Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

57 minutes ago, Tyty said:

A mixture of walking 15 miles a day at work and having bronchitis for 6 weeks brought my weight down to 238. First time it’s been that low since 9th grade or so. Highest it ever was was 340 lol

You weigh less than Homer Simpson now, congrats!

Good job, Ty.

Anybody try out any of the cryotherapy?  Does it help with healing at all?  Any weight loss benefits (secondary benefits)?

There's a place near me that is offering $100/month for whole body cryo sessions.  I am having trouble getting rid of knee pain in my left knee from an old injury so I haven't been able to run or jog the last month or so.  Also, I heard that a 3 minute sesh can burn like 500 cals or something.  

But, I can't find anything to substantiate these claims.  Most studies say that the data is inconclusive at this point and might amount to a placebo. 

11 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

Good job, Ty.

Anybody try out any of the cryotherapy?  Does it help with healing at all?  Any weight loss benefits (secondary benefits)?

There's a place near me that is offering $100/month for whole body cryo sessions.  I am having trouble getting rid of knee pain in my left knee from an old injury so I haven't been able to run or jog the last month or so.  Also, I heard that a 3 minute sesh can burn like 500 cals or something.  

But, I can't find anything to substantiate these claims.  Most studies say that the data is inconclusive at this point and might amount to a placebo. 

Cold burns calories, esp. doing on/off cold sessions. It's been studied a bit. 

I suspect it works, if your results are realistic. I think this is meant more for leanish people trying to get very lean, or the someone trying to get rid of some extra pounds. I don't think it's meant for those with higher BF%.

There's also something called Cool Sculpting. It's expensive, but meant for lean people to eliminate fat in problem areas around the midsection. 

I've seen a guy just using ice packs or cold compresses on a problem area for 30 minutes and day with great results in a few short weeks,

Edited by freak_of_nature

6 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Cold burns calories, esp. doing on/off cold sessions. It's been studied a bit. 

I suspect it works, if your results are realistic. I think this is meant more for leanish people trying to get very lean, or the someone trying to get rid of some extra pounds. I don't think it's meant for those with higher BF%.

There's also something called Cool Sculpting. It's expensive, but meant for lean people to eliminate fat in problem areas around the midsection. 

I've seen a guy just using ice packs or cold compresses on a problem area for 30 minutes and day with great results in a few short weeks,

Yeah, I've heard of the coolsculpting and looked into it briefly.  I doubt that someone could use icepacks/compresses to achieve the same thing in a DIY-type situation.  I know the cryochambers/saunas go to -300 degrees or something.

Not only just for the fat loss, I am more so interested if it does in fact help heal you faster with muscle soreness.  You hear anything about its healing properties?  I am more focused on that aspect.  That's the part where I cannot find studies to show if it does provide accelerated healing properties.

Edited by jonu62882

4 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

Yeah, I've heard of the coolsculpting and looked into it briefly.  I doubt that someone could use icepacks/compresses to achieve the same thing in a DIY-type situation.  I know the cryochambers/saunas go to -300 degrees or something.

Not only just for the fat loss, I am more so interested if it does in fact help heal you faster with muscle soreness.  You hear anything about its healing properties?  I am more focused on that aspect.  That's the part where I cannot find studies to show if it does provide accelerated healing properties.

i don't know much about the healing, but I remember cold baths after football practices to heal up.

The ice packs were to replicate the Cool Sculpting, which is for lean people with trouble spots. It's just a focused procedure at those spots. That full body cryo chamber is something else completely. 

Once I hit a desired weight I'll be doing a lot of research on the cryochamber for any type of health purposes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 2:23 PM, freak_of_nature said:

Your body fat has stored vitamins. 

Dry fasting increases the autophagy that's desired for a fast.

google "snake diet" for the guru on this stuff: Cole Robinson

Just an FYI for folks considering this, the guy who he’s referencing advocates drinking piss, specifically that it cured herpes and athletes foot.

I’m not saying fasting doesn’t have it’s place, but this dude’s off his friggin rocker.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just an FYI for folks considering this, the guy who he’s referencing advocates drinking piss, specifically that it cured herpes and athletes foot.

I’m not saying fasting doesn’t have it’s place, but this dude’s off his friggin rocker.

I drink my piss, and have neither herpes nor athletes foot. So does it work?
so-do-you-want-more-ryan-gosling_zps22d4

Seriously though, seems like he would just be openly swindling money from people until they stupidly let themselves die if he is going to make those kinds of claims. There was the chick that died in TLC who had a nutritionist say he could put you on a diet that would cure AIDS and cancer. Made a hell of a living off of stupid people. lol

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I drink my piss, and have neither herpes nor athletes foot. So does it work?
so-do-you-want-more-ryan-gosling_zps22d4

Seriously though, seems like he would just be openly swindling money from people until they stupidly let themselves die if he is going to make those kinds of claims. There was the chick that died in TLC who had a nutritionist say he could put you on a diet that would cure AIDS and cancer. Made a hell of a living off of stupid people. lol

He doesn't sell things; He works off of donations.

3 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

What I'm saying is that he's not hocking his own brand of nutritional products. Not even sure how many T's he sold, the cost to make the shirts, etc. I think things are pricey in Canada, generally.

Lol there’s nothing to sell, he’s advocating starvation 😂 

But in all seriousness, fasting is all well and good, and extended fasts will likely burn a ton of fat, but they don’t correct the bad habits people develop that lead to them being overweight.

He’s taken a good thing to the extreme that will likely lead most people to essentially yo-yo dieting.

You also remove all the pleasure associated with eating and dining with others, which is 100% not necessary to lose weight.