Bennett out as OC, Van Pelt out as QB Coach

Hawkfan191

9 minutes ago, Green19 said:

If MM is still calling plays... my top choice is Philibin. His strength is organization and management of the offense. They had a historical offense with McCarthy calling plays and Philibin managing the day to day

We also had Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Driver, and Finley

I don't imagine MM has any major changes planned for the offense, so bringing Philben back seems like a good choice at OC.  The primary considerations for the position at this point are probably familiarity with MM's system, and the ability to work well with both MM and Rodgers.  Philben is probably as good as it's going to get in both of those areas.

42 minutes ago, cannondale said:

We also had Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, Driver, and Finley

Understandable but my point is when he left it was a huge deal. Because of just how organized he was. It was one of those cases were he allowed others to just focus on their jobs type of deal.

If MM is still calling plays then we just need the best manager for that position.

Philibin seems to be at his best in that role.

Just now, Green19 said:

Understandable but my point is when he left it was a huge deal. Because of just how organized he was. It was one of those cases were he allowed others to just focus on their jobs type of deal.

If MM is still calling plays then we just need the best manager for that position.

As long as everything is taken into consideration - I'm fine with it. Hindsight shows he had a heck of a lot to work with

54 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I wonder if he and his family would be cool with a return to WI after they tragically lost their son in Oshkosh

That was one of the reasons cited for his departure

Two possible candidates for QB coach: Graham Harrell and Byron Leftwich.

Leftwich is the more intriguing of the two as he could lose his job because Arians has retired and the new head coach may want to bring his own guys in. He has Pittsburgh connections that McCarthy can tap into. Arians has publically backed him as a potential head coach one day. I think he would be a worthy addition to our coaching staff if we can get him. He could be a surprise outside candidate for offensive co-ordinator if he's that highly rated?

Harrell is currently an offensive co-ordinator and QB coach for North Texas. He knows the Packers offensive system which is an advantage but his age and lack of experience coaching at the top level will count against him.

As for Offensive co-ordinator we are hamstrung by the fact MM will retain playcalling duties. Philbin is clearly the top candidate but what about someone different who can add an injection of fresh ideas and new perspectives. John DeFilippo is a QB coach who has done an excellent job with Wentz but would he use this opportunity to trade up for a non-playcalling role? There's Wade Wilson who is currently unemployed but was instrumental in the development of Romo and Prescott.

Joe Lombardi is another candidate but he was fired from Detroit and was replaced with Jim Bob Cooter who looks likely to land a job as an co-ordinator somewhere. A dark horse could be Kevin Stefanski who done a good job with Case Keenum, also Greg Olsen who oversaw Goff this season, Ken Dorsey with Cam Newton, Kevin O'Connell with just one year with Cousins, Sean Ryan with Watson and previously worked with Eli Manning, Jerry Schuplinski with Tom Brady but he probably has his eye on the co-ordinator job if McDaniels leaves to be head coach.

Of course our next co-ordinator doesnt have to have a QB background lol but it does help imo.

6 hours ago, Chili said:

co-ordinator

6 hours ago, Chili said:

co-ordinator

6 hours ago, Chili said:

co-ordinator

6 hours ago, Chili said:

co-ordinator

If there's a co-ordinator, what's an ordinator?  

I like Leftwich as a qb coach option.  Arians was bringing him along nicely and he brings a very different vibe and set of experiences to this staff.  No thx to Harrell.

Archived