New Coordinators(If Needed)

vikings209

14 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

not sure why the guy would want to leave the Eagles. He's the QB coach of Wentz and Foles, right? sounds like a pretty good place to be in.

but then i don't know anything of his motivations.

Maybe the chance to get to call plays, and get his name to be even hotter next year for a HC gig? 

Also i think the Min OC job is an attractive one with the youth/talent on offense and potentially getting the QB of his choice. Shurmur got a gig after one good year here in Min, Flip could look to replicate. 

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings had beaten the Eagles, they would have been able to interview DeFilippo last week, hence the earlier report about making a decision last week. But since they lost to the Eagles they needed to wait until after the Super Bowl. 

Remember, since DeFilippo isn’t interviewing for a HC spot, he couldn’t interview before the Eagles’ season was done. 

When did the Vikings say though that they were going to announce their OC hire after the championship game? 

The only thing delaying the process showed is that they wanted to interview him. Wanting to interview someone doesn't mean signs point to him being the hire.

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

not sure why the guy would want to leave the Eagles. He's the QB coach of Wentz and Foles, right? sounds like a pretty good place to be in.

but then i don't know anything of his motivations.

Not only that, but why are we desperate to hire him?

He's not the playcaller in Philadelphia. He's not even the OC without playcalling duties. He's the QB coach behind the OC who doesn't have playcalling duties. At least Stefanski was only one rung behind the playcaller this year, but DeFilippo is two rungs behind.

So does he have a ton of previous OC and/or playcalling experience? Nope, just one year calling plays for the 2015 Cleveland Browns. Great resume there.

OK, so even if you go young at least you pair him with a high-quality QB coach to help him along. Todd Downing? Is that the best you could do? I know he's #oneofus, but come on...

If you're going to go inexperienced, to me I think you need to stay in-house with the guy who's paid his dues in the organization and has the respect of a lot of the offensive players. If not, go hire someone with a few more years under his belt.

16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings should go after Todd Downing as their quarterbacks coach. 

If DeFilippo is hired as the OC, that's quite possible.  They've not worked together, but they were both QB coach for the Raiders...DeFilippo under Dennis Allen/Sparano, and Downing under Del Rio.  

5 hours ago, Klomp said:

Not only that, but why are we desperate to hire him?

He's not the playcaller in Philadelphia. He's not even the OC without playcalling duties. He's the QB coach behind the OC who doesn't have playcalling duties. At least Stefanski was only one rung behind the playcaller this year, but DeFilippo is two rungs behind.

So does he have a ton of previous OC and/or playcalling experience? Nope, just one year calling plays for the 2015 Cleveland Browns. Great resume there.

OK, so even if you go young at least you pair him with a high-quality QB coach to help him along. Todd Downing? Is that the best you could do? I know he's #oneofus, but come on...

If you're going to go inexperienced, to me I think you need to stay in-house with the guy who's paid his dues in the organization and has the respect of a lot of the offensive players. If not, go hire someone with a few more years under his belt.

I personally agree with you, but I can possibly understand the fascination, as the description of DeFilippo is almost like the offensive version of Zimmer in his attention to detail and his work ethic.  So, I can see what Zimmer would see in him.  

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Agree.  The Eagles just have to grant the Vikings' permission within the 10 day period.  Obviously, they are going to be a bit busy over the next few days, so any interview probably won't happen until the weekend anyway.  

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Can you imagine what Lamar Jackson could do with DeFilippo developing him (the same way he developed Wentz), and running Pederson's RPO offense? (I assume DeFilippo would run pretty much the same thing)

can you imagine what Heimdallr would be doing if this was the case?!  ¬¬

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Philadelphia’s offense contains some RPO plays, but it is not an RPO based offense. The Eagles very much run a strong West Coast,  pro style offense. 

which Foles can't really run, which is why they had to go RPO.  

48 minutes ago, disaacs said:

which Foles can't really run, which is why they had to go RPO.  

He was running the WCO well this post season.  Not everything the Eagles were running was RPO. Not every play action is RPO. 

Goeff Schwartz has been doing a great breakdown of what the Eagles were doing, and what people are misconstruing as RPO. 

Archived