Bennett out as OC, Van Pelt out as QB Coach

Hawkfan191

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agreed. Dont want to diss the guy, but I never caught the reasoning for his selection for all those positions - but you wanna know?

Sometimes I figure there's greater minds than mine......about some things at least  :)

If you like greater minds, you should check out some of @AlexGreen#20's post.  He's really insightful in the X's and O's.  Also, @squire12 has had some really impressive posts as well.

1 hour ago, Pizza In A Cup said:

Maybe Mcadoo and Philbin come back?

I would be a fan of Philbin coming back to be OC. Those years were when our offense was an elite unit that could actually game plan to do well against good defenses. Our offense has been so lame for the last few years. Even when we've statistically been really good in the regular season, the elite defenses have dominated out offense. 2015 Denver, 2012 Seattle, 2012-2013 SF, 2014 Seattle come to mind. Our offense hasn't really had a great game plan against elite defenses. We think we can go toe to toe with an elite pass rush and secondary and not add any wrinkles and we get crushed. That game against Denver was embarrassing. Our offense looked pathetic. All in all, you watch our offense and there's rarely anything easy out there. Aaron Rodgers was putting up Joe Montana numbers in the playoffs with Philbin at OC.

27 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It changes a whole helluva lot. He would no longer coach the OL.

Sometimes moving someone from a position they excel at weakens 2 groups

Here is where you are wrong. OC in GB is a made up position where they pay you more to do your same job so you don't leave.

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Here's my view.

A. You bet Rodgers will get hurt and spend money on a guy who will otherwise never play.

B. You bet Rodgers won't get hurt and spend money on a guy who can contribute regardless.

I'm not advocating a **** backup QB, but isn't B what all these guys want that question everything?

Looking at the veteran QBs who signed last offseason, you're looking at roughly $2-3M in terms of AAV for a backup.  Obviously, the higher-end backups are going to get paid more and are probably going to go to a team who has a clearer shot to a starting QB.  Is spending that extra $2-3M on a backup QB wise?  I'll let you guys decide.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Looking at the veteran QBs who signed last offseason, you're looking at roughly $2-3M in terms of AAV for a backup.  Obviously, the higher-end backups are going to get paid more and are probably going to go to a team who has a clearer shot to a starting QB.  Is spending that extra $2-3M on a backup QB wise?  I'll let you guys decide.

And of all those 3 mil guys, Case is the only recent one who did work, as far as I remember. The rest are pretty bad.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

MM giving up play calling and taking it back kinda ruined the dynamics of the offensive coaching staff and MM has been juggling it around trying to make it work. Clements basically retired because of this. I was never happy with Bennett as OC...there wasn't much creativity with our offense which implies he was lacking in the X and Os aspect of the game when he always been fantastic teaching technique as a position coach. MM wiping the slate clean was probably the right thing to do.

Van Pelt failed with Hundley. 3 years and very little improvement to show for it. I would be surprised if MM hires a young unproven guy like Raih to become the new QB coach. Maybe he sees an opportunity to bring in someone like Graham Harrell who actually has experience playing the position and has been in the Packers system before.

I feel the same way. With Bennett at OC elite defenses crushed our offense which didn't use to happen. No creativity at all.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

And of all those 3 mil guys, Case is the only recent one who did work, as far as I remember. The rest are pretty bad.

But are they better than Brett Hundley?  Are they $2-3M better than Hundley?

2 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

I feel the same way. With Bennett at OC elite defenses crushed our offense which didn't use to happen. No creativity at all.

Bennett had OC next to his name but it's Mike who is the one calling the plays so if you're worried about the lack of creativity....it's McCarthy

Archived