Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Anything is possible, but I will say I disagree with that. 

Its not like quay hasnt been beaten on wheel routes if thats why youre so low on the guy. I dont think Isaiah did anything to warrant him losing reps.

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Anything is possible, but I will say I disagree with that. 

This certainly suggest otherwise. This is PFF so you somewhat take it with a grain of salt, but this is not good. 

Not liking seeing Karl Brooks name on here either. I was expecting big things out of him. Might still get those big things too. 

Bottom 5 defense

1. LB Isaiah McDuffie: 35.7
2. DL Kenny Clark: 39.4
3. DE Kingsley Enagbare: 41.3
4. DL Karl Brooks: 42.4
5. DL TJ Slaton: 42.7

Yeah no i dont rate pffs grades at all.

Couldnt give a **** if they gave him a zero.

You telling me Kenny needs to lose reps?

Edited by HighCalebR

12 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah no i dont rate pffs grades at all.

Couldnt give a **** if they gave him a zero.

You telling me Kenny needs to lose reps?

Where did I say that? Kenny has proven he is a ++ defender. He didn't play well against a very good offensive line. None of our front 4 did IMO. We lost that battle in the trenches. IMO, the defensive plan was to make sure you stay in your lanes, so the QB doesn't beat us with his legs. Somewhat self-mitigating a pass rush. 

McDuffie has not proven his even a good defender.  He's been a specials teamer who played because of injury in the past. He's likely starting because he knows the defense better than anybody given, he played for our DC in college. 

If we are playing the majority of our snaps with 2 LBs, I'm saying it won't be long before those two are Cooper and Quay. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

Where did I say that? Kenny has proven he is a ++ defender. He didn't play well against a very good offensive line. None of our front 4 did IMO. We lost that battle in the trenches. IMO, the defensive plan was to make sure you stay in your lanes, so the QB doesn't beat us with his legs. Somewhat self-mitigating a pass rush. 

McDuffie has not proven his even a good defender.  He's been a specials teamer who played because of injury in the past. He's likely starting because he knows the defense better than anybody given, he played for our DC in college. 

If we are playing the majority of our snaps with 2 LBs, I'm saying it won't be long before those two are Cooper and Quay. 

He was the next worst on your list there. If duff needs to be replaced so does kenny?

If you lose thr battle in the trenches guess who gets ****ed on as a byproduct of that? You guessed it LBs!

He has actually proven to be a good run defender. He did in all his reps last year.

I dont think the haf connection is that important.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Clark not playing well is an issue.

our front 7 play in general was an issue. Disappointing start for Hafley and that defense with all its resources.

It's easy to be discouraged yet again.

I think the soft field was a problem vs double teams. If its not cleaned up in the states ill be discouraged with the rest of the folks. Im just not making big changes based on 1 game.

Thought we played with great energy, not a given with our opening day history. Just gotta get guys doing their jobs and not trying to make every play.

Definitely need better vs the run. But the passing game is a reason to be very encouraged imo.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I think the soft field was a problem vs double teams. If its not cleaned up in the states ill be discouraged with the rest of the folks. Im just not making big changes based on 1 game.

Thought we played with great energy, not a given with our opening day history. Just gotta get guys doing their jobs and not trying to make every play.

Definitely need better vs the run. But the passing game is a reason to be very encouraged imo.

We always seem to **** the bed week 1.

That said - the only difference is being without Love going forward. That's the difference. That's the *****. Hopefully he's not out for an extended period because it clearly puts our record & playoff potentials at risk....which is a real bummer. 

• Like 1

Their Oline was better then our Dline plain and simple. Kenny Clark can only do so much by himself. We got wooped in that part of hte game quite frankly. Gary had a sack when Lane thought he was offside beyond that we played the run well for awhile and then Barkley did some real good things man that is one hell of a back he made it through a few small holes. But our Dline is not the strongest. Beyond that of Clark on the interior we are weak. Slayton sucks for his size i would take Mike Pennel back in a heart beat he's still with the Chiefs talk about a hard man to move. Lets hope they get better or something.

On another note I would like to see our guys move a bit around on the ends. Would it hurt here and there to let Gary chase from the other side from time to time. Just my thought. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Their Oline was better then our Dline plain and simple. Kenny Clark can only do so much by himself. We got wooped in that part of hte game quite frankly. Gary had a sack when Lane thought he was offside beyond that we played the run well for awhile and then Barkley did some real good things man that is one hell of a back he made it through a few small holes. But our Dline is not the strongest. Beyond that of Clark on the interior we are weak. Slayton sucks for his size i would take Mike Pennel back in a heart beat he's still with the Chiefs talk about a hard man to move. Lets hope they get better or something.

On another note I would like to see our guys move a bit around on the ends. Would it hurt here and there to let Gary chase from the other side from time to time. Just my thought. 

I think it is tough to evaluate our DL/EDGE in this game.

From what I saw, the game plan was to pinch the EDGES and not allow Hurts to get outside of them.  Kind of a "box him in" kind of rush, instead of a pure get him to the ground pass rush.

Then I thought that the idea was to get as much push up the middle into Hurts' face.  And I thought we did that, but it took too long and our corners just couldn't keep up.  And when we went man, they ran crossers that burned us.

My guess is that the same will hold true this coming week.  We want the QB contained on the EDGES, with pressure up the middle.

If it were me, I'd be putting in a Cooper Blitz package.  Just turn the kid loose inside.  When the QB moves, then the EDGES should get him.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

From what I saw, the game plan was to pinch the EDGES and not allow Hurts to get outside of them.  Kind of a "box him in" kind of rush, instead of a pure get him to the ground pass rush.

Then I thought that the idea was to get as much push up the middle into Hurts' face.  And I thought we did that, but it took too long and our corners just couldn't keep up.  And when we went man, they ran crossers that burned us.

My guess is that the same will hold true this coming week.  We want the QB contained on the EDGES, with pressure up the middle.

If it were me, I'd be putting in a Cooper Blitz package.  Just turn the kid loose inside.  When the QB moves, then the EDGES should get him.

True Smith and GAry had to hold true to keep him in the pocket. REally needed the two middle guys to get pressure they just didn't. Need better LB play as well can't wait to see Coop in there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yes.

Not that they can't play better but our inside D-Line guys were mostly double teamed.  They expected the middle to be controlled and far too often it was.  They did a good job overall reacting to our expected outside rush.

We'll see improvement there as the year goes on and I believe quickly.  LB concerns me some, we need more Cooper and we'll get it as he grows within the system.   Need some better decision making by some in key situations.  Nixon and Alexander obvious but they're not alone.  Some really dumb penalties and spending our last time out for the half with over 10 minutes left in the 2nd qtr not acceptable.  Maybe we should have played more in the pre-season.....

• Like 1

From the "Things that probably only interest me" File:

Malik Willis and Xavier McKinney were High School teammates at Roswell GA in 2016.  After they graduated,  Packer LB Tyron Hopper played at Roswell the next year.  

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

True Smith and GAry had to hold true to keep him in the pocket. REally needed the two middle guys to get pressure they just didn't. Need better LB play as well can't wait to see Coop in there. 

You didn't even hear Preston's name in there.  I watched him on a play or two, it looked like he was playing tug of war to get to this spot and anchor to solidify that EDGE of the pocket.  Gary was coming a little stronger to pinch his side.  Didn't notice LVN or Engbare much at all, but I thought LVN had one nice play, I forget if it was pass or run.

The sad part was Wyatt and Brooks.  I expected more from them in regards to getting a rush up the middle.

• Like 1