Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

32 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

And we're a top 5 offense through 5 weeks. If Love and the WRs can simply get on time with each other and the WRs can consistently catch the ball, we're cooking. 

The passing game needs to be better absolutely. And there's good reason to think it can/will be.

Leaving a lot on the field right now. Hopefully hit their stride for when it matters most!

4 hours ago, AustrianPacker said:

Maybe Doubs can try to rush the passer next game? 

I'm all for it. Seriously though Cooper has to blitz more often. As bad as the pressure has been a CB blitz or two wouldn't hurt either. 

I'd say blitz from the slot, but Nixon is so bad at blitzing it's a waste of time.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I'm all for it. Seriously though Cooper has to blitz more often. As bad as the pressure has been a CB blitz or two wouldn't hurt either. 

I'd say blitz from the slot, but Nixon is so bad at blitzing it's a waste of time.

I'm hoping Bullard plays more slot too.

Didn't Nixon get a strip sack on a slot blitz?

• Like 2

Nixon has blitzed 5 times this season.  He has 3 QB hits, 2 sacks and a forced fumble to show for it.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Here is a piece about how well ILB Edgerrin Cooper is playing. He does look spectacular on tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbuTU7J12D4

He and Evan Williams are two rookies that certainly have a 👍

Contrast with pass rushers Van Ness and Gary, who are currently 👎

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I have a hard time with these videos when the creator puts out something new for each fanbase every week declaring "so and so player is a STEAL" blah blah blah. Probably a good business model, but feels very calculated and algo-focused.

3 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I have a hard time with these videos when the creator puts out something new for each fanbase every week declaring "so and so player is a STEAL" blah blah blah. Probably a good business model, but feels very calculated and algo-focused.

Well, I never thought much about a player being a 'steal', but I was very impressed by the tape I saw.

• Like 1

Here's a very interesting blurb from a new Go Long interview with Ron Wolf.  This is something I hadn't heard before.

Go Long: So you’re the director of player personnel with the New York Jets that prior ‘91 draft and you hold the 34th overall pick and you’re going to take Brett Favre with that pick, correct? You had conviction then.

Wolf: Yeah, no question. We were going to take Brett Favre. But they had used (their first-round pick) on Rob Moore in the supplemental draft. So Steinberg was working the phones trying to get up to get Favre. He thought he had a deal. And when the Cardinals came up, I think the Cardinals might have been in front, might have been (32nd). They said, “No, the guy that we want is there.” So fortunately for me, the Jets lost Brett Favre. (Note: The Falcons took Favre at No. 33, the Jets selected QB Browning Nagle at No. 34.)