfortunately Doubs was taken a round later.

I got roped into playing fantasy football with my brother and his daughter in laws. I haven't played in well over 20 years.

What order do you usually pick positions? Used to be you'd get a RB first but I honestly have no idea anymore what to draft when. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I got roped into playing fantasy football with my brother and his daughter in laws. I haven't played in well over 20 years.

What order do you usually pick positions? Used to be you'd get a RB first but I honestly have no idea anymore what to draft when. 

Generally speaking, you want to get your hands on the best RBs early as they go fast. Lots of WRs to pick later because there are #2 WRs out there who are performing just as well as #1 WR on other teams.

I'll say this...TE is not deep. It's basically Kelce, LaPorta, Kittle and Andrews. After that there is a big drop off. You need to pay attention in the middle rounds when the TE starts going, However it's entirely possible Kelce and LaPorta will go in the 2nd round.

In my league QBs who run the ball are worth their weight in gold and rack up lots of points. So Jackson, Hurts, Allen etc... Last couple of years I was unable to get my hands on a good rushing QB and thankfully this year I was able to land Hurts.

Then later on in the draft I lost my internet connection and the autodraft selected Caleb Williams for me. The next round went by and I was just two picks away from selecting DeVonta Smith to pair with Hurts so I settled on Odunze to pair with Williams.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Generally speaking, you want to get your hands on the best RBs early as they go fast. Lots of WRs to pick later because there are #2 WRs out there who are performing just as well as #1 WR on other teams.

I'll say this...TE is not deep. It's basically Kelce, LaPorta, Kittle and Andrews. After that there is a big drop off. You need to pay attention in the middle rounds when the TE starts going,

In my league QBs who run the ball are worth their weight in gold and rack up lots of points. So Jackson, Hurts, Allen etc... Last couple of years I was unable to get my hands on a good rushing QB and thankfully this year I was able to land Hurts.

Then later on in the draft I lost my internet connection and the autodraft selected Caleb Williams for me. The next round went by and I was just two picks away from selecting DeVonta Smith to pair with Hurts so I settled on Odunze to pair with Williams.

Thank you! This helps a lot. 

What are your thoughts on Richardson from the Colts? I saw one site he was the 38th or 39th ranked player. I thought that was ridiculously high for him. 

Edited by Old Guy

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Thank you! This helps a lot. 

What are your thoughts on Richardson from the Colts? I saw one site he was the 38th or 39th ranked player. I thought that was ridiculously high for him. 

If i remember correctly most leagues have

25 yards passing = 1 point
Passing TD = 4 point

But if you have a QB who can run and score rushing TD

10 yards rushing = 1 point
Rushing TD = 6 points

As a result you can rack up points more quickly if you have a QB who can throw and run. In my league last year Allen had 398 fantasy points. Hurts had 360 points. Jordan Love who didn't really rush much nor scored many rushing TD got a measly 319 points despite throwing for 2nd most TDs in the league.  Goff and Tua threw for the most yards but only got 291 and 283 points respectively. It goes to show the value of QBs who can run in fantasy leagues.

In your case it makes sense Richardson is ranked very high. He's extremely dynamic. So the potential for lots of points is there and he has good recievers and a good RB to work with.

In my league he was the 5th QB taken. Basically you want to land any of the following QBs:

Allen, Hurts, Jackson. Mahomes, Richardson, Murray for their dual threat abilties. Prescott and Love are not far behind if they carry their form into this season. Caleb Williams is a sneaky play, very dynamic, very Mahomes-like and he has excellent receivers.

Edited by Chili

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

What I remember about the year CMIII was drafted, was that the light switched on for Clay in the last half of his final year in college before being drafted, so unless you had watched his latest tape (as Ted had) you wouldn't have seen that elevation to his game. Ted rated Matthews rather higher than the spot where he drafted him, so he was quite content to pay a relatively high price to get him.

It was a great pick. He obviously knew he wasn’t the only one to have seen the potential because he traded 41, 73 & 83(Favre compensation) to get back to 26. It very much worked out and we still got Lang and a few role players out of the later rounds but would have looked very bad of Clay had busted. TT had some misses, but for a stretch of years he was finding gems early middle and late to help the team. Of course the coaches get credit for developing the players as well. It was good to see Clay give Dom and KG their due. 

• Like 1