Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I dated a vegetarian/vegan for awhile (she got more and more stringent with food restrictions as we dated, ugh...I don't care but it's like "so I need to figure out a whole new diet now?" every 6 mos...but our go to while she was still eating dairy was a pizza with pineapple, jalapenos, and green olives - sweet, spicy, and savory. 

I'm not a fan of green olives, i prefer the black variety. It gives more of that olive oil taste imo. However I can see your pizza tasting quite nice.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Agreed.  Pineapple with pepperoni and sausage balances the salty and the sweet something lovely.

And let’s be real, even if you don’t like it on your pizza, pineapple isn’t even in the top 5 weirdest ingredients to put on a pizza.  When I first moved to Cali, my friends took me to a pizza place in Larchmont and they ordered pizza with carrots and lettuce and other veggies on it.  Basically a salad on top of a pizza (why not just put that salad in a bowl to eat alongside your pizza??). I went back the next day by myself and ordered a couple slices of pepperoni which was delicious. 

Pineapple thrives when paired with salty and fatty ingredients which is why it works well with pepperoni and sausage.

Ham like the one below lack the saltiness and fattiness and yet quite often I see this type of ham on Hawaiian pizza and it disappoints every time. No wonder people are so divided when it comes to pineapple on pizza because they all tried the crappy Hawaiian.

Ham-sliced-2-324x324.jpg

Speaking of weird pizza toppings, if I ever get the chance I would love to try beef, onion, horseradish, parsnip and green bell pepper on pizza. I just know this combo will work.

Roasted parsnips is delicious and sweet tasting. Putting thin slices of it on pizza and placed under high heat, surely wonderful things will happen.

When i say horseradish, i mean the condiment. It pairs beautifully with beef and it has a bit of a kick, a surprising "heat" if you will and will be a great alternative to chilli. We have horseradish with beef for our Sunday roasts in the UK.

Onion would unify all the flavours together and the green pepper is just to add colour to the pizza. Green pepper is not sweet unlike red/orange/yellow peppers so it shouldn't overwhelm the sweetness of the parsnips.

Beef and onion goes well together. Beef and horseradish goes well together. Beef and green pepper goes well together. Pretty sure beef and parsnips goes well together too. Theoretically it should work.

Like the pineapple where you have the heat, the meat and the sweet. The same concept can be applied here.

Meat - Beef
Heat - Horseradish
Sweet - Parsnip
Unifier - Onion
Colour - Pepper.

Edited by Chili

Just now, Chili said:

Pineapple thrives when paired with salty and fatty ingredients.

Ham like the one below lack the saltiness and fattiness and yet quite often I see this type of ham on Hawaiian pizza and it disappoints every time. No wonder people are so divided when it comes to pineapple on pizza because they all tried the crappy Hawaiian.

Ham-sliced-2-324x324.jpg

I never liked ham of any shape or form. Adding that as a topping on pizza is infinitely more egregious to me lol. 

10 minutes ago, Chili said:

Pineapple thrives when paired with salty and fatty ingredients which is why it works well with pineapple and sausage.

Ham-sliced-2-324x324.jpg

Speaking of weird pizza toppings, if I ever get the chance I would love to try beef, onion, horseradish, parsnip and green bell pepper on pizza. I just know this combo will work.

Roasted parsnips is delicious and sweet tasting. Putting thin slices of it on pizza and placed under high heat, surely wonderful things will happen.

When i say horseradish, i mean the condiment. It pairs beautifully with beef and it has a bit of a kick, a surprising "heat" if you will and will be a great alternative to chilli. We have horseradish with beef for our Sunday roasts in the UK.

Onion would unify all the flavours together and the green pepper is just to add colour to the pizza. Green pepper is not sweet unlike red/orange/yellow peppers so it shouldn't overwhelm the sweetness of the parsnips.

Beef and onion goes well together. Beef and horseradish goes well together. Beef and green pepper goes well together. Pretty sure beef and parsnips goes well together too. Theoretically it should work.

Like the pineapple where you have the heat, the meat and the sweet. The same concept can be applied here.

Meat - Beef
Heat - Horseradish
Sweet - Parsnip
Unifier - Onion
Colour - Pepper.

Worked at a pizza place for a long time and we made a bunch of weird pizzas there.  A few favs were pineapple/onion, pineapple/jalapeno, pineapple/onion/jalapeno, pepperoni/onion/jalapeno, and canadian bacon/pickle . Also made chili dog pizzas and one year we tried making a green bean casserole pizza.

Edited by Tperk