Bennett out as OC, Van Pelt out as QB Coach

Hawkfan191

2 minutes ago, ugLymayNe said:

I'd hate to lose him but just as much as I'd dislike seeing him as offensive coordinator. I agree - give the dude a raise

I think it depends on what happens with play calling.  If Mac keeps the play calling, promoting him to OC doesn't really change a whole lot.  Or at least I'd hope it wouldn't.  Either way, this OC hire is going to tell us what kind of stance they are taking on Mac.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I think it depends on what happens with play calling.  If Mac keeps the play calling, promoting him to OC doesn't really change a whole lot.  Or at least I'd hope it wouldn't.  Either way, this OC hire is going to tell us what kind of stance they are taking on Mac.

opportunity cost of making him the OC is you can't hire a good OC from outside the building.  There's definitely a hidden cost of making an OL coach who doesn't contribute to the game plan into the OC.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

opportunity cost of making him the OC is you can't hire a good OC from outside the building.  There's definitely a hidden cost of making an OL coach who doesn't contribute to the game plan into the OC.

I'd be really, really surprised if Campen was part of the game planning for the offense.  He's obviously not the one making the final calls, but if he's not providing input than maybe he's part of the problem.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It changes a whole helluva lot. He would no longer coach the OL.

Sometimes moving someone from a position they excel at weakens 2 groups

yeah, who knows what the campen impact really is.  He's definitely on the list of guys you want to keep around.  OC is basically the sole leadership position on offense under McCarthy, so you want to ensure that whoever is in that spot is there because they are bringing a lot of input.  I don't like promoting a guy who is good at one thing because you're afraid of losing him, and then assuming he can do the next thing when they really aren't all that related.

We know Campen can coach the heck out of em at OL.  We don't know if he can do anything more.  I'm ok with Campen at OC I guess, but I hate the rationale that we should promote him to avoid losing him.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

It changes a whole helluva lot. He would no longer coach the OL.

Sometimes moving someone from a position they excel at weakens 2 groups

I believe our OC isn't ran the same way most teams are, where the OC is the play caller.  They're part of the game planning, which means less individual coaching.

Archived